No customization options are available.

RS refresh with TFT?

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by Baron237, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Baron237

Baron237 New Member

Hi, I'm new to the forum.
    Has anyone heard any rumors as to when the RS will get a refresh/redesign? It's been 4 years. Should we expect at least the TFT next year?

I'm currently trying to decide between a GSA and an RS. If I decide RS I'll want to wait till they update the dash at least.

(current) 2016 Yamaha FZ-10
    Yamaha 2015 fz07 (wife)
    2000 BMW R1150 GS
    2002 BMW R1150 (wife)
    2000 Ducati MH 900e
    1998 Confederate Hellcat
    1997 Buell White Lightning
    1986 Yamaha Venture Royale
    1985 Yamaha Fj1100
    1978 BMW R1000RS
    1969 BMW R69
    1975 Kawasaki kz400
    1973 Yamaha 250 enduro
    IMG_1763.JPG

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    ray2 and Tony101 like this.
  2. shorn sheep

shorn sheep Active Member

Nice collection of bikes there! The fz-10 is looking good in black, love the sound of those crossplane engines. I see the latest of that model has a very nice TFT setup that's able to be accessed via a smartphone app so you can change settings remotely while having a beer! - it's a mystery why BMW is so far behind the game when it comes to electronics

3. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I sure haven't heard a peep about any BMW plans to refresh the RS. If past history is any guide, the GS will get any upgrades first, followed by the RT and finally (a year or two later) the R and RS models. So I would expect the RS to get the color TFT screen (as an example) around 2020 and it will likely cost an extra $500 as a factory-installed option, just like the GS. :( Meanwhile, other manufacturers are replacing their LCD displays with TFT on even their lower-priced models and at no additional cost. As usual, when you buy a BMW you are expected to pay for the privilege. :rolleyes:

shorn sheep, ray2 and Grumpy Goat like this.
  4. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

I'll go for that - mine will be three years old in 2020 and on previous schedules 2020 will be the year they release a colour scheme as nice as the Lupin:):)

5. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

I could not have said it better ... agree 1000%.

6. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

Motorsport colours would be nice.

Andy Griffiths likes this.
  7. Martien

Martien Member

Not into bikes that long, but I see an update every two years on the LC R and RS; introduction 2015, no change except color in 2016, gearbox update 2017 (maybe other things as well?), new colors only for 2018. So a bigger update should again arrive for the 2019 models, maybe the new dashboard?

8. Grumpy Goat

I wish you good luck on that colour dream ... :) There will always be black bikes and grey bikes and there is a reason for that ... timelessness as opposed to a passing fad. :) My bike will be three this October and the Granite Grey is still fresh to me. :D

As opposed to the TFT display ... I do hope that it is sooner than 2020 for the good of the marque. All the buzz these days is that the millennials (current 20 - 36 year olds; had to look that up) are who the future of motorcycling (and design focus) will depend on. So what do these people generally like in a motorcycle? Anything with a freaking screen that they can be glued to ... ergo TFT and other electronic gadgetry will be very important.

On the other hand bikes like the RS will be increasingly less attractive as baby boomers like most of us here die off. That is a whole 'nother discussion but suffice it to say that the RS may well disappear before they fit a TFT screen as standard; optional is more likely.

If their RS customers leave the marque for another bike I am sure BMW Motorrad would not lose any sleep because they still have strong customer bases for their sport bikes, nakeds, dual sports / adv bikes, and the big K bike.

Ducati seems to be taking the lead among European makers in putting TFT on all their bikes and they are better positioned to market to millennials on the whole. BMW could follow their lead in many aspects.

shorn sheep and Richard230 like this.
  9. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I bet the 2017 gearbox update had more to do with the $$$ GS market than with RS owner's complaints (which no one listens to anyway :rolleyes: ). So I continue to predict that 2020 will be the next noticeable update for the RS - assuming that Euro 5 doesn't start the new engine design installation program all over again, starting with the new Euro 5, VVT lean-burn (can they get any leaner?) motor being installed in the GS first, of course. ;) And when that happens, hang on to your wallets again. :eek:

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  10. Andy Griffiths

Well. as if weather wasn't bad enough today ...:):(

11. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Cheery thought .... "as the baby boomers start to die off".

True, but I will live through many more model years and can be tempted to buy another bike.

12. Grumpy Goat

Sorry ... didn't mean to sound morbid or anything like that. Sometimes I type as fast as the thoughts fly into my head and don't challenge myself to be a bit more articulate. :eek:

Martien and Andy Griffiths like this.
  13. Phillo

Phillo Active Member

Yeah definitely a “ cheery thought “ I don’t know how many model years I will still live through but this one is for me a “ keeper “ ?? ...well at least till 2020...maybe I will treat myself to a new one for my birthday then :)

14. Andy Griffiths

ha :), no problem

15. Freddo

Freddo Member

C'mon TFT dash and LED headlights...

Scorch, oscarguitar and Grumpy Goat like this.
  16. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

And an LED conversion kit for existing RS. (That doesn’t cost more than the bike)

Scorch, Grumpy Goat and Freddo like this.
  17. mzpog

mzpog Member

Heard bad things about LED lights and light patterns however still wonder if this is a BMW option or kit, have you used it and where does one buy it?

18. Brimstone Mahone

Brimstone Mahone Well-Known Member

What's TFT and why do I need it? I guess since I don't know what it is, that pretty much tells me I DON"T need it!

Based on the younger people I know - say below 26-28, there is virtually no interest in motorcycles. I don't think the manufacturers are in for a good time when us boomers are gone... ;)

19. Tony101

Tony101 Active Member

Spot on. Most of my classmates in 1973 - 76, and all of my friends rode motorcycles. None of my current workmates, who are aged between 35 and 50, has ever ridden one.

20. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

Both my sons (20 and 24) used to think that bikes were not cool as dad had one.......but.....they have started to become a little more interested recently and are talking about taking their training/tests. However, I think they are exceptions ....the future does not look good for mature Western bike markets......saviour might be found in the Eastern markets though.