No customization options are available.

Screens.. (yes I know its been done to death)

Discussion in 'R1200RS Appearance Mods' started by R50PPM, May 16, 2017.

1. R50PPM

R50PPM Member

Hi all, I ve been trolling through all the screen threads but I still have couple of questions...

Firstly, have anybody used the Puig touring screen and if so can you confirm the height, one listing says 555 high and another 505, before I try and talk to Puig I thought Id ask here.

And secondly everything I read is commenting on wind noise and buffeting, my question is weather protection, other than the Givi which I assume would be the best, what are the likes of the MRA like in rain? I have the PB and not tried it in the rain, does the vee effect work?? Thanks.

2. roger coleman

roger coleman Well-Known Member

I had a PB Flip, and used it on a torrential downpour trip in Germany. I got soaked, the instruments got soaked, everything was wet.
    I have an MRA screen now, and when it rains, I get wet.
    When you say does the screen work in the wet, Im not sure what it is you expect.
    when it rains, I get wet, all over, and it doesnt seem to matter what screen I have fitted.

3. R50PPM

R50PPM Member

I had a Honda cb1300 before this and that had a small screen and fairing, while riding in the rain most of the water was directed away from my body and helmet by the shape of screen and fairing, that all i was wondering, i know the opening under the screen will send some water off but I suspect the v design of the PB will send a lot to my body. Sorry if I wasn't clear. BTW were you out on the M27 at the weekend? a Lupin went past me while in the car and the personalised reg made me wonder if it was you?

4. roger coleman

roger coleman Well-Known Member

No it wasnt me on the M27
    I know what you mean with the screen, the only good one I have ever ridden was on the Honda Deauville of all things. I have never ridden an RT in the wet but I suspect it is also dry'ish.
    I had a F800GT with a massive Madstadt screen on it, pouring rain, again in Germany, with rain running down the sat nav and instruement display and me getting soaking wet, again, thank god for Streetguard suit, dry inside.

5. GaryS

GaryS Member

I actually have used this as my go to screen for winter and the shoulder season. (used a sport shield last summer)
    FYI - 5'9" 32" inseam and using the MV risers
    Puig set up on low screws

In the low position, its a good compromise. Quieter than the stock, but wind noise is still present. If your tucked a bit (what Id imagine without the risers on) its quite a bit quieter.
    In the High position Very quiet ... almost RTish with a bit more breeze than the RT allowed. If your posture is perfectly upright, you will get a little buffeting. Emotionally, I always feel this loses a bit of the sport in the bike - one of those perception things in my brain and doesn't look the best (but I have a love-hate relationship with screens to begin with).

When set up on the high screws I found it was very bad in terms of buffeting and some off turbulent effects on my helm..

In terms of weather protection. Modest rain and above about 30-40 mph, in the high position (still low screws) this did a remarkable job ! Not quite RT , but my chest was relatively dry ... lateral aspect of the arms get a bit wet, but to be expected. But I was rather impressed. A bit tucked to shield the visor, but only a very little).

I didn't try it in the low position in the rain ... figured get as much protection out of it as I could, but id guess the chest would still be well protected, but not your face-shield.

Even when It turned to crap, I did ok till the traffic slowed ... then were all screwed no matter what shield you use.

But I think this gets a thumbs up for modest inclement weather.

Gottafly and Scorch like this.
  6. R50PPM

R50PPM Member

Hi Gary, thanks for that, info, can you confirm the height of the screen, is it 555 or 505mm. Cheers.

7. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

My experience with the Puig screen is identical to Gary's. I'm not sure of the screen height, but by my reckoning it's somewhere between 'mahoosive' and 'bloody gigantic'. I didn't much like how it looked, but I thought I might keep it for next winter. Then again, I found that with the turbulance Gary described, I was ducking low behind the screen, and that had two unintended consequences:
    1.) It puts you down to a level where you're looking through the top of the screen, not over it. With our grimy, slimy winter roads, it could mean having to stop mid-ride to clean the screen or risk not being able to see where you're going.
    2.) Back strain from being in a slightly unnatural riding position.

I think I may have just talked myself out of keeping it...
    Do you want mine? I'll give you a good price... ;)

8. cushman

cushman Active Member

My Puig Touring screen is 555mm.

9. R50PPM

R50PPM Member

Wow, 555 so it is pretty big.... it doesn't look much different than the MRA but it certainly is. Thanks Scorch, typical that I bit the bullet and ordered one this morning, I'd would happily bought a used one as I only intend to it for my annual touring trip.

10. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

To be honest, I bought mine with my upcoming European tour in mind, but I've decided on a shorter screen because of the sheer size of the thing. I'll be going to warmer climes, and actually the breeze will be quite welcome.

Bill the Cat likes this.
  11. Gottafly

Gottafly New Member

I can echo what GaryS said, and he summed it up very well. Much more protection both wind & rain (I'm 5'8") less buffeting, if you can get over the slightly taller look of it. I've had it on for the past few weeks and gotten used to the looks... and I'm not going back to stock.

12. saizou

saizou Member

Installed mine in the low position and took it for a ride. Like it so far. With the screen tilted up, I only feel wind at the tip of the helmet. I am 37" head-torso.

Looks good aesthetic wise, light smoke, screen flares.

188A2620.JPG 188A2623.JPG

lacemi likes this.
  13. R50PPM

R50PPM Member

Well it arrived today, super fast delivery even thought it came from Germany. I just fitted it and don't think it looks that bad, its noticeably narrower than the PB unit I had before. I'll be testing it out tomorrow. Thanks for the input thought, the advantage to a decent forum.

14. SteveB

SteveB Member

The standard screen is to me the worst thing about the bike and I'm still looking for "the holy grail".

I notice that MRA are bringing out a new screen called the "MXC" or Multi-X-Screen on 26th June 2017. Sounds good and the version they did for the GS was succesful (pics below). I'm gonna give it a try (once they publish the RS version pictures on the website)

https://www.mrashop.de/com/selectio.../6414/r-1200-rs-multi-x-creen-2015?c=90004274

Attached Files:

Scorch likes this.
  15. daesimps

daesimps Member

I must be really odd. I've had 2 GSs and an RT. The GSs had the adventure screen, MRA Vario and an assortment of others. None were as good as the stock screen on the RS, which I have in the lowest position mounted on the lowest holes. No turbulence and very little noise. Only my Aprilia Shiver has been quieter as that was naked - no wind noise or turbulence as the air was clean, there was just a lot of it!

The worst screen was on my CBF1000 and everyone tried an assortment of bigger and bigger screens. Eventually someone worked out that cutting down the stock screen was the best solution.

When it comes to screens, bigger isn't always better as it disrupts the air even more, unless you go so big that the disturbed air goes around and over you. That's what the RT screen was like, but bloody awful in 35 degree in the Swiss Alps as even though I was wearing mesh there was no air hitting my jacket.

Boxerboy55 and Phillo like this.
  16. buransche

buransche Member

17. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

Just as a test, I switched out the medium size Ztechnic I've been running since last July for the stock screen mounted in the upper position. With the stock screen in the upper position of the rocker mechanism rotated up, I get a comfortable ride.

Surprising, after ~230 miles, the fuel mileage rose from ~48mpg with the Ztechnic to 50mpg with the stock shield.

18. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

That looks really cool! I look forward to your review when it finally arrives.

19. lacemi

lacemi Member

20. Dan smith

Dan smith Active Member

SIZE MATTERS
    I'm glad some riders can get by with stock screen .I never liked it much.
    I'm 5.7 31 inseam , just installed givi clear windshield, d5120st in top position and just did a long ride when pushed in lower position it does not seem much better then stock screen ,but I like it there for the twisties and has a nice low slant and good air flow . Popped up in high position it has very good protection,This thing is huge but I can see just over the top down the road or thru it , it is very clear , kind of big and ugly . It seems to work for me. When I first tried it out in up position for the first time I had my helmet visor open on freeway and did no know it , and I said wow that's good protection, and I often can ride with my visor open and it's a nice thing to be able to do , that I never could do with stock screen . I do get some helmet ,buffeting, but much less then with stock screen . And that's a helmet problem.I am hoping a new C4 will fix that. Now on a crowed freeway with lots of trucks , it's still kind of uncomfortable. That traffic vortex is nasty no matter what screen .I received a MRA Vario today .
    Its looks really nice. Here is the size difference .
    SEE PICS BELOW : The M V does not seem to block wind a well a the big Givi . but full up with spoiler up , blocks all wind off my shoulders ,chest. and right over my face shield . I will keep it and try it with a new helmet C4 helmet later . But most likely , being the threads on mount are brass and may be easy to cross thread and I would rather just mount the Givi for all around use. I'm on highway a lot and like the Givi up for full protection and I think Its more Quiet . Yes it ugly , especially Clear. Good bang for the buck. Was going to get a same size CalSci Screen or C Bailey. It most likely would be about the same coverage. and they are more costly .last here are some shots with the Givi back on. put yellow tape so you can see the top edge . First is in up and then down in the top screw position .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    lacemi, Roadnwater and Bill the Cat like this.