No customization options are available.

Screens.. (yes I know its been done to death)

Discussion in 'R1200RS Appearance Mods' started by R50PPM, May 16, 2017.

1. Roadnwater

Roadnwater Active Member

Good evaluation Dan. I am about the same size as you and have been using the Givi for 20K miles. I concur with all you said. It works very well. I would add that in the summer I leave it in the bottom holes in an attempt to get more air. It still gives good enough clean air on the top of the helmet in the high position. However in the lower position the air hits my face shield, and I have been forced to live with this or suffer in the heat. I have thought about the MRA as a means of getting more air onto my torso while still having clean air hitting my helmet above the face shield. It seems like the narrower profile than the Givi would allow this. Any input would be appreciated.

2. To and Fro

To and Fro Active Member

I have the givi 5120 as well and agree with you 100%. I'm 5'10" and in the lower setting the wind hits the upper 1/4 of my helmet. If I'm tucked fwd at all the wind goes completely over top. The givi is NOT the best looking screen because its massive. However, the majority of my riding is on the freeway so the wind protection is important to me. It's nice to be able to ride with my visor up or listen to music and actually hear it.

3. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

To both you and Dan,
    Did you notice any change in fuel mileage with the large Givi shield?

4. To and Fro

To and Fro Active Member

Last I looked I was getting 45 mpg. That's mostly highway and 70-80 mph.

5. Dan smith

Dan smith Active Member

Have not had a chance to check mileage yet.
    I have very sensitive ears , I have ,tinnitus and seem bothered by wind noise very easily
    I am waiting for a C4 Helmet ( not in us yet ) I hope it will help and the MRA will be a option , I can try and use it sometimes if it does not sell on ebay. The Givi is staying on my bike.

6. Roadnwater

Roadnwater Active Member

Dan,
    I just bought what I believe is your MRA on Ebay.

7. Mr. 36654

Dan,
    Just a suggestion, have you tried a scarf or neck baffle around the bottom of your helmet? While I ride with ear plugs, I've found a big bandana or similar wrapped around my neck really reduces the wind noise at the bottom of the helmet. It also keeps the neck of jacket from flapping.

Jim Evans, Dan smith and Richard230 like this.
  8. Dan smith

Dan smith Active Member

Actually I haven't , been to lazy to try it I really should because the buffeting is really annoying, even with my big barn door givi screen I still get a fair amount , thx I will give it a try it's cheaper then a new helmet :)

Mr. 36654 likes this.
  9. Bunter

Bunter Active Member

Has anyone got one of the new MXC screens yet?

10. Mr. 36654

Cheap is good!...........

Dan smith likes this.
  11. Bunter

Bunter Active Member

Images of the new MXC screen have been put on the MRA product webpage

SteveB likes this.
  12. SteveB

SteveB Member

Looks good - we just need to know if it works (as I cannot live with the standard screen)

Attached Files:

13. To and Fro

To and Fro Active Member

The screen does look good. Too bad I just ordered the Puig. The yellow RS look good as well.

14. Jeroen1969

Jeroen1969 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I did not see this earlier...

I have no frecking clue as to its exact height, wouldn't no from where to where to measure it. Do these piccies help you a bit?
    [​IMG]
    Puig in High position (mounted in the higher holes).

[​IMG]
    Puig in the Low Position (still mounted in the higher holes).

Measured according the red arrow below:
    [​IMG]
    I measure 33 cm on my Puig, does that help a bit?? (and yeah, I do realise the screen in that particular picture is a Givi and NOT a Puig... I do have a Puig, a slightly tinted version, yet clear enough to offer good see through).

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  15. Jeroen1969

Don't think you are going to dislike your Puig screen. The Givi screen measures some 3,5 cm more over the red arrow in the picture in my previous posting above than the Puig (36,5 vs 33 cm) . I'm 1 meter 86 cm tall, enjoy the protection the Puig gives me, ride with the visor open most of the time.

To and Fro likes this.
  16. Bunter

Bunter Active Member

I just got back from a short ride with the MXC screen. IMO this is the best compromise I've found so far between looks, buffet/wind noise reduction and screen height. It gave me very similar levels of buffet/wind noise reduction as both the MRA Vario Touring and the Wunderlich 3d clip thing but with a much lower screen height, which I prefer as I do not like looking through the screen at all. Mounted in the higher holes and in the high position the MXC is much lower than either the stock or MRA Vario Touring. I could not get on with the Wunderlich 3d clip thing in the higher holes and high position because it wobbled badly directly in my line of sight and was very distracting. I got on OK with that in the lower holes high position but would occasionally end up looking through the screen. Unless something unexpected happens in the rain this one is a keeper.

Bill

_DSC0023_DxO.jpg _DSC0024_DxO.jpg _DSC0026_DxO.jpg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  17. Jeroen1969

That dark tinted screen combines handsomely with your bike! With my Puig screen, that is considerably taller than the OEM screen, I don't really look through the screen, only when I want to see something very near by the bike. When the rear of the car in front of me is within the screen, I'm simply too frecking close to it....

18. Mattblack000

Mattblack000 Member

Quick question, what do the giant RS owners use for a screen? I'm 6' 4" and no screen works (been through stock, Powerbronze & MRA, the bigger they are the worse they seem to be!) Currently cutting around with a short sport screen for summer and having a very quiet ride due to head being in clean air!
    Have seen a GS rider who had same problem and had cut a 3" circular hole in the middle of his screen! No buffeting, turbulence, etc. Turns out he was a aerodynamasist working at the nearby airport.
    Any ideas??

19. Mattblack000

Mattblack000 Member

Looks good. May I ask how tall you are?? Gives me a better idea as to whether this would suit me or not. I'm 6' 4" Andy using a short sport screen to keep my head in clean air.

20. Jeroen1969

No clue as to how 6' 4" translates to centimeters (I believe some 193 cm's), I measure 187 cm, got myself a smokey grey tinted Puig screen. Used upper mounting holes. With the screen in "low" I can ride without noise and buffet up to 80 km/hr. At faster speeds, the screen goes up and keeps me noise and buffet free up to max vehicle speed (level surface clocked 214 km/hr GPS true speed on the Navigator VI). I sit on the "standard" seat, I believe there is one position higher available than mine, not interested in that seat as it would force me to lean more forward and get my head in turbulent air flow. I can handle the knee angle as is.

Just wondering: at 6'4", wouldn't a R1200GSA fit better than a R1200RS? It's a much taller bike. Or a Ducati Multistrada 1200, or a KTM 1290 Super Adventure...
    Don't know of Sport Touring bikes that are comfortable to ride for taller than standard folk..

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017