No customization options are available.

Searching for the perfect bike - Ducati Super Sport vs. R1200RS

Discussion in 'R1200RS Versus The Competition' started by Roy Wirthlin, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

That Duc is now "dated" in 2017 eyes. It is not a 916.
    The girl, she is fine in 2017.
    However these comments only relate to the photo.
    In reality, the Duc still will look as good now in the flesh as it ever did, with only a little care and consideration.
    Not so the girl....
    (Men generally are not worried as much about ageing as we fool ourselves into thinking we are a "catch")

2. SD-Biker

SD-Biker Member

anyone want to guess how long before we see a R1200S? figure we're 3 years in to this model...year 5? 2020...earlier 2019?

3. Jeroen1969

Jeroen1969 Well-Known Member

My bet would be on: "Never again, the R1200S is a gonner..".
    The BMW sport section comprises the S1000RR and our beloved R1200RS.
    BMW seems to focus on extending the R9T variant range and the G310 series.

The GS brings in the big bucks for BMW.

Meanwhile, I'm very happy with my RS that is as sporty as I want a bike to be.

4. Dan smith

Dan smith Active Member

I was between a RS and a s1000r the 1000 would be a better choice for me 30 years ago

5. PeTe T

PeTe T Active Member

6. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

Good stuff, Pete. Thanks for sharing. I liked the looks of the SS the moment I saw it: but it doesn't have a shaft and I'm done with chains. I've got to have a ride on one, though!

PeTe T likes this.
  7. Randy Butler

Randy Butler New Member

I am not sure if this has been covered but after now 5000 miles I feel like I can present a bit of a reference point on the R12rs versus my 2007 Ducati ST3 (with upgrades). In the end the ST3 was more like a street going sports car and the R12rs is more like the family sports oriented sedan. In fact the R12rs is less nimble, less performance oriented and feels much heavier, I have a sense the St3 even with less power would eat it alive on a race track but I have nothing to prove that.

The R12rs is more stable and oozes dependability even though I only ever had one problem with my ST3 over 30,000 miles. The R12rs is a great touring bike, more comfortable, and is more adaptable to other riding more sporting roles and basic commuting, where the ST3 was a pretty nice sport bike that could also be a decent sport touring bike with a few modifications.

I will say that I really like both bikes, I clearly feel in love with my ST3 from the first moment I rode her. The R12rs is taking me a bit longer but she has earned my respect and my admiration is growing the more I ride her.

Cheers

Randy

8. Randy Butler

Randy Butler New Member

This weekend I thought more about my comments about my R12rs. I think it is the best all around bike I've ever owned. It is a stable comfortable dependable touring bike with plenty of options, nice features and great side cases. Once you add a taller screen and the nav your good to go. Lower pegs would be awesome as well.

Take the bags off, replace the heavy muffler with a lightweight carbon and you transform this bike into a great around town, twisty road, do anything fun bike.

Even though I thought the ST3 was better at handling I think you have to be a pretty good rider to make the ST3 dance as it's more precarious. For someone like me while it felt like the ST3 was quicker and more nimble, I seem to be able to ride the R12rs faster around corners. I think because it feels so much more stable, confident and maintains its line effortlessly.

Great all around bike, only things I'm not doing with it are, 1) not even trying to bring the front wheel off the ground and 2) I don't think she'd be very competent off road

Anyway yes I have apparently fallen in love with my R12rs. Just took time to appreciate it.

9. To and Fro

To and Fro Active Member

"Just took time to appreciate it." Like many good things in life.
    I also find that I consistently ride faster on this bike. It's confidence inspiring and comfortable.

10. Last

Last Active Member

Richard230 likes this.
  11. To and Fro

To and Fro Active Member

Last likes this.
  12. Last

Last Active Member

That's Arizona, between Fish Creek Hill and Roosevelt Dam. :)

13. To and Fro

To and Fro Active Member

Warm part of the country this time of the year. I haven't been there in a few years but no mistaking that scenery

Last likes this.
  14. Last

Last Active Member

Yup. Part of the reason I didn't get the super sport, felt like that bike was trying to see if it could cook the blood on my thigh, made my whole core hot.

When it's 117 on the RS, my feet get a bit warm, but that's all the heat I feel from the bike. :)

15. To and Fro

To and Fro Active Member

I agree
    When I bought the RS I was concerned that those big cylinders inches away from my shins would put off massive amounts of heat. I was wrong. Sure, I can feel some heat but nothing like I expected.

Grumpy Goat and Last like this.
  16. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

You mean like this?
    IMG_3486.JPG
    You can turn the traction control off completely you know.

17. granitegrey

granitegrey New Member

After a years ownership and 8000 miles I'm very satisfied with the RS.
    Coming from couple of Diavels I appreciate most of all it's sporty touring abilities (quality hard panniers+topcase, windshield, shaft drive, cruise+shifter, great suspension and secure drivability), practical grunty boxer engine and BMW's confidence inspiring quality and reliability (retail+service network) to back that all up. It may not ever turn as many heads as a Ducati, but for me the Diavel's 24/7 jaw-dropping look-at-me ego and drag-racer-like sex appeal became even a tad annoying after 2 years - at least in the front rows of traffic lights. With every respect to Italian design I therefore find the inconspicuousness of the RS very enjoyable - it's very easy to surprise others with it's capability and then return back to "stealth mode". With a flashy hard core sport bike or a badass cruiser you're often tempted to show a bit more in traffic, and that's seldom the case aboard a BMW. RS is truly a do-it-all bike - more like a handsome tool than just a form-over-function type piece of art on two wheels. And that I hope will lead to a lasting relationship after couple of hot girlfriends from Bologna.
    However, the mighty all-rounder RS is still not quite the perfect bike either: it surely could look even better (head lights), the dash is not an outright success, the pannier mounting system is ugly and unpractical plus - let's be honest - the boxer could still use 10-20 more horses. Just to let the Bavarians know when developing the next RS.
    Other than that, it's the best there is in the modern middleweight high-quality mile-eater category.
    And I'm proud to own one.

Bjornar, stuart2820 and To and Fro like this.
  18. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

But is it a "dry" heat. ;)

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  19. To and Fro

To and Fro Active Member

Spot on. I had to read "couple hot girlfriends from bologna" twice just to make sure we were still talking ducs. :D

granitegrey likes this.
  20. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

I too agree with the review in its entirety. Also agree with the post by "Rhino" further down that page when he says that if you add up all the points the RS would be the winner. It is a better bike all around / overall which, for those of us who have to have only one bike, is the way to go. :)

Last likes this.