No customization options are available.

RS/ S1000R head scratching

Discussion in 'R1200RS Versus The Competition' started by Ollybolly, May 2, 2016.

1. gprtw1

gprtw1 New Member

Head over heart I suppose.

2. steviegasgas

steviegasgas Member

I have a s1000r, its lovely, brilliant, awesome electrics, stunning to ride, but its an RS I am now wanting!! Took one out for a test ride and was surprised how much I liked it!

3. Hedgehog

Hedgehog Active Member

I only rode the S1000R for 1 day & wasn't a big fan, but then I came from the 1300 which is massive on torque & power. The R is all torque. You'll miss the revs big style... the suicidal feeling as it heads towards (past?) 11,000 rpm. But it has more torque than an RR at a lot less revs! Finding & using that torque is the key to getting the most out of this motor. Handling wise it's a lot more stable, less of a feeling that every loose stone is going to effect the balance of the bike, but it tips in to bends just fine.

4. nostatic

nostatic New Member

fwiw when I commute there are a couple of things that I want:

- light clutch (I have a lot of stoplights on the trip)
    - immediate torque (for dealing with drivers on their phones doing stupid things)
    - good visibility (me seeing, sitting high enough and mirrors, others seeing me)

For me the newer GS fits that bill. The only thing the RS falls a bit short on relative to the GS is the visibility part, but it isn't that much lower. I continue to be amazed at how good the wasserboxer motor is. My MV triple is much more manic and while that has a certain charm, it frankly isn't nearly as good for commuting. It does make me giggle like a little schoolgirl though...

fischetg likes this.
  5. Hedgehog

Hedgehog Active Member

I've found that although it's a fraction shorter it's frontal area is more striking, especially with the LED DTRL on...& being a blue & white it makes people do a double take anyway ;)

6. fischetg

fischetg Active Member

The ultimate solution is to be part of a communal stable of bikes. There is a bike available for every purpose, whim and mood.

7. shootersteve77

shootersteve77 Active Member

To me, the GS has a much more comfortable riding position than the RS. My problem with the GS is seat height. Anything more than 30" is too tall for me to be comfortable. I may wind up with the aftermarket GS bars on my RS one day soon.

8. runnerhiker

runnerhiker Well-Known Member Contributor

Not the GS bars, but the R bars are a direct fit on the RS without any further mods to cables etc. But it is pricey, I think around $400+. Other members have done it and show it here on this forum, look for hdready posts.

9. shootersteve77

shootersteve77 Active Member

Helibars makes aftermarket bars for the GS that fit perfectly on the R or RS. There's a thread on here all about it. I'm aware of the R bars after sitting on a few it seems I would need risers for those too, so I'd rather just go with the Helibars GS bars which seem to be infinitely adjustable. I wish Helibars would make a set of risers at the grip end of the bars like they have for most sport bikes. I already have the risers they make that go on the triple tree but if I could add the others to it, it may be a perfect fit and keep the cool look of the RS bars IMO.

10. Ollybolly

Ollybolly New Member

Hello all,

Long time, no writing. Just by way of an update, I finally plumped for an RS, via an XR. A long story, which I'll post later under another thread. Suffice to say, heart won over head with the XR for all of two weeks, after which heart also got convinced that the XR was wrong and the RS was right.

And how right it is. Sublime, even. I went for the new grey/ white with red frame. In the flesh it looks better than I thought it would. Which is not a patch on how it rides. It's made a very happy chappy of me.

Thanks again for all of your input and advice. Got there in the end :)

11. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

Good choice,Mrs Bravo and I took one out while our now dear departed K1300s was in for some recall work, while it looked lovely ,sounded great we wasn't impressed with it. The RS is the best bike I've ever ridden,I said it when I had one for the weekend back in April and ill still say it (and frequently do)now.

ray2 and fischetg like this.
  12. Nomad5326

Nomad5326 Member Contributor

Glad to see you made the right choice (for you) but also picked the slower color scheme so us Granite Guys can RULE! I was also stuck on the XR for a bit coming from ADV bikes but the RS won me over as well. Cheers mate and glad you like it...any bike is is better than no bike, right?

Bjornar likes this.