No customization options are available.

Remus headers

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by oscarguitar, Sep 9, 2016.

1. James Kennedy

James Kennedy Active Member

Interesting. I don’t have any of your issues with my 16. Very responsive & smooth & pulls like a tractor from around 2500 on up. Redlines quickly, I you wanted although I do t think I’ve ever take. It quite that high. Maybe it’s just the hot rod in me. We’ll see if Akras headers give me a little more on top.

2. Cobroll

Cobroll New Member

That’s exactly what I did, it pulls like a train and I love the noise!
    Unfortunately I can’t compare it to stock as I had it all fitted before I picked it up and my test ride seems like a long time ago!

3. James Kennedy

Just installed Akrapovics Titanium headers to go with their slip on and wow what a difference. Much smoother, better throttle response, and pulls the way she’s supposed to in the upper rpms. Love it.
    So, haven’t ridden far yet but wondering how well BMWs ECU did to compensate as far as fuel mixture. Don’t want it running any leaner than it already is. I’ll put a couple of hundred miles on her tomorrow and see how things look. I don’t think BMW put all that junk in their Exhaust Manifold to improve the engines performance. My bikes gotta be loving the lack of exhaust restrictions now.

4. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

My 2002 Yamaha FZ1 has an exhaust back-pressure valve in the exhaust collector, installed before the muffler. Press reports at the time that the bike was first introduced was that Yamaha inserted the valve to increase low-rpm torque and to smooth out the power curve, although it may also be useful to reduce exhaust sound slightly. Since BMW doesn't appear to brag about their exhaust valve improving performance, it likely has been installed to meet government noise and/or pollution regulations.

James Kennedy likes this.
  5. James Kennedy

I definitely hear you Richard. My sons cat on his FJ-09 was just a ltiile disc. The cat on the BMW IS HUGE. And that exhaust valve flapper thing. Talk about just a bunch of restrictive junk. I would not have believed adding the Akra Header would have made this kind of differerence. Way smoother off idle to redline. Much better throttle response and no longer runs out of steam above 6000 rpms. Just a huge difference. Really transformed my bike.

6. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

Runs out of steam above 6000? You guys must have a different bike. I'm too busy hanging on to tell.
    Come on, admit it, you're just justifying wasting over a thousand bucks just to make more noise.

7. James Kennedy

I almost simply ignored your comment. Couldn’t decide whether or not to take you seriously. Can’t say I appreciate you rubbing it in. And yes, the extra $800 for the headers did hurt. I ain’t a rich guy. I have always preferred the sound of a slip on and the ARS definitely needed it. I was quite happy with the added exhaust not of the Akrapovic slip on but as I stated, it was just really running out out gas above 6K. I don’t think it was a Cat issue but possible the exhaust valve not opening properly. She pulls now so who cares. Yes. Expensive. Try dropping down to 4th to make a pass and hitting 6K and not going anywhere. I’d mentioned it to the dealer and they said everything checks out fine.
    The owner of the shop made a funny comment when taking my bike in for the dyno about why he didn’t do ECU work on BMWs anymore. He said you just couldn’t please that crowd and all they did was complain about the cost. Told me of one guy that wanted more power. The bike put out more power but he wanted his money back because the bike was getting 2 miles per gallon less than it did before the ECU Flash

8. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

Never take me seriously, James, I may have just taken my nasty pills.

James Kennedy likes this.
  9. James Kennedy

Cool. It is to bad the shop didn’t take my issue more seriously. Personally I liked the sound a little better with just the slip on but it’s fine. When I mentioned the lack of power they said to check the air intake of the bike for restrictions. I really do think there was an issue with my bikes exhaust valve not fully opening. Oh well. Runs the way it’s supposed to now.

10. TexasJock

TexasJock Member

Well guys I just finished prepping my bike for its next track day. Going to COTA on Saturday. Full Remus exhaust with power commander totally fixes the mid range. Not sure if it gives any more top end but really that is not why we ride these bikes. Nice clean acceleration from 4000 rpm is where this bike shines.