No customization options are available.

Screens.. (yes I know its been done to death)

Discussion in 'R1200RS Appearance Mods' started by R50PPM, May 16, 2017.

1. Bunter

Bunter Active Member

I'm 177 and I think you may struggle to be honest. I've pretty much decided that the only way to get protection without buffeting and turbulence is to go with one of the screens with a lip of some sort. The MRA Touring Vario, the MXC and the Wunderlich 3d lip all worked better than the OEM screen or the Wunderlich touring screen.

2. Quiet Mike

Quiet Mike New Member

This response will be the chorus of my next song.

3. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

I finally succumbed to the quest for keeping bugs off my faceshield and made up this windshield extender from an old faceshield, two old screws (BMW Torx, but I can't remember what from) and a couple of long grommets I found in my odds 'n sods box. Cost nothing, doesn't do anything for the noise but does make things a bit smoother. As for the bugs, I have to wait for another warm day...

Attached Files:

ray2 likes this.
  4. Andy0203

Andy0203 Member

I have the pb touring screen i do have beffeting but a lot of body protection from the elements

Attached Files:

5. m1bjr

m1bjr Member

I've gone short- Powerbronze Adventure Sports dark tint.
    http://www.powerbronze.co.uk/334298...EEN---BMW-,R1200RS,-15-17-(385-MM)---RED.item

It moves air flow the same way as the OEM on high mount but is several inches shorter.
    For those in hot climates it would work well on the low position as the wind hits me at nipple height.
    On high setting its just below the chin. Remarkable given the size.
    It's smooth air too. I'm 5'11" and 32" inseam BTW.
    Looks sharp too - sports bike style.

6. To and Fro

To and Fro Active Member

I've opted for that screen in summer months. Mine is "black" and definitely has a sportier look to it. The airflow is massive but non turbulent and that's exactly what I want in the 90-100 degree summer heat.

Last likes this.
  7. Last

Last Active Member

I have an unusually short torso, so while the PB Sport is by far the best looking screen that flows the most air, I get buffeting to the helmet from it.

Wish for a shorter yet option...

8. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

Would a booster seat help?

Bravo likes this.
  9. SteveB

SteveB Member

Attached Files:

10. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY New Member

I tried the PUIG Racing, lower position, higher position and stock windshield higher position. I'm 185cm (~6') and the difference is very very marginal so you know!

m1bjr likes this.
  11. m1bjr

m1bjr Member

12. Neil Rathbone

Neil Rathbone New Member

I've had all sorts of bikes. The last ones being 2 1200GS and a KTM 1190. I changed the screens on them for different reasons. Mainly where the wind hit you. The wind is not the issue with the R1200RS screen, its bugs!! I've never had a bike with a screen that splatters your visor in the same way this one does. I'm constantly cleaning my visor and I'm guessing it's got a 100 mile bug range. Much further without cleaning and it's very hard to see.
    I noticed another comment about this.
    Without putting something horrendous on the bike, has anyone got a suggestion

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  13. Jim Evans

My no-cost windshield mod has definitely improved the bug situation. I still get the odd one between the eyes but most of them now end up on my helmet. My bug range is still only a couple of hundred km, but I suspect we have more bugs than you.

14. Jim Evans

And as a further bonus, at a steady 140 Km/h, if you lower your head an inch or so ( which you may want to do to stop it feeling like it's being pulled off ) there's a lovely calm bubble. But lower another couple of inches and its DEAFENING.
    In 300 buggy kilometres, just one in the face.

15. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Sure ... but there is no magic bullet. Rain-Away Plastic water repellent, a microfibre cloth, and eye glass cleaner. The Rain Away does double duty, making rain beads roll off and also making bug guts slide off when liquid (just quickly turn head to the side while in the slipstream) or when dried and being cleaned off. Eye glass cleaner for periodic cleanings, although the wet paper towel followed by microfibre dry-off is preferred.

In other words, without pushing the air over the top of your head, the only solution I see is cleaning the bugs off the visor.

ray2 likes this.
  16. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

Keep in mind that paper towel is ground up wood particles so you wouldn't take a 2x4 to clean your shield. Some cotton cloth like the sleeve off an old t-shirt might save some scratches on the shield.

Grumpy Goat and ray2 like this.
  17. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

Your no-cost mod was???

18. Jim Evans

Look back a page or two: there are photos.

Mr. 36654 likes this.
  19. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Good point but I should clarify. :)

In my quick cleaning regimen, the paper towel is throughly wetted with water (almost dripping) and then draped across the face shield to soften the abrasive gritty bugs, which to me are more abrasive than a dry wood-based paper towel. After a couple of minutes, even five if the bugs are really baked on, the wet paper is gently wiped across the visor to remove the bug bits. Remember there is a lot of water here - very important. Then the microfibre cloth is used to gently wipe the visor dry. There should be no bug bits at this stage, just water. If there are still bug bits, then the wet paper towel is folded over and a clean face is used to gently dab the bug bits away.

This technique can be applied anywhere, including at a gas station while stopped to get gas. In that case I apply the wet paper towel (yes, the coarse wood-paper from the windshield-washer bin/garbage caddy!) to the face shield and let it sit while I pump gas. By the time I am done gassing up, and retrieving my microfibre cloth from the top box, the bugs bit are soft and easily dabbed off the visor. The hardest part at a gas station is getting clean water to wet the paper. I have seen me use the windshield washer fluid to wet the towel, if it appears fresh.

I have no micro scratches on my visors. ;)

Now cleaning the pinlock lens - that is a delicate operation and subject for another day and discussion ... :)

20. Hugh

Hugh Member

I am thinking of getting the Wunderlich Ergo Screen Extension from Nippy Norman's. Just how fiddly is it to fit as I gather the instructions are non-existent and more importantly does it actually work? Any advice much appreciated.