No customization options are available.

RT to GS to RS am I regressing?

Discussion in 'R1200RS Versus The Competition' started by Braap!, Jan 18, 2017.

1. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

"RT to GS to RS am I regressing?" - Yes.
    - NO.

Vtbob and Slipstream like this.
  2. runnerhiker

runnerhiker Well-Known Member Contributor

Regressing? No. But let's face it, these are very similar bikes with, mostly, a slight change in wind protection.

Now, if you said you had a CBR1000 RR and then went to the RT, then went to a Harley Ultra Glide, then went to the GS, then went to a Ducati Panigale, and finally to the RS, then I would say, yeah, you are a lost sheep.:D But you didn't, so you are ok.

3. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

I've always preferred a bike that is on the lighter side of "right-sized." I find it extraordinary that my RS packs so much into a package hardly any heavier than my '03 Bonneville. They really cannot be fully appreciated until you actually ride one...magnificent!

Leon.P. likes this.
  4. Strommer

Strommer Active Member

Agree completely. Unfortunately not enough do and I don't think we'll see the RS made after this year. They're still not selling the 2017 in the US.

5. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

Plenty of them in Australia.:)

Scorch likes this.
  6. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

And plenty in UK....

Scorch likes this.
  7. Strommer

Strommer Active Member

I don't know what's the matter with people here, lol. I have three dealerships in my area. All have RS's sitting for months on end collecting dust which is why BMW is not selling the 2017 models here. I bought mine last September when there were two on the floor. The other one is still there, and this is Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas, not a small area.

I think it's the best bike BMW makes, a perfect midway point between the naked R and the full blown RT. I dunno....

8. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

There's now a 2017 in St. Louis (and a nice deal on a remaining 2016 as well as a 2016 demo - but in gray...).

9. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

When I was at the Kansas City dealer a week or 2 ago they told me they had a 2017 on the way.

10. runnerhiker

The motorcycle business in the US is changing (has changed?) in the last few years. I think sales are down. And sales of premium, expensive bikes are down. Younger people are interested in Uber and driverless cars, the love affair with things mechanical, motorcycles & fast cars, is dwindling.

11. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

My dealer made me a good price on my 2016 so they could create floor space for the 2017s (or so they said). I'm just as happy to have a bike that is less common (my other ride is a Moto Guzzi). We RS owners must be more independently-minded than the hordes of riders who all gravitate to the various popular bikes out there. Old George Patton said it best, "If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

12. Dan smith

Dan smith Active Member

I could not agree more the demand is down , I bought a 16 trade in and there were a couple of new ones at the local dealers left , gray ones and wanted to get a bike fast before they ran out 16s last month ,I like the blue and got that , well they are still sitting on the dealer lots , I was told by a bmw dealer , that Bmw over built the amount of R1200r - rs that were needed ,and some other models , and I sure the same with a lot of bikes the last couple of years I guess if bikes are moving slow the high end bikes eat it first.

13. Strommer

Strommer Active Member

It does seem that a few 2017s have finally made their way into the states six months late.

14. Phinj

Phinj Active Member

Got my 2017 on Tuesday.

Scorch and Strommer like this.
  15. Dan smith

Dan smith Active Member

Yours in newer then mine :(

Attached Files:

16. GuzziKarl

GuzziKarl Member

Had (2) GS and (2) RTs many , many miles
    The RS is my all time favorite BMW !
    Ok Love my Guzzi Café too
    And my DRZ and K75
    Just love riding !!!

Attached Files:

ray2 and James Bagley like this.
  17. buransche

buransche Member

Interesting thread title. My last three bikes were: '14 RT -> '16 GS -> '16RS ;)

18. runnerhiker

Great. How about about a brief comparison?

19. wantajustride

wantajustride Member

Fellas,
    I never thought I could enjoy a moto more than my 2014 GSA.. But my 2016 RS in Lupine Blue is such an amazing bike. It just does a lot of things really well. But I personally feel that at speeds of 90 mph the bike is just a bit inept. Carving twisty roads at 60-65 mph it is just plain fun. And enjoyable all day long. Always feels hooked up, and never feels like it is at its limit handling wise. (BTW, I recently installed a new set of Dunlop Roadsmart 111's on the RS and wow! I'm very satisfied with handling)
    But I need some help, Please,,, Guys,,, Talk me out of trading my RS in for a 2016 K1600GT!
    I'm afraid when I take the demo out for a test ride (the dealer is letting me keep it a day or two) that I will be flying high on the power and overall cruising performance of the big 6 cylinder.
    The RS is so easy to manage in all conditions and I worry that the 1600 will be just too big and slow speed maneuverability will be much more difficult.
    I'm hoping some of you all have had or at least contemplated the big K Bike. Let me know why you did or didn't end up with the 1600..
    Like the title says,, "Am I regressing"

Thanks
    Jeff

20. Brimstone Mahone

Brimstone Mahone Well-Known Member

"But I personally feel that at speeds of 90 mph the bike is just a bit inept."

In what way is it inept? Are you are saying that the bike does not handle well at 90MPH? Or is the wind protection at 90mph the issue?

Now, if you are saying it doesn't handle twisties at the speeds a Ducati Panigale could manage, you are correct, of course. But to have that sort of handling you need a bike of that sort, not an RS. There is no way a 730 pound K1600GT will match an RS, let alone a serious sport bike in the twisties.

OTOH if you are talking about touring at 90mph +, absolutely the GT will be the superior tool due to the much better wind protection/greater weight. So if long-distance touring is a major part of your bike use, I would totally agree that the GT is a better choice.