No customization options are available.

Riding Gear, now that I 'Pulled' on the new RS

Discussion in 'Helmets, Leathers, Boots and Gloves' started by DonT45RS, Oct 27, 2017.

1. DonT45RS

DonT45RS Member

I want to learn more about the latest protective gear and for me that starts with jacket and pants or a suit. Today I went to Max's in New Hampshire to check out the BMW gear. I came away liking the GS Dry Suit and the Rallye Suit. I think I prefer the Dry since it's a lot lighter but still substantial for three seasons. My major concern is visibility..I'd like something like the Neonshell Jacket but it's just too warm-weather for here in New England.
    Of course the BMW garb is $$$, but I do like the look and logos. I know there are many quality brands, some right up there in dollars too. I would like all your input on this topic to help me get the right stuff.

2. Yoda

Yoda Active Member

Lots of opinions on clothing you will find young Padawan :cool:
    Regarding the $$$ - when that is mentioned I just say to people have you checked the price of a high-end outdoor shell jacket from the likes of Arc'teryx?
    I have two GS Dry jackets - one size 52 that I wear 3 seasons and one size 54 under which I can fit my Gerbings heated liner. For me the GS Dry is one of BMW's most versatile jackets, in terms of function - water resistance, venting, protection, pockets etc. and not too heavy or expensive. In terms of visibility you do have the "pull out" French reflector panels but if you want more then a high-vis vest is a simple answer?
    I haven't tried the GS trousers - I use the "Rider" trousers most of the time.
    (If you fancy a more substantial jacket than the GS dry I have a Streetguard for sale in Classifieds :D)

3. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

If you want to look a little bit less 'world adventurer' I use the BMW Streetguard jacket. Superb , they also do a version with its of reflective bits. You're right , there's loads of good kit out there but you can spent a lifetime travelling ad trying on stuff.

4. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

I'd highly recommend getting a set of armoured jeans for the warmer months, and textiles for wet / cool weather.
    BMW offer a range of armoured jeans, the advantage of which is that they will all zip together with a BMW jacket for greater safety.

I'm not sure what the after-sales service is like in the US, but over here, BMW really stands behind their clothing. I've had 3 new jackets out of them because of a zipper or velcro tab failing. There is no quibble, they just replace. To my mind, that justifies the greater expense of buying BMW gear.

I'm also definitely going to go back to a BMW helmet when it comes time to replace my Schuberth. I was happy with my old System 6 lid for about 7 years, but I've never been that impressed with the Schuberth (which is only about 18 months old). The new carbon fibre System 7 is definitely worth looking at.

As for hi-viz, I am definitely inclined to recommend it. However, I don't think I'd ever buy a motorcycling jacket with built-in hi-viz panels. As a daily commuter in any weather, my hi-viz gets absolutely filthy. I replace my over-jackets every 4 to 6 months, something you can't do with a full jacket.

I tend to wear a lightweight, cheap jacket like this for most days:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORCYC...605122?hash=item28223538c2:g:eGoAAOSwPCVX~kx5
    (To me, the long sleeves are important, as they improve my conspicuity from the side)

Or if the weather is particularly nasty, I wear this waterproof one:

Even though my Streetguard jacket is brilliantly waterproof, this just keeps me extra warm and dry.
    It also packs down nicely into a small bag, so if you're wearing a mesh jacket on a warm day, you can have it with you in case of an unexpected downpour.

For boots, I highly recommend Daytona. Mine are 3 years old, and still fully waterproof and all-day comfortable.

stuart2820 likes this.
  5. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

The weather here in Louisiana is so much different than New England, I could steer you wrong...but I have gotten great service from my Aerostich Darien suit. You pick the size and color scheme and they’ll make it for you. The Aerostich catalog also has all manner of great kit other than riding suits...

http://www.aerostich.com/jackets-pants/darien

6. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

Don, there are lots of good options for gear on the market today. I'm an Aerostich and Klim user. Both have served me well. Based on your profile and comments you must be located relatively close to Philadelphia, PA. Call Revzilla and see when you can ride down to see them and try on what they have. You'll have plenty of options except Aerostich brand which is strictly mail order unless you can ride in to MN to see their store and manufacturing location for some of their suits.

It is alway fun to visit a shop that specializes in a specific brand. For example I'm an Arai helmet user and I ride from MN to The Service Pavillon in New Holland, PA when I need a new helmet so I can be fitted properly for the model I'm buying.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    ray2 likes this.
  7. Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Bob Ain't Stoppin' Member

Don, You should check out Twisted Throttle. Don't know exactly where you are, but they are Exeter, RI. They have Klim and several other brands.

ray2 likes this.
  8. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

You do know how to push the buttons.
    Get what's comfortable and what you're used to riding. Everyone is simply telling you what they like.
    Darrell - who's probably putting on more miles than any of us this year - makes the point that fit is critical. He also knows every excuse for a good ride.
    That said - I picked up a Rallye Suit to experiment with, and found that it runs 4 seasons for me with only a little tweaking at the extremes. My first big trip involved a snow storm between Buffalo and Boston. Around 8 degrees F acouple of days later, I can run 65 mph (straight south) with appropriate underwear, heated vest, old LL Bean sweater, chest protector, liners in, vents closed. About my third big trip, I found myself in Kansas at 104 deg F with a polo shirt, chest protector, liners out, vents open. I never have taken off the sleeves, though that's an option. Though it's off the rack, you would fit pants and jacket separately.
    Remember to have fun with this.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    runnerhiker and darrell like this.
  9. Graham Ramsey

Graham Ramsey Member

I'm just waiting delivery of my 2nd Aerostich Roadcrafter - bloody stunning suit. I used to (and still occasionally) wear a BMW Atlantis, excellent in the winter with the gortex liners in, but far too hot in the summer. The Roadcrafter is fine all year round, I wear a heated jacket in the winter months and T-shirt for summer. Ridden it from -12 deg C to 46 deg C so more than happy with the crafter performance.

darrell likes this.
  10. DonT45RS

DonT45RS Member

I went to Greater Boston Motorsports in Arlington yesterday and brought home the Klim Latitude Jacket and Pants. Thanks to you guys input, and especially Josh at GBM, I decided this was a good fit for me. Josh was just outstanding in helping me and so I decided to purchase from him. I really appreciate great customer service and product knowledge. It sometimes seems rare these days but Boston Motorsports and Josh were a pleasant surprise.

Lee and Graham Ramsey like this.
  11. terry847

terry847 Active Member

Congrats on the new gear. Klim is quality stuff. Don't forget to check out some heated gear for when the weather is cooler/cold. A heated vest or better a heated jacket under the Latitude jacket will be much appreciated.

DonT45RS and Lee like this.