No customization options are available.

RS vs Z1000SX

Discussion in 'R1200RS Versus The Competition' started by Bazmatron, Jun 30, 2015.

1. victor

victor New Member

New Z1000SX on its way out now with improved electronics (IMU, cornering ABS) and some other goodies. Any thoughts on the comparison now?

Price £10k + £600 for the touring pack i.e. panniers :)

2. petey

petey Member

Yes I noticed the free play on the front brake lever....no problem, got used to it.:cool:

3. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

RS still has bags more character

4. buelligan

buelligan Member

RS has more torque, a better powerband, and handles better...

5. Caveman

Caveman Well-Known Member

I had a Ninja 1000 and traded it in on an RS. I missed the I-4 and wound up trading the RS in a few months later. The Ninja never worked for me because it was too small and needed multiple thousands in mods to get right, but I did like the engine character and performance much more. A boxer is an acquired taste. Many love it. I never quite got comfortable with it. I'm on a K1300S now and it's much more my speed. A big I-4 with much more room and comfort then the liter bikes. Raise the back a bit (they now come stock with 55s on the back) and the steering sharpens allot. To me it handles great because I like to muscle things a bit. And in reality it's not much muscleing.
    I would say give it a good test ride, not just a local road one. If you love the character of the Ninja you might not like the boxer in the long-term.
    If you like upright, to me the GS is the better of the two. The telelever makes for some good handling even if road feel is muted.

6. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Hey Caveman!
    I think that there are 4 bikes in the class that was occupied by the K1300S - the Honda Blackbird, the Kawasaki 14 (forget the letters) and the Suzuki Hayabusa.
    It is a bit like the old Highlander TV series (now being replayed again in Melbourne) - There can be only 1.
    And, it turned out to be the Suzuki.
    It doesn't mean it was the "best", it just means it lasted the longest.
    I think your choice is the best mainly because shaft drive really comes into its own with such strong motors.

ray2 likes this.
  7. Caveman

I gave the other two (the Blackbird is long gone and barely saw US soil) a look but they were too tight. BMWs are always make for bigger people so My K was the most comfortable. It's also said to handle the best. It is no longer being made though so I got the last one,
    The ZX-14 is still going strong though and is neck and neck with the 'Busa. I think I like the ZX a little better but the Busa may be a little cheaper to maintain. These big I-4s are nice though. It's a shame people don't seem to want them. The big v-4 on the VFR was nice too.
    I'm glad I got the last of the K1300s.

ray2 likes this.
  8. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Motor Cycle News are reporting some useful amendments to the latest Z100SX just launched for 2017

9. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

I'm also a fan of the K1300, but appropriate that a Caveman got the last of these long, lumbering beasts with mechanical throttle, heavy duty suspension, and no cruise control.

10. ray2

Been following the story. When one adds up all the extras to make it a really nice sport touring bike, the difference in price seems to be about the same as 4 replacement chains - assuming the electronics are as good. Will give one a try when they finally make it here. I think I read, May.

11. Caveman

K1300S lumbering? More like a rocket. Love it.

The new Ninja/SX is small. The one I had was small but this one (2017) is even smaller and much more upright. I sat on it at the moto show and was like no freakin was this will work. My inseam is a tad over 34" and my weight a bit over 200. The Ninja has a tight cockpit and weird, IMO, rider triangle, and the new one is even worse. Bars are much higher and closer in an already cramped configuration, and the wheelbase is shorter. Also as all Ninja owners know, at my weight, or even at any weight, the suspension has to be upgraded. By the time you get done modding the Ninja it's not a cheap bike anymore. It becomes a premium bike with cheap bike resale/trade-in value. No thanks. It's why many gave up on it. As to the new electronics, I've been told the ecu cannot be reflashed (by the man) and putting a 55 on back can throw off all the sensors. In short, it may not be so easy to mod.

At the end of the day the RS is a better value. It's all relative. If you want an I-4 that tours the ZX-14 is a better option. A Ninja 1000 doesn't handle all that great anyway so might as well go for the comfort. Small riders seem to fair okay on the 1000, but that's still after mods. I'm hoping after I have about 30k miles on the K1300 that it's re-released with a major makeover. If not a ZX-14 might be an option.

ray2 likes this.
  12. fred_jb

fred_jb Member

If you want a bike with the same I-4 engine as the SX, albeit re-tuned for more torque, then the Versys 1000 is worth considering, though there is no sign of it being updated to be given all the electronic add-ons that the new SX is getting. Very roomy and comfortable, plus less engine vibes due to the rubber engine mounts (though still some) . I had one which I found very enjoyable, particularly for solo use, and although I found the stock screen noisy and buffeting, once I had replaced that with a Givi Airflow the bike was transformed, being very quiet with only a little buffeting when closely following other vehicles. The reason I sold mine was that when my wife starting touring with me I found the suspension had insufficient rear preload adjustment, and when heavily loaded the bike had some low speed instability. This was reduced by raising the forks through the yokes and backing off the front preload to try to get a bit more weight on the front, but I could never entirely eliminate the problem, though to be fair I know other people tour two up on the bike without problems.

13. mdowens

mdowens Member

I have a Kawasaki ZX7R and bought an R1200RS this year. The ZX7R is properly sorted with aftermarket suspension but the RS handles just as good for 95% of my riding. The RS is far easier to hustle around than the sports bike especially 2 up fully loaded. The chicken strips are smaller on the RS after the first 2 months of riding it. The RS has great power all through the rev range and is so easy to make progress. If I have a chance to do another track day then it will be a tough decision to take the ZX7R or the RS.

Like many others, I think the RS is a slow burn so if you like it on the test ride it just gets better from then on.

Jim Evans, Last and ray2 like this.
  14. lacemi

lacemi Member

I think sx and rs are very diferent. SX IS MORE racing and rs is best motorbike if you paid full extra and paid 20.000€
    But It is very long and mountaing race.In roads of many curves of the mountain the sensation is that you must anticipate to the entrance. The sx is easier to carry. Another factor is the double cylinder, forget about reaching the bend and lowering two gears. I think you have a great motorbike.

15. Michael James

Michael James New Member

16. Michael James

Michael James New Member

Hello I've owned the Kawasaki 1000 Ninja for a year and a half. The difference I seen will be a longer wheelbase better for two up more room for two people, a lot more comfy for both with stock seats, no oily chain or tighten from too much right hand twist!!! The GC is the biggest change over everything out there this RS rails so good it inspires you to more confident in The twisty roads with great acceleration and comfy ASE it is more money but worth it after adding a couple grand to make a Ninja!
    Buy the RS....

17. littleade

littleade Member

I'm considering both these 2 for my next bike so it was an interesting read;)

18. m1bjr

m1bjr Member

And the H2sx is on my list in 2018.
    The holy grail of sport touring.
    Possibly.

19. ray2

oscarguitar and Richard230 like this.
  20. littleade

littleade Member

I test rode both the RS and SX last November. For me the RS was the more complete bike, but as it's more expensive than the SX I guess that wasn't surprising. I liked the looks of the SX and the fairing kept the wind off my hands nicely. Overall I found it a bit fraught after a boxer twin but that's just preference I guess. I took it on a mixture of roads, not just the nice A roads the salesman suggested and on bumpy B roads it wasn't much fun, in traffic at low speed the throttle was snatchy too. The riding position was a bit wierd too, legs bent quite a lot while the upper body was more upright. After 45 minutes I was getting pins and needles in my hands too. The RS in comparison was easier to ride, the instant torque available made overtakes a breeze and I thought the wind protection was better as were the ergonomics and for someone like me who wants to ride quickly but without attracting NIPs it would have been the better choice and to me was the nicer bike of the two. The acid test for me is always the ride home on your own bike. In both cases I rode part of the test route home and both times came to the same conclusion. I ended up with another GS, though my bank balance didn't appreciate the hit. Ride safe

ray2 likes this.