No customization options are available.

Searching for the perfect bike - Ducati Super Sport vs. R1200RS

Discussion in 'R1200RS Versus The Competition' started by Roy Wirthlin, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Last

Last Active Member

Had to ride the Ducati SS before I bought the RS.

If the SS had cornering ABS, it'd have been a very strong contender. Since it didn't, it wasn't really considered.

Absolutely lovely bike though. Handling was wonderful. Feeling of lightness was great compared to the RS. Couldn't imagine that I'd want to put near as many miles on it though, and the ergonomics were just two different bikes smashed together, it felt like.

Then was the well known Ducati heat, which would mean it'd be too hot to ride half the year (live in a desert).

2. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

I wonder what the RS would feel like if the steering damper were removed? Decades ago I had a large hydraulic damper on a Goldwing sidecar outfit. In a fit of stupidity I entered into a car club gymkhana and dropped off the damper for faster / quicker / easier flipping around. It worked too. Pity about having no reverse.....

3. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

It's horses for courses.......in my mind the RS is a far more integrated bike - heated grips, luggage mounts, better ergos......and......shaft drive.

As a "do it all" bike, the RS is far better and a much more sensible long term machine (how many Ducs do you hear of with >100k miles under their belts......very few).

I bought my RS on the basis of getting at least 10 yrs worth of multi purpose use out of it and I'm happy with that choice.

Jim Evans, Grumpy Goat and Leon.P. like this.
  4. Roy Wirthlin

Roy Wirthlin New Member

I wish I could have taken the R1200RS out for the same extended demo ride. Its hard to learn a bike idiosyncrasies on a 10-15 mile test ride. The only RS warts that jumped out at me were:

1.) Strange jump/wobble the bike made when shifting gears under full throttle - (someone said this is a Boxer quirk and a result of the torque of the in-line crank) - in any case this does not inspire confidence.
    2.) More wind buffeting around the helmet at highway speeds than the SuperSport - not a problem for 10 miles but after 1,000?
    3.) Display cluttered and confusing - this too is something easily overcome

Anything else I should be aware of before I plunk down some hard-earned cash?

All that being said it was obvious that the RS is a better do-it-all bike than the SuperSport and one that you could and would keep for 10+ years. The SuperSport will only make a better touring machine if your rides are limited to solo riding, 50-80 mph, lots of tight twisty roads but this does not reflect reality.

I was surprised to find that I liked the SuperSport better than the Panagale 959, s1000rr, s1000r, monster 1200S or my Diavel. It could be that these other bikes lack wind protection for distance and are too high-strung for the road and the typical traffic conditions you encounter along the way. The SuperSport is beautifully balanced and smooth in terms of power/handling for road conditions and I have to say the funnest bike I have ridden (on the road) so far.

Disclaimer: I am too inseam challenged to try the S1000XR or the Multistrada so cannot comment - but they look like they could be in the running for the "perfect" do it all bike also. Perhaps BMW will come out with the S1000RS ... might buy that without a test ride.

5. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

On your above list:
    1. Not sure what this jump/wobble is ... I didn't notice that when I first got the bike and I certainly don't notice it now. Yes there is a kick in the butt (jump but no wobble) with full throttle lower gear changes but that is attributable to the fact that it has a lot of torque.
    2. The windscreen is a common complaint. It is not low enough to allow only smooth airflow to the helmet and not high enough to push the air over the helmet. It is a compromise and when you consider that we all have different torso height, there will never be a perfect windscreen. Luckily there are many aftermarket options out there so if this is the only real issue then that is a good thing.
    3. Display? What display? :) Seriously, I like the most busy of the displays and I have it set so that I can see only the information I need, which since I have a Navigator, is not that much. Fuel gauge, gear indicator, range mainly ... the speedometer is not accurate enough for me and I don't need a tach as my butt tells me all I need to know about revs.
    There are a few issues with some bikes and you search the forum but I don't think that they are necessarily characteristic of the model, as in some have problems and others don't.

Jim Evans likes this.
  6. Phinj

Phinj Active Member

I wish I could have taken the R1200RS out for the same extended demo ride. Its hard to learn a bike idiosyncrasies on a 10-15 mile test ride.

Anything else I should be aware of before I plunk down some hard-earned cash?

I do not have all of the idiosyncrocies figured out in my 400+ miles on the bike. None of them major or dealbreakers, I am used to bikes of this nature, and rather enjoy a ride with quirks.

Plunk down the cash, I love the versatility, and customizable nature of this bike. I do not think you will regret it. It is a fantastic machine!

7. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

Hi Roy,

The strange jump/twist thing is indeed the torque reaction from the motor........this often seen as a BMW flat twin quirk /character. The older models were worse and also had a much more pronounced twist to the right when revving the bikes at a standstill....like a 3 or4 inch shift to the right. They also used to visibly rock from side to side when idling on the stand. The water boxer does this less but can't quite beat the physics.

Both these traits can be quite disconcerting for those new to boxer engines but are part of the character that makes these bikes grow on you.

Daniel and To and Fro like this.
  8. Aussie Import

The torque reaction is reduced on the LC motor because the clutch assembly rotates in the opposite direction to the motor. This is probably why the Cardin shaft is now on the right. Honda GL 1000s used the clutch mass to reduce torque reaction too.

TimMc, Dan smith and Jim Evans like this.
  9. Dan smith

Dan smith Active Member

We all just have to wait a couple of years ,till the new Ducati gismo comes out , then we can grab the SS under 10 k . I'm still dreaming of a used 1098 to add to my stable . Red only Please . Uncomfortable to ride , over heats in traffic , crazy repair costs. I Don't care I just want to worship it in my garage :)

shootersteve77 and RJC_BMW like this.
  10. Dana Allen

Dana Allen New Member

I think everyone on this forum will be biased toward the RS, but that aside, I was looking for the same features. I created a huge spreadsheet, narrowed down the choices, and finally chose the RS. It has lived up to my expectations. It is comfortable on long journeys, wonderful for my girlfriend, perfect for errands, good in traffic, and I take it to the track as often as I can. It is not as snappy as my old sportbikes, and the footpegs are too low to really get down in the curves, but I often out perform the sportbikes in the twisties, but then lose above about 120mph in the straightaways, when they are still pulling away. Regardless, I always leave the track with a huge smile on my face, comfortably still sitting on the bike I still have to ride a couple hours home.

Dan smith likes this.
  11. Dan smith

Dan smith Active Member

If ducati made automobiles ,When would you buy one ? :rolleyes:

Aussie Import likes this.
  12. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

I love making spreadsheets to make a choice. You list all the factors and compare them, then add weightings so you get the answer you wanted in the first place.

13. Dan smith

Dan smith Active Member

Love making , spreadsheets or bedsheets

Jim Evans likes this.
  14. Aussie Import

Accountancy humour?

Jim Evans likes this.
  15. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

Speaking of Ducati. Anyone notice that BMW doesn't seem to make posters like this one? With BMW all you get is a guy with a 5-day beard riding a GS and covered with mud. Not something that I would want to put on my garage wall. ;)

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      911.9 KB
      Views:
    RJC_BMW likes this.
  16. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

It's worse than that! Nearly every BMW ad or video I now see seems to feature weirdy beardy hipsters. o_O

Jim Evans and Bug Dr. like this.
  17. Dan smith

Dan smith Active Member

:(
    Yes is so sad , how things have changed ,no more sexy advertisement s :(
    It's was in the 80 s snapon had yearly calendars with knock out models one year all of the models were holding air tools in some seggestive ways they were actually laughable and kind of outrageous , snapon hit it out of the park with a few of them I remember one month she was holding a air rachet between her legs ! :D and I did enjoy the babe's

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  18. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

When I first started working in 1974 at the municipal engineering department that I retired from, we used to get the Rigid Tool calendar every year. It featured a topless "pinup" holding one of their power tools on every calendar month. About 5 years later I was told not to post the calendar in the office any more and then they stopped arriving in the office mail. :(

runnerhiker and Dan smith like this.
  19. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

Works for me :p

Do I complain to the dealer or BMW that my RS didn't come with this accessory?

20. shootersteve77

shootersteve77 Active Member

My opinion- the RS is more comfortable but more boring, the Ducati will be more exciting in the short term. As much as I lust for a Ducati Sport, 848 or 1099 as a second bike, it could never be my only bike. I had an S1000R for a year and it was by far the most fun I ever had with my clothes on, but after half an hour, the discomfort was too much to ignore. Out of the 12+ bikes I've had, that's the only one I miss. The most comfortable bike I had was an RT but just couldn't stand the way it looked... the RS was the best compromise for me and looks like it's a keeper.

Jim Evans likes this.