No customization options are available.

RS vs Z1000SX

Discussion in 'R1200RS Versus The Competition' started by Bazmatron, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Bazmatron

Bazmatron New Member

Hi Folks,

I originally posted this in the welcome section by mistake (sausage fingers and an iPhone)

I am considering an RS. I currently have a Z1000Sx (Ninja 1000 for you guys in the USA)

I do like my Z1000sx, the engine is great and I have fixed the slightly wayward handling with sorted suspension and new tyres so it now turns in nicely and is quite a sharp tool but...

It’s very buzzy and not as comfy as I would like. I might not be your average boxer owner as I do like to ride by bikes hard and take in the occasional track day.

I haven't managed to get a test ride yet due to commitments so it would be interesting to see what other owners have changed from to go to the RS and what people think about the performance as I will be gaining torque but losing the top end rush.

I have read the Z1000sx vs VFR vs RS review in Bike Magazine and it was very favourable to the RS but the forums always have their own views.

Cheers, Barry

2. edtxw01

edtxw01 Active Member

Hi Bazmatron

I've just swapped a K1300R for the RS. The K1300R has 170hp (when you put in the good fuel) but still plenty of go with the cheaper stuff. I picked up the RS yesterday so first impressions are; loads of low down torque, very nimble handling, very light controls, great seating position and I'm confident it will have more top end than I will ever need. The K had endless power but by comparison felt heavier, more difficult to flick around the twisties and over 80mph you need neck muscles like the Incredible Hulk. So overall for me the RS is a better more useable bike and bizarrely I think I'm already riding faster and it only has 88 miles on the clock. I hope this helps. Oh I read all the reviews too but in the end I needed a test ride to make up my own mind.

3. Bazmatron

Bazmatron New Member

Thanks edtxw01,

Had another sit in one last week but still had no free time for a test ride.
    I think the only way to tell is to have a ride.
    I have ridden a 2014 GS with the same engine and it was great but just felt like it lacked a bit of excitement when riding at 10/10ths. Fantastic the rest of the time with easy/deceptive speed and ground covering ability.
    Will try and get a test ride in soon.
    Baz

Yaron likes this.
  4. Bazmatron

Bazmatron New Member

Well I've now managed a test ride....

Performance wise i have no issues, it's a different experience riding a boxer than an inline 4 but still lots of fun.
    The I've ridden with a quick shifter before but the changing down is even more fun!
    It turned slower than the Z1000SX but changing it to rider & pillion setting on the suspension really helped sharpen it up.
    I did have some issues though, the brakes had a lot of play at the leaver before biting (any body else have this) I like a firm leaver (can this be bled out?)
    The riding position also felt a bit weird. It actually hurt my back a little to start with but then it was fine later on. Maybe I'm not used to leaning over after having the Z1000SX as that's quite upright. The R1200R or GS felt a bit more natural when sat in the showroom. This also raised a question, why not just buy a GS?
    Decisions, decisions...

5. edtxw01

edtxw01 Active Member

It's interesting that you mention the brakes, on my test ride the front brake was firmer and more powerful than I expected. My K1300R had good brakes but the demo bike was a surprise. I accidentally pulled the lever a tad too hard as I approached a bend (a little faster than I really wanted to be), I momentarily locked the front wheel. I'm not sure what happened next I let off pressure and I think the ABS woke up too!
    My own bike has a good/firm front brake too but now I'm a little more cautious with it :)
    Perhaps you're demo bike wasn't set up quite how it should be. Did you try the four stage adjustment wheel to firm it up?
    The GS is a great bike I've had two an 1150 and the single cam 1200 but then everyone has one!!!!!

Jim Evans likes this.
  6. Rocky R

Rocky R Active Member

I thought the brakes were very powerful, it may be that particular bike that has an issue. As for leaning too forward, my other bike is a MG 1200 Sport, compared to it this is much more relaxed. If you intend to ride somewhat aggressive, a slight forward or "attack" position is better suited for the aggressive romps some of us tend to frequent. Looking forward to getting the Ride Modes Pro upgrade at first service as I'm looking for a slightly more spirited acceleration in the twisties. If this helps I may pass on the exhaust/air filter upgrade for now. Will be interesting for sure...

7. Bazmatron

Bazmatron New Member

Yeah the brakes puzzled me a bit, adjusting the leaver had no effect. There was just 1/4" of play before there was Any bite. It did stop just didn't feel me with confidence. Good to know that's other people's are fine.

8. Lee Streb

Lee Streb Member

Probably some air in the line.

9. B4bertie

B4bertie New Member

OTE="Bazmatron, post: 1905, member: 104"]Yeah the brakes puzzled me a bit, adjusting the leaver had no effect. There was just 1/4" of play before there was Any bite. It did stop just didn't feel me with confidence. Good to know that's other people's are fine.[/QUOTE]
    I've just jumped from a S1000R to the RS and inital thoughts were that the brake had a lot of play before biting as you describe but the front brake on the S1000R was brutal. After 500 hundred miles I'm getting used to the RS front brake and learning to trust it and the different feel....I think it's just a matter of recalibrating the brain to expect the new lever action.

10. Spiff

Spiff New Member

Hi All,

French article comparing these 2 bikes.
    http://www.lerepairedesmotards.com/essais/comparo/bmw-r1200rs-kawasaki-z1000sx.php

They are quite positive for both. This is the second comparison that I read on these two bikes, the other was on a paper magazine.
    Conclusion of these articles are very similar, the Kawa is the sportiest of the two with more pronounced lean forward and an engine preferring the high revs. The BMW is the more comfortable but more expansive. Brakes are more progressive on the BMW but the Kawa is more powerful. The BMW is a GT/sport while the Kawa is a Sport/GT. Therefore one has to keep this in mind before choosing its next bike.

Cheers,

Teddy Bear likes this.
  11. Adam Arcane

Adam Arcane New Member

The GS has an entirely different front end, the Telelever. I found the Dynamic fork on the RS to be sweet. Also had zero complaints on the brakes. One finger brakes on the one I rode, with a group of hooligans in the Canadian outback. I'm 5'11" and felt no back discomfort, but the saddle, like all others, feels a little lacking after a day seated. Moving around is very easy, though. I also have a GS, and on technical roads, it rules. It's actually amazing and you have to learn to trust it off road. I fondly call it the Walter Mitty dirtbike. BMW pulled it off because the GS is a superb machine. But, so is the RS...so, what's a rider to do?

12. blanchman

blanchman New Member

I am coming off of an R1150RS which has the whizzy brakes. They were quite annoying, and difficult to modulate. Very powerful though, and I did get used to them. I find the new RS brakes to be much more manageable with outstanding modulation. Having said that, I noticed that the new brakes did require quite the break in procedure. Initially, they made alot of noise, and I could feel the break-in drag on the braking surfaces. I purposely broke in the brakes very gently with smooth finese. Now, 1000 miles later, the brakes are very smooth, and only require 2 fingers for application. So, I consider the 1200RS brakes a big improvement over the 1150RS, albiet, neither of these bikes is a sport bike.

13. jamesgarnor

jamesgarnor Active Member

It's always going to be a tad more difficult coming from an inline four. There needs to be some play in the brakes and only a quarter of an inch doesn't sound too much for me. If there was air in the system the lever would feel spongy.
    I've fitted bar risers and am very pleased with the change in riding position.

Peter Burridge likes this.
  14. buelligan

buelligan Member

I traded in my Ninja 1000 for my RS.
    I didn't like the powerband, missed the torque of my previous bike, a Buell 1125.
    The RS gives me back that great torque, better handling, and a bit more room to stretch out.

15. Bazza Beemer

Bazza Beemer Well-Known Member

Baz, mine has that free spot in the front brake and I like it for three reasons. 1. If I have my fingers on the lever it operates the light (for the non believers behind) without operating the brakes. 2. It releases the cruise without braking and 3. It allows me to co-ordinate the rear brake better as my foot is slower than my hand. Even though the brakes are balanced I still brake old school as if that feature does not exist.

Jim Evans and OKBMW like this.
  16. TonUp

TonUp New Member

I test rode the z1000sx and really liked it, great engine and handling. However, it was useless for two-up as the wheelbase is so short that the pillion is forced in to a position behind the rear seat.

17. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

I don't know if there was a major update since, but I rode a 2013 Z1000SX not too long ago and it was a lovely bike especially compared to the GSX-R750 torture chamber I rode on the same day.

Comparing the two I wouldn't really do at all.

The Z is a narrow and nimble almost small bike in comparison that is lightweight and therefore almost twitchy in contrast.

The RS is a lot of bike. It's physically wider along the seat and legs but also there is a lot more bike in front of you. It's heavier and therefore more planted but like you say also slower to steer.

RS is probably the most sure footed bike I've ever ridden and I guess much like an Audi RS4 with Quattro it might seem boring for being so precise and consistent, where it's counterparts are a little more unpredictable and therefore scary.

Many people see scary as fun. I used to be the same. Now older and wiser I like predictable and simply staying alive is fun enough.

Jim Evans likes this.
  18. Belly

Belly New Member

I can help a bit here - I had a 2011 Ninja 1000ABS here in Australia. I spent a lot of time and $$ getting it more to where I wanted it with upgraded seat (Sargent), suspension (Ohlins f&b), gear indicator, tail tidy, custom paint on wheels, fairing bottom and ducktail, SC Project slip ons etc etc ... get the picture? Eventually after 27,000 klms I still had a bike that wasn't where I wanted to be so I traded it on a K1300S.

I loved the K13S, but onwards and upwards, I sold it after 2 years of ownership to pursue a KTM SuperdukeGT / S1000XR / Multistrada. The RS caught my eye while I was looking at the XR and that is where I will be heading.

I far preferred my R1100S to the Kawasaki despite the lower engine performance I believe I was faster across the ground on it and certailnly had more faith in the front end in the twisties and during track days. The RS is a much better tool than the R1100S, IMO, with better performance and handling - especially with the Semi active suspension. You won't be left behind on the track except at the back end of longer straights if my track days expreiences on the R1100S is any guide.

Attached Files:

Scorch likes this.
  19. Ben Waters

Ben Waters New Member

I just switched from a 14 z1000. Same frame and motor as the z1000sx. I like the suspension on the r1200rs a lot more. The z1000sx is great, and i agree has a nice motor and produces lots of power. I dont feel at a loss so far in switching to the 1200rs. Book a test ride and see what you think!

20. Belly

Belly New Member

Good advice about riding it Ben. The Ninja has 10kw (about 13hp) more than the RS, the RS has an extra 15Nm torque, but weighs 5 kg more. The hp is derived from the higher revs the i4 motor has and the torque is what you feel riding around. You wouldn't feel at a loss going to the RS given how close the technical data is for the two bikes. The improved ride and steering of the RS is the eye opener though. To get my Ninja steering better I changed the rear tyre profile to a 55 section from the standard 50, and raised the forks through the triple clamps about 5mm. I put Ohlins front and back to get it to ride better. The RS is still better.