No customization options are available.

RT to GS to RS am I regressing?

Discussion in 'R1200RS Versus The Competition' started by Braap!, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Braap!

Braap! Member

After owning way too many dirt bikes / dual sports / and funky (Buell) street rides, I finally stepped up to the bar and drank the BMW Cool-aid. My first was a 2009 R1200RT - it forever changed the way I looked and thought about street bikes. The wife and I put many miles on her, and in retrospect - I should have kept her instead of trading up to a 2014 R1200GSLC. My long time friends (dirt bike buddies) got together one day and came up with a plan to ride the Pacific Coast from L A up to Alaska and back. The trip would involve riding, camping (i.e. sleeping on the ground - ouch!) eating junk food, maybe a few beers, a "Wild Hog's" type of trip. So off I went to Browns BMW in Pomona Ca. in search of an adventure bike for the er, - well, adventure! All was going according to plan when the first (of 5) guy backed out. Oh well, no biggie. But then, as the departure date grew nearer, the others started to fizzle out one by one - until it was only myself and this "outsider" guy (that nobody can stand for more than 20 minutes) left. Thank God that he too bailed at the last minute and the trip was officially canceled. In all fairness to the GS, I really liked the bike. The new motor was a big step up from the previous design and lacked nothing performance wise. But at the time, I had two different dirt bikes in the garage (KTM 500 XC-W & 250 SX) so if I wanted to go dirt whomping - I'd usually take one them instead of the 500 pounder with turn sigs. Getting to the point, the (financial) decision to sell the bike was made - and there is now one very happy-camper in San Diego. I don't know what is worse, having a street bike in the garage and not using it, or wanting to go street riding, and not have a bike to do so on? Anyway, when I finally got "Hunny-bunny" talked into letting me look into another street ride - I was actually hot to trot over the big K1600 GT. I had ridden a few used ones at the Beemer shop, and was ready to pull the trigger on one until I rode the RS. That changed everything. I now own a beautiful (and faster than the gray ones) Blue and White 2016 R1200RS. Am I going the wrong way? was I spoda go from sport to adventure to Big Comfy Couch? Old Guy on a sport bike - give him some room!

2. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

If you are going the wrong way, I've been going the wrong way since I first saw LC RS in February 2015. Got my RS early that spring. I've had a couple of RTs and a GS too. The RS is the bike that suites me best..by far.

I wander around some, find the RS great in the twisties, mor than good (with a bit larger windshield) for 600 mile days when necessary and does dirt roads fine. (as good as the GS unless fitted with knobby tires).

I've given up camping, (my body does not do so well sleeping on the ground any more) so I do not have the a tent and the kitchen sink so the stock bags are great and for longer than 5 day trips my old Jessie top box carries more than enough junk.

ray2 and Jim Evans like this.
  3. Brimstone Mahone

Brimstone Mahone Well-Known Member

"Am I going the wrong way? was I spoda go from sport to adventure to Big Comfy Couch? Old Guy on a sport bike - give him some room!"

Only you can decide! But FWIW, I ride with a 75 year old who usually shows up on his Ducati 999! :)

(my 996 was prettier!)

QuietProphet, Leon.P. and Scorch like this.
  4. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

Haha! Love the write-up! (And the username) :D

Sorry to hear about your big adventure being canned, but you've got the best ride for whenever you try again.

5. msnyder

msnyder New Member

Congradulations on the new bike. I doubt that you went the "wrong" way. I myself have had my share of "touring" or cruiser style
    bikes. I,m an "old guy" too and i,m tired of wrestling those heavy monsters around the garage or wherever. I had my koolaid when I test road a 2014 gs. Test road a RT also. Same great powertrain but just seems huge and features and more weight that I had no use for. Wow I thought............To think I,ve been turning my nose up at these things and missing out big time!
    I bought a 2014 gs and later traded for a better equiped 2015 gs. Both the 14 and now the 15 were/are great. I kept reading on a couple forums about how great the newly returned RS is. I knew I would not have anything to do with a bike that was too "sportbike" like. I have no interest in clip ons and riding in a position that mimicks the "tour de France races". But what the heck, test rides are free. Right? I was all over that bike (the faster blue one) like a fat kid on a skittle........
    I traded in a touring bike and kept the gs. I still love the gs as much as ever. And if I was screwing up trying something that was to youthful for me, well I would still have my GS.
    I love them both. Sometimes my toughest decision is which one to take out. I live in Western NC (Asheville) and have great roads that both of these bikes are made for. I have found that bar risers make a good riding position even better. Lots of good tips on this forum. Don,t know what region you live in but winter time is farkel time. Enjoy the bike "when you can" and be safe. Max

ray2, UncleBob and Slipstream like this.
  6. Slipstream

Slipstream Active Member Contributor

You're doing it right, Braap! I've said it before, I'll do it again here: The RS is the Swiss Army knife of the BMW line-up. It's sporty, comfortable, practical, fun, and when you throw some luggage on it, becomes a fantastic MDU (Mileage Disposal Unit, or if outside of the U.S., a KDU--Kilometer Disposal Unit). It does everything well, and dadgummit, looks good doing it. At least the Grey RSs do, anyway...

7. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

you have evolved from a GS riding sheep to a nimble gazelle

Jim Evans, Slipstream and Scorch like this.
  8. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

Nope and the RS isn't a sports bike either :)

9. Phillo

Phillo Active Member

Definitely going the right way..I'm still a youngster..only 76..I've had the R...the GS...the RT twice... and 3 K1300S's and I reckon the RS is in every respect the bike to beat..

10. Strommer

Strommer Active Member

No, but it's a "sporty" bike.

11. Braap!

Braap! Member

Wow! This is so kewl seeing the responses from all over the place! Living out here in Southern California, we really don't have an off season - in fact, some of you "East Coast" guys would laugh at us for what we consider inclement weather, and then ride off in your shorts! Kinda neat to see how a single machine design (the blue/white RS of course) can generate so much passion about a "sport" for so many different people in so many different places! You guys are the bomb!

slowpoke, Scorch, Sobpe and 1 other person like this.
  12. Braap!

Braap! Member

P.S. I've owned a 916 and a Monster - so I am qualified to say Sport Bike. . .

Mquaedflieg likes this.
  13. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Braap you made a good choice with the RS. You you can still make your trip to Alaska. My wife and I rode to Alaska many years ago on road bikes (K75Ts) and got along fine.
    Thanks for the intro.

14. Stixx

Stixx Active Member

What you found yourself doing was , in my view. the natural progression of gracefully "maturing" in the line up of BMW offerings. I made almost the exact same progression only I actually did the kind of trips you spoke of more than once and did them on both my first tourer, the 2008 RT , and secondly on the F 800 GS Adventure bike. When I totaled the GS , I replaced it with a Triumph Exploerer and did at least one epic ride on it to wit I REALIZED I MISSED MY BOXER.

NOW THE NEWEST RT'S ARE WAY TOO FRAGILE AND DROPPING ONE CAN COST PLENTY SO NATURALLY WHEN I SAW THE RS IT SPOKE TO ME ABOUT THE SIZE AND LACK OF COMPLEXITY COMPARED TO THE RT AND THEN I READ SPURGIS ' REVIEW OF IT AND WAS SOLD. THE REST WAS HISTORY AND ALL I CAN SAY IS AFTER 10000 MILES SO FAR I FEEL I MADE THE RIGHT DECISION AND SO FAR I'VE ONLY GONE ON ONE LONG TRIP TO THE BMW NATIONAL RALLY BUT PLAN ON LEAVING ATLANTA IN THE SPRING AND HEADING YOUR WAY FOR THAT EPIC TRIP UP THE COAST HIGHWAY TO OREGON. YOU CAN HAVE ALASKA AND THOSE CEMENT COATED GRAVEL PITS THEY CALL ROADS ILL BE HAPPY HEADING BACK EAST ALONG THE TOP OF THE USA.

ray2 and UncleBob like this.
  15. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

Well done Braap. Great bike, good choice, shame about the colour.:):):D:D

Dirk Coetzee likes this.
  16. Hotboot

Hotboot Active Member

You are moving in the right direction, go play with your sport bike buddies in the twisties and get back with me.

ray2 likes this.
  17. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Not surprisingly, almost all Forum members will agree with your choice, as do I. In the total scheme of motorcycling, it seems the RS has limited appeal. Sure, the cost of them winnows out some riders and their choices may be almost as good for the same type of bike (Yamaha Tracer / MT 09). Yamaha sells heaps of the MT-09 here in Oz, BMW sells heaps of GS / GSAs. Why the bulk of BMW purchasers prefer the GS / GSA is beyond me. As far as I am concerned, the RS is the best motorcycle I have had in 49 years of riding and it is joy to ride every day.

Jasper, ray2, Mquaedflieg and 6 others like this.
  18. Tassy RS

Tassy RS Member

Yep done the right thing , I am very happy with the Rs , sold a st4 a few fears ago , still have a 999s but really missed the st, had a tiger sport there for a few yrs , that's was good but just missed having a true sports tourer , hence now owning a Rs , it's stable , personally myself I think it's great in strong winds , awesome motor , character wrapped around technology , looks great , the motor and suspension modes are easy to use but what my fav is that gearbox , love it , in the twisties it,s so much fun ,

UncleBob, Willy and Leon.P. like this.
  19. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

Aussie and Tassy are spot on.:):)

Tassy RS likes this.
  20. Bazza Beemer

Bazza Beemer Well-Known Member

Braapp, each of your past 2 and present 1 bikes do something the other cant do well, if at all. The bike you choose/have chosen most likely matches your desire for what type of riding you want to do today. I wouldn't personally say you have gone up or down the ladder, just that you have moved sideways to the next style of ride.

darrell likes this.