No customization options are available.

Screen height adjustments ?

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by Allan_MV, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Good points but the test ride would have likely not made a difference to anyone if the test rider loved everything else except the windscreen and airflow characteristics. I had a 2 hour test ride in all sorts of riding conditions, all in the city, and airflow / windscreen did not present any concern whatsoever.

They would have still bought the bike figuring they'd change to an aftermarket screen and solve the problem. That is what all these threads are about. The problem is, there is no perfect solution because, as you say, it is no luxury limo and you are riding in the open air ... an advantage of riding a motorcycle, incidentally, and hence a trade-off.

I presently still have the stock screen and it is in the low position in summer and I try and pull it up high in the cooler months, where noise and very slight buffeting go up but cold wind blast goes down. I do have a brand new Givi touring screen in the box but am yet to really use it.

Boxerboy55 and Leon.P. like this.
  2. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

For me the main purpose of a windshield is to remove wind pressure from my chest while riding at high speeds for long distances. That lack of wind pressure really helps reduce fatigue. Beyond that, the other purpose of a windshield (other than looks) is to make the ride warmer during winter conditions (and maybe also to catch bugs) and a taller windshield, even if it results in more buffeting, might be an acceptable trade-off to increase your comfort. Since the RS windshield is so easy to remove and reinstall, trying different options is not all that burdensome - except to your pocketbook, of course. ;)

Jim Evans and Leon.P. like this.
  3. Phillo

Phillo Active Member

4. Brimstone Mahone

Brimstone Mahone Well-Known Member

Revisiting this...I found it interesting that many folks on the Honda Africa Twin site have the same complaint re turbulence/searching for aftermarket windscreens. I'm now on that site because my wife recently sold her BMW/bought a new AT and (as has been noted in another thread, she has NO interest in monitoring websites and listening to guys discuss whether they like tire "A" vs tire "B," what oil is best, etc. So I do the internet thing while she just rides her moto. Anyway, it seems that BMW is not the only manufacturer to have designed a windscreen for appearance rather than function. On the AT site they found they found that the turbulence was eliminated if the windscreen was removed! As the old saying goes, "Same song, just a different verse." :)

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  5. TAZ10

TAZ10 New Member

après avoir fais plusieurs essais, ( je mesure 1m80, ceci à son importance...) je roule en position haute, et j'ai mis le parre brise sur la position la plus haute également, et même à haute vitesse, bien calé derrière la bulle, ce n'est pas si mal.

6. Graham Lewis

Graham Lewis Active Member Contributor

I'm about 1m 90 and find the lower position works for me. However when in Holland in very windy conditions it was not so good. Have bought the MRA multi x creen so will see if that is better in windy conditions

7. runnerhiker

runnerhiker Well-Known Member Contributor

My naked KTM Super Duke R has absolutely no turbulence either, and almost no wind blast. I don't know how they did it, but I like it.