No customization options are available.

Screens.. (yes I know its been done to death)

Discussion in 'R1200RS Appearance Mods' started by R50PPM, May 16, 2017.

1. Bunter

Bunter Active Member

I tried the Ergo 3D and it is easy to fit, you just have to separate the two halves, thread them onto the screen lip from either end and then bolt them back together. I would say that it does definitely improve turbulence and helps reduce wind noise but I'd add a couple of caveats. Of all the screens I've tried I find using them in the raise position is always better than the lowered position.

1. If you use the screen in the upper holes with the screen in the raised position it is very very wobbly. It's much less wobbly if you drop the screen into the lower holes and use it in the raised position.
    2. Even in the lower holes with the screen in the raised position it was very close to my eyeline and I really do not like looking through plastic, other than a visor.

I think that screen angle and a lip of some sort have far more to do with taming turbulence than height so I intend to try some extra spacers under my current favourites, the MRA MXC (summer) and the MRA Touring Vario (winter) to see if I can improve things. Both of these are already far better than the OEM screen (for me). If this works I will see whether I can improve the stock screen at all using the MRA spacers.

2. buransche

buransche Member

I just got about 50 miles of varied riding in on my new Calsci large mounted in the top holes. I am 5'-10" with a 29" inseam on a good day, so I am all torso. I use a Sargent Tall, which is the same height as the standard seat, Helibars, and KD lowered foot pegs.

My initial impression was that it was surprisingly thin and seemingly flimsy. In addition, though well-finished, it seemed like the mounting holes were off when first held up to the frame. However, once I had transplanted the grommets, all fit up just fine. Once mounted, while still "light" feeling, it did feel much better --though nothing like stock. All that said, the optics are fantastic and near crystal clear.

On the road and in the low position, I felt that the inherent buffeting was reduced, but that it may have been a bit noisier than stock which quite surprised me. As I headed towards the interstate, I popped the screen up to the high position and was met with much improved air management. It was on par with my RT -maybe the best in the business at this. No buffeting, much quieter, and if I dipped my head just a tad, I could raise my visor.

All in all, I am very happy with the screen and I would definitely buy it again. And FWIW, I think it is also the best looking of the aftermarket screens.

3. Mattblack000

Mattblack000 Member

Sorry for delay, was out the country. Have had 2 GS’s (air and water cooled) and only tried RS as a courtesy bike and fell in love with it and bizarrely find it far more comfortable for me!! But I don’t do long long rides any more so not so much a problem these days.

4. mzpog

mzpog Member

Bought an MRA MXC on the basis of reviews on here. I can't tell you what it's like to use as the bike only got used for 2 weeks in October (prior to fitting) and is now parked up for winter.

I did however take some photographs for those interested.
    IMG_20171111_185608.jpg IMG_20171111_185944.jpg IMG_20171111_191537.jpg IMG_20171111_191946.jpg

Grumpy Goat and Scorch like this.
  5. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

That windshield looks very similar to the "touring windshield" that I have on my Zero. Be advised, that on my bike, moving the spoiler to a higher position resulted in a lot of noise and buffeting. However, keeping it in the lower position, as shown in your photos, resulted in smooth air flow and minimal noise. :)

6. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Very nice. I also like the size compared with the standard windscreen. Maybe that is the way to go if I do get another windscreen. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

7. Brimstone Mahone

Brimstone Mahone Well-Known Member

FWIW, I've been on the Africa Twin forum lately since my wife just bought one and many folks have the same issue with turbulence/buffeting. The most common "resolution" is to remove the screen. But, of course no one wants to do that appearance-wise so they are going through a similar list of aftermarket products, trying to find one that works. Just seems amusing that new bikes seem to have this issue where I never had it occur previously. BUT the only bikes I have ever owned were either what we now refer to as "naked" bikes (silly-ass moniker) or sport bikes so until the RS, I never really owned a bike with a windscreen that tall.

8. kenf

kenf New Member

R50PPM,
    I have never ridden behind a Puig screen. However, what did and does continue to work for me is an Aeroflow touring screen for my RS. I purchased the tallest screen Aeroflow makes. It's 231/2 inches tall, and 17" at it's widest point. I'm 6' 1" tall, with a 32 inch inseam for pants. I ride with the windscreen mount in the lower position most of the time. With the windscreen in the upper position I can see over the top of the windscreen as well. The Aeroflow is curved at the top to move the air up and over the rider. Additionally, there is a bit of air that is allowed to flow up the backside of the windscreen as on the oem windscreen.
    Of interest to me is that the Aeroflow uses the 2 top most screw holes and the 2 lower most screw holes in securing the screen. Additionally, the windscreen does not "flutter," (flex about and distract), when riding at Interstate speeds.
    http://www.aeroflowscreens.com/R1200RSW/R1200RSWProducts.htm
    Windscreens and wind protection and wind noise are individual and subjective for the operator (a guessing game in a way).

Jim Evans likes this.
  9. XR750

XR750 New Member

10. Grumpy Goat

Another positive review for this screen. Thanks for sharing. How tall are you and what's your inseam, if you don't mind me asking? Just trying to get an idea of your size compared to mine. I am 5'-8" / 30" respectively.

11. jaf

jaf New Member

i have a give touring screen in raised position i get no buffeting at all I'm 5'11

12. XR750

XR750 New Member

I’m 5’-9” with a 31” inseam. I wear shirts with a a 32/33 sleeve length and the bike has std bars and seat. HTH.

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  13. Grumpy Goat

Thanks a bunch. Should work well for me also. :)