No customization options are available.

SHAD SH36 saddlebags

Discussion in 'Parts & Accessories' started by Richard230, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I recently purchased a set of SHAD SH36 saddlebags and have installed them on the SHAD “P3” mounting system designed for the 2015/16 RS/S (and apparently a long list of other motorcycles, too) on my 2016 R1200RS. The mounting system (naturally) requires the removal of the stock BMW mounting brackets that are supplied with the vehicle - no doubt in the hope that you will purchase the expensive BMW bags to hang on them. While the SHAD brackets are very strong, they are not as unobtrusive as the BMW ones and weigh more. But they do provide an excellent location to grip when placing the bike on or off the center stand. The only issue that I had when installing them was that the supplied instructions had an error. The right side lower attachment fits on the outside of the muffler bracket and not at the inside (nearest the wheel), as shown in the instructions. You will also need a 2” diameter steel washer to protect the rubber washer that is on the muffler bracket from pressure exerted by the saddlebag mount attachment fitting. Now on to the saddlebags:

The saddlebags seem very well made and designed. Since they are a single-wall design, they are much lighter than the R1200R BMW bags that I used to own. I have a very accurate scale. The bags weigh 8.15 pounds (3.675 kg) each and are rated to carry a maximum of 22 pounds per bag. They have a large shelf attached to the inside half of the bags that makes it easy to use the clamshell design and will easily contain a full face helmet. The lock mechanism is very simple and seems sturdy. You receive an extra key and an extra lock with the bags.

The mounting system seems is simple and secure. Nothing fancy, but it works. However the bags are kind of tough to install when new as the lower rubber mount is a tight fit on the mounting bar, as is the upper bag mount. It takes a lot of force to attach the bags to the brackets the first time you try and I found that I needed to spray silicon lube on all of the parts that contact the mounting bars. Once the bags are attached, they seem very secure and there is no movement or rattling while under way. They are relatively wide and appear to extend slightly past the width of the stock RS handlebars. I don't think I will be “splitting lanes” with the bags installed. But then that is what most riders have to think about when using most any hard luggage.

When you purchase the SHAD saddlebags you get your choice of four colored inserts that attach to the top of the bags. I chose the “titanium” color and that is what is shown in the attached photographs. I believe they also can supply, black, white, carbon and dark gray color inserts.

All in all, I am happy with the SHAD SH36 saddlebags and their “3P” mounting system. I feel that they are probably one of the best hard bag values currently available for the BMW R1200RS.

The SHAD SH36 bags sell in the U.S. For $469, with the bag mounts specifically designed for the R/RS going for $125. Oddly, these are the least expensive mounts they sell, with other motorcycle model bag fitment kits going for more, such as the $165 kit for the BMW F800R model. Whatever the price, it is still less than the BMW option and is worth considering if you are in the market for hard plastic saddlebags.
    R1200RS.

Attached Files:

• 007 (2).JPG
      007 (2).JPG
      File size:
      995.8 KB
      Views:
    • 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      691.1 KB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      975.3 KB
      Views:
    • 027.JPG
      027.JPG
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    • 029.JPG
      029.JPG
      File size:
      913 KB
      Views:
    • 030.JPG
      030.JPG
      File size:
      890.1 KB
      Views:
    • 031.JPG
      031.JPG
      File size:
      794.4 KB
      Views:
    • 032.JPG
      032.JPG
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
    • 034.JPG
      034.JPG
      File size:
      830.3 KB
      Views:
    • 035.JPG
      035.JPG
      File size:
      862.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    Bill the Cat, ikarian and Alda like this.
  2. Alda

Alda Active Member

Richard
    An interesting alternative to the BM option but they are certainly wide.
    Can you fit parking sensors to them to avoid collisions?
    Alan

3. Richard230

Alda, I don't know what "parking sensors" are. All I know is that I will be taking up about half an entire travel lane while I am riding with the saddlebags installed. So I will just avoid any potential brushes with adjacent vehicles and stationary obstacles. Interestingly, these are SHAD's smallest saddlebags, I believe they have two much larger ones for those people that ride two-up and go camping, I guess.

I could be wrong, but I think the SHAD bags, while wide, are still narrower than the BMW saddlebags.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    Alda likes this.
  4. Alda

Alda Active Member

Richard
    They are proximity sensors fitted into the bumpers (fenders) to aid parking.
    Alan

5. Richard230

Those sound like the wire "curb feelers" that many people installed on their 1950's American land barges so that they could stay away from concrete curbs and not take the chance of scratching their expensive chrome wheel covers. I guess you could use something like that on saddlebags. No doubt they are a standard Honda Gold Wing accessory. ;)

Alda likes this.
  6. Richard230

I just received a set of inner bags for the SHAD luggage. Normally I would use plastic garbage bags as my luggage liners, but they are getting really expensive in California due to our environmental concerns and are taxed very heavily. So I invested in a set of real soft bags to fit the SH36 panniers, which I purchased from the U.S. SHAD distributor for only $64 (for both left and right bags). I don't know if they are as fancy as the BMW bags, but sure are cheaper. They seem well made, have a nice smooth nylon liner bonded to the inside of the luggage, have an exterior paper map-size zip pocket on each side, a handle on the top and an included detachable shoulder strap. Seems like a good deal to me. Photos attached.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
    ikarian likes this.
  7. Jetpilot5

Jetpilot5 Member

Thanks for the nice review. Where exactly is the clearance issue with the right side bag mount? Just looking at your pictures and the mounting tab fitting to the outside of the muffler bracket just doesn't seem right to me. Have read a review from an R1200R owner and no mention of this issue.

8. Kyriv

Kyriv Active Member

Forget the bags. Tell us about that Zero!

9. Richard230

The clearance issue is that if you followed the mounting instructions, the upper bar of the right-hand bag mount would be too close to the tail section's plastic fairing and would not be parallel to it, therefore the right bag could not be installed on the mounting bar. I can only assume that perhaps BMW has altered the 2016 RS's muffler mount slightly compared with the 2015 R12R that SHAD likely used to design their bag mounting system. :confused:

10. Richard230

I have been very happy with my 2014 Zero S, after 9K miles of ownership. On the plus side: it is silent, has excellent torque, accelerates from 30 mph about the same as my RS in 4th gear, costs about 2 cents per mile to operate, has a top speed of 85 mph, requires nothing but chassis maintenance (I haven't been back to my dealer since I bought the bike), uses a maintenance-free Gates drive belt, can be recharged from any 120 or 240V residential wall outlet, and is relatively light weight at 440 pounds (I have the heaviest model that they sell). Also it is nice that the Zero factory is located in Scotts Valley, just east of Santa Cruz, CA and only about 60 miles from my home.

However, the Zero does have negatives: It cost me as much as my RS (although the $2000 Federal and $900 California rebates helped reduce the final purchase price), range varies between 90 and 150 miles, depending upon the speed traveled (65mph or 35mph), recharging a completely dead battery requires about 12 hours, resale value drops about 50% a year because each year substantial new improvements are made by the factory (just like cell phones), the suspension on my model was made by Fast Ace (a Taiwanese manufacturer, not the best suspension manufacturers around - however the new bikes use Japanese suspension components), the brakes and tires leave something to be desired as does the styling, the factory after-sales support is very spotty, most dealers know how to sell them but not how to repair them and reliability has been hit-and-miss, depending upon how the bike was assembled by the part-time workers at the factory - so it helps to be a geek to figure out what might be wrong. Usually most motorcycle shops do not have geeks working in their service department, making repairs even more difficult. (The Zero dealership with the best service and largest sales in the world is located in Hollywood and is owned by an electrical engineer.)

I use my Zero mostly to replace my car when performing local shopping trips or other chores and when visiting local relatives (where I can recharge at their home while visiting) and use one of my other IC (internal combustion) motorcycles for longer trips. Like just about all electric vehicle owners I have "range anxiety" and restrict my trips to about a 40-mile radius. Attached are a few photos of my bike.

I should add that the Zero makes the perfect commuting motorcycle, provided the round trip distance to your workplace is within its battery pack's range.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  11. Richard230

Here is a link to a positive and detailed review by Web Bike World of the SHAD SH36 saddlebags and their P3 mounting system. This review shows the bags installed on a S1000XR, but the bags and mounting hardware look exactly like what I installed on my RS. They state that the bags are fare and away the lightest hard bags that they have tested so far: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-luggage/shad-sh36/shad-sh36-for-bmw-s1000xr.htm
    So far I am very satisfied with the construction and performance of my SHAD SH36 saddlebags.

Web Bike World has also reviewed the SH37 and SH48 top cases here: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-luggage/shad-sh37-sh48-top-case/

12. shootersteve77

shootersteve77 Active Member

I've been thinking about these bags. Thanks for the review. They do look very wide but so do the BMW bags.

13. shootersteve77

shootersteve77 Active Member

I would love to know the dimensions in width of the bags on the bike in comparison to the BMW bags. If anyone knows where to find that info?

14. Sideshow Bob

Sideshow Bob Member

Hi guys - thanks s for all the replies and the Shad boxes look really nice
    In the end I opted for the BMW ones for two reasons:
    I did a deal with the dealer where I am trading in my GS to leave my GS Panniers on the bike as he reckons it will add some £700 worth of value when he sells it so the price I paid for the RS BMW ones was discounted quite nicely
    Secondly we are trying to travel lighter as one reason I am changing to a RS is because I want something less top heavy and we were guilty of taking too much stuff away with us so the RS Panniers will suit that

15. Richard Judd

Richard Judd New Member

What is the width of these bags when fitted?
    Does anyone know the width of BMW and Givi bags?

16. John Johnson

John Johnson New Member

Hi All, are there any issues with aftermarket (Shad or Givi) cases with the Akrapovic exhaust? I know the K1200/1300 conversion is tight with this can, but wondering about the Shads??? Thanks.

17. Richard230

Perhaps this photo, showing the stock muffler and the SHAD brackets, will give you an idea of the fitment. If the Akrapovic muffler isn't much larger in diameter than the stock muffler, it looks like fitting it past the SHAD side case brackets shouldn't be a problem. 032.JPG

Bill the Cat likes this.
  18. John Johnson

John Johnson New Member

Thanks for that Richard, I do some measuring and take a look . . . can't get past how much wider any of the options make the bike!!

19. Richard230

If you want narrower saddlebags, check out the many soft bags on the market.

20. Andy0203

Andy0203 Member

I have the sh36 panniers and the sh58x expandable top box with all the inner bags to match. Although they may be slightly wider at 50mm total wider than the handle bars I don’t have and issue splitting traffic. The top box is awesome it that’s two flip up helmets two pairs of gloves plus bits ! I would recommend these to anyone over the bmw ones.

Attached Files:

Richard230 likes this.