No customization options are available.

RS Information and Ride Info from BMWMOA Rally in Hamburg, NY

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by darrell, Jul 26, 2016.

1. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

67 years old. Ordered bike in Dec 2105. Assembly started on Dec 30, 2015. Received bike on March 17, 2016. Took first ride on April 2, 2016. For me this is BMW number 21 with 15 of those bought new.

Today bike has 11130 miles. Has not used a drop of oil. Changed initial set of Z8 tires at 7600 miles. Installed the Roadtec 01 tires. Both sets have performed well but have yet to run even 1 mile in the rain so no idea how they will perform in wet conditions. And no, I'm not a fair weather rider after 45 years on BMW motorcycles.

Biggest single improvement I've made to the bike was relocating the GPS above the gauges using the Vortex bracket from Tony T at Hightide Technologies. I just glance down with my eyes and not even move the head to see the GPS. Best $250 spent on the bike so far.

Best fun item added is the Akrapovic Exhaust. What a hoot that is to listen to when down shifting and when I decide to use some throttle.

I just finished a 3319 mile ride to the BMWMOA National Rally in Hamburg, NY and below is some data recorded during the trip.

From the bikes gauge is below
    Average moving speed was 47 mph
    Engine run time was 71 hr 31 min
    Bike moving time was 67 hr 48 min

From GPS is below
    Maximum speed attained was 91 mph
    Average moving speed was 46 mph

Total miles difference between GPS Trip Meter 1 and 2 and Trip A/B
    GPS tripmeter showed 3319 miles and the bike trip A and/or B showed 3392 miles or a 2.2% difference that is what I had calculated my speedo and odometer are optimistic compared to GPS numbers. I believe the trip meter 1 and 2 get their information from the GPS and Trip A and/or B get the information from the bike

Fuel consumption
    Bike showed 49 mpg using premium (91-93 octane as generally no ethanol added)
    My calculated number based on actual gallons was 47.8 mpg

Most surprising thing I learned was the bike clock is adjusted when one crosses a time zone. The GPS changes as soon as you cross a time zone but to get the bikes clock to change you must shut down the bike and then when you turn on the ignition to start the bike again the time adjusts on the bike clock.

This bike is real dream to ride. I've not made any ergonomic adjustments to the bars, seat or pegs and may not need to based on the first 3 plus months of ownership. Maybe a Sargent seat some day in 2017.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  2. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Wonderful report Darrell. I also learned about the time zone thing on this trip.

Peter Burridge likes this.
  3. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info Darrell.

4. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

Nice 1 Darrell:)

5. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

Great report. You can set the clock to adjust to GPS time: page 63 in the manual.

6. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Grumpy Goat as in INJURED Grumpy Goat - welcome back to the internet - hope you are sitting comfortably

7. Andy Griffiths

Have I got this correct - 11000 miles in 3 months - first gasp of amazement:eek: - and then NO wet miles - fell off the chair :eek::eek::eek::eek:

What is your postal address - Nirvana, Utopia ?

8. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

It is 3 months plus and soon to be 4 months on 8/2. Live here in the land of only 7 months of riding plus retired so have to get the rides in when I can and occupy my time. Fun part is I also have put 5000 miles on my other 3 BMW bikes in this time period. I have been completely lucky on the not one mile of rain with this bike.

Once you get to an acceptable financial position and can find activities to occupy your time (riding, working out at the health club and spending time on the farms I own) retirement is a pretty good gig.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    QuietProphet likes this.
  9. Andy Griffiths

Well done you ! Growing old disgracefully :D

10. woolf

woolf Active Member

Thank you for posting a great ride report . I love the ride report that we can get from the GPS , as yo stated in your report . Top speed , MPG , MPH , # of times you use the front and rear brakes , etc , etc . Got to love it , I do .

11. Stixx

Stixx Active Member

It was good to meet you in Hamburg. I was so sorry to hear about Grumpy on his way home. I have put 22000 miles on mine since we met and I must say I am not real keen on the ergo's now and my 8000 mile trip from Atlanta to Oregon and Canada and back did not endear me to the riding position on mine. Got the barracks from Illium , lowered the pegs in Alburqueque using make shift GS adjustable pegs and when I got home added the Sargent seat. At the end of the day , I have about decided I should have bought the GS . Bent knees due to my last crash just doesn't make for a comfortable trip and the short seat room and reach to the bars with my short arms make my choice of RS now looking not so smart. Shame too as I truly LOVE this bike more than any other I've owned.

darrell and Grumpy Goat like this.