No customization options are available.

San Francisco CA . In a riders funk.

Discussion in 'USA West Riders' started by Dan smith, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Dan smith

Dan smith Active Member

I live near San Jose CA about 30 miles south of S F
    I don't know quite what happened . Have had the bike a while now , use to ride a lot , and lately ,just look at my bike and get on my bicycle and ride a way .
    I have been riding with a fast group last couple of years and saw my friend almost hit a truck ,I was chasing him when we both were riding to fast and we came over a hill around a bind turn to the right and there was a big truck not very far down the road and he didn't see this truck was about to turn and once he committed to pass him on the left into the oncoming lane on a two lane road ,the truck started to make his turn to the left and my friend barely missed him as he passed the truck on the left and ended up In the soft shoulder off road and somehow kept control and did not crash .
    I think that started it , scared the crap out of both of us .
    If anyone wants to hook up for a ride let me know ,maybe it will pull me from my funk.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  2. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

We've all made those mistakes at some point in a riding career. There comes a point where you accept your own mortality and make better decisions. Not wanting to go all pious on you but there are a number of warning signs in the above scenario that made the incident very predictable , and there is some good private training in the UK designed to improve riding by anticipating those situations and adjusting riding accordingly - maybe something like that near you would restore your 'funk' ?

Leon.P. and Aussie Import like this.
  3. Dan smith

Dan smith Active Member

Yes .we were going way to fast .which screws everything up, my buddy that almost ate it said he broke his own rule, always keep a safe distance of road in front of you according to you speed you are going .we both broke that rule on that blind turn.

Leon.P. likes this.
  4. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

Learn from it, have a good talk about the incident,adjust your speed but jump back on otherwise your riding days could be over. Good luck to you Dan and your mate. I came off at 90 km and destroyed the bike.Only minor scratches and some bruising.Ordered a new bike and hopped back on ASAP. I have not looked back but I am more alert and adjusted my concentration levels. Otherwise I could have given up the thing I love the most and that is riding my 1200RS with my good mates.:):)

5. Dan smith

Dan smith Active Member

Glad your ok . Thx for post.
    Yes I will most likely be back on someday soon,
    I had some other personal issues ,going on also ,with family. If family ain't happy nobody's happy . I just take it one day at a time . And be positive.
    I have been riding all my life not a newbie . But had never ridden at these speeds and skill level before I met this group .
    I tried really hard to be part of this group of fast riders and finally after a few years of a lot of saddle time and three different bikes , was fairly comfortable , riding at there speed and level .
    But then I started to here more and more about different crashes that some of the riders had .And After riding at this pace overtime, I finally came to the conclusion of the real dangers that are there at these speeds on public streets ,even if they are in rural areas the danger is still there. You can only beat the odds so long before it catches up with you.
    I am going to ride at a slower safer pace with riders that are not just trying to out race each other and prove how fast they are .
    It may not be quite the adrenaline rush as before , but that's ok.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    Leon.P., darrell and Andy Griffiths like this.
  6. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

And that decision - my friend - will probably end up saving your life :)

RonS, ranette, To and Fro and 2 others like this.