No customization options are available.

RS/ S1000R head scratching

Discussion in 'R1200RS Versus The Competition' started by Ollybolly, May 2, 2016.

1. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

In other words, the S1000R(R) is the one night stand after a party hook-up, whereas the RS is the wife. :D

andybima, SauRoN, GeeCee and 3 others like this.
  2. fischetg

fischetg Active Member

exactly.....

3. Ollybolly

Ollybolly New Member

Thanks very much indeed for this. That is exactly what I wanted to hear! And it chimes with my instincts. What I don't want to do is go with the 'sensible' option and then spend all my time with the RS thinking I'd made the wrong decision. Yep: agree with GG'scomparison to dating, I suspect the S1000R is more a 'mistress' than a long-term soul mate. But tempting nonetheless...

Thanks very much for providing those insights!

fischetg likes this.
  4. Bazza Beemer

Bazza Beemer Well-Known Member

So what are you deciding on? Or have you jumped already?

5. fischetg

fischetg Active Member

When the weather is perfect and you are out for pleasure, you will again think of the hot S1000R mistress and be at odds with your sensibility; as I often do. But when the trip is long and the weather is less than ideal, you will find comfort in knowing you made the right decision. The R1200RS will definitely grow on you and it gets better every day.

6. Ollybolly

Ollybolly New Member

Well... Think I'm definitely leaning towards the RS, with the caveats provided by fischrtg below. Also keyless ride v much appeals.. But not as much as the extra weather protection. I'm going for another test ride soon, methinks!

7. runnerhiker

runnerhiker Well-Known Member Contributor

Olly, stop thinking, stop analyzing, stop using your brain. You have gone as far as you can with those tools and you are now down to a pick between two bikes. The tie breaker is picked by the gut, one will grab you more than the other. And it might be for some small, simple thing.

ray2 likes this.
  8. Yoda

Yoda Active Member

Chap in my local outdoor clothing shop has a Multistrada - we talk bikes whenever I go in. Last time he said "what do you use to clean grease off your bike?"- I said waddya mean, grease? - he said, you know..all that muck from the chain.........

TimMc, edtxw01, ray2 and 1 other person like this.
  9. shootersteve77

shootersteve77 Active Member

After owning an S1000R for a year and then adding the R1200RS to my garage, I could't have said it better.

fischetg likes this.
  10. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

Boy howdy! (I throw in the cowboy slang for the Brits.) For those of us who are limited to one bike at a time (by our other wives), truer words were never spoken.

If you can afford a few bikes, then you can financially afford the solution of Delmore Schwartz's True Blue American -
    ...“Both: I will have them both!” declared this true-blue American
    In Cambridge, Massachusetts, on an April Sunday, instructed
    By the great department stores, by the Five-and-Ten,
    Taught by Christmas, by the circus, by the vulgarity and grandeur of
    Niagara Falls and the Grand Canyon,
    Tutored by the grandeur, vulgarity, and infinite appetite gratified and
    Shining in the darkness, of the light
    On Saturdays at the double bills of the moon pictures,
    The consummation of the advertisements of the imagination of the light
    Which is as it was—the infinite belief in infinite hope—of Columbus,
    Barnum, Edison, and Jeremiah Dickson.
    - though your British sensibility (if not your significant other) might not let you....

Ridden the S1000R and RR. The great thing with the clip-ons is they don't carry the harmonics from the motor like the big tuning fork on the R. To be honest, if I could have figured out how to get some panniers on the 2016RR without burning my belongings on the newly angled exhaust, I might have done it. I mean, why else would they put the cruise control on the RR?!?

That said - well, as all said above - shaft drive, hard bags, phenomenal cornering, smooth power, guilt-free and worry-free travel when the asphalt thread turns to gravel or grass.... Never thought I'd be married to a boxer, but I am now.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
    fischetg, GeeCee, Ollybolly and 2 others like this.
  11. Boxerboy55

Boxerboy55 Well-Known Member

End of story! Enjoy!

12. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Relatively light clutch?

It's the lightest clutch I've ever used.

Richard230 likes this.
  13. ray2

(You use the clutch?)

fischetg, SauRoN and edtxw01 like this.
  14. Barnesyboy

Barnesyboy Active Member

Nines time out of ten I forget I have the quick shifter and use the clutch. Additionally the clutch is so light it's a real quick to use itself.

15. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

Barnseyboy, get practicing on the quick shift, it's great fun and well smooth when you are used to it, 3rd down to 2nd sounds great as it auto blips the throttle, in fact you end up riding finding excuses for 3 - 2 shifting.:D

gardapete and TassieRob like this.
  16. GenadyL

GenadyL Active Member

Was a no brainer for me. I was in pain after about ~40 minutes on RR. But younger guys may be more flexible than me and can still tolerate it's ergos.

Aussie Import likes this.
  17. ray2

Well.., I turned 60 last week (which might bring derisive chortles from the majority of forum participants who seem to carry more years than me). I didn't celebrate, but I did get out on the bike.

Reminder - Most of what we call aging is just decreased fitness levels - for a lot of uncontrollable reasons such as injuries, illness, etc., but, we need to remember to FIGHT BACK.

(I see you are in South Bay. Isn't yoga mandatory there?)

18. GenadyL

GenadyL Active Member

:) Sure it is. I am in the gym most days of the week, but too many injuries to be comfortable in such a squeezed posture as RR puts me in.
    1000R was better posture wise, but I didn't like the ride, throttle mapping, handling, wind protection e.t.c

ray2 likes this.
  19. gprtw1

gprtw1 New Member

I currently own an S1000R. It is an awesome bike, makes me smile eveytime I climb on it. But (there is always a but), at 47 and having just done 1400 down to the Black Forest and back last week I can safely say it can get hard work after 150 miles. On top of this no facility for proper luggage (I used a Kriega us30 & us20 on the back seat). It was quite a bind especially as my brother (r1100s boxer cup) and my father (K1600GTL) could hop on and off and not have the hassle of re strapping bags on. Fuel economy over the trip was around 50 mpg but that soon came down with spirited riding on the Scharwzwaldhockenstrasse.
    To cut a long story short I am now considering the RS. I don't particularly like the upright position on the XR.

20. shootersteve77

shootersteve77 Active Member

I went from an S1000R to an RS. You'll miss the connected feeling, power and response of the engine of the S1000R, but you'll love the comfort and smoothness of the RS.