No customization options are available.

Remus headers

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by oscarguitar, Sep 9, 2016.

1. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

Has anybody fitted the Renus headers and muffler together? For about £100 more than the Acro muffler you can buy the whole Remus caboodle. I prefer the look of the Remus in any event and think that £450 for the headers looks pretty good value. Intrested in any feeback.

Just need to order the replacement bike now. :D

2. SVTNate

SVTNate Member

There are posts in the exhaust forum on the Remus header system. I remember reading them prior to purchasing my end can.

I decided the whole exhaust flapper valve thing, coupled with being confident the bike would need to be retuned after a full exhaust, prevented me from doing it. I just did the can.

I wish, like my old Triumph, I could've done a full catless system and just had a ECU reflash at the dealer. If this was a possibility, I'd do a full exhaust in a heartbeat.

3. jamesgarnor

jamesgarnor Active Member

I have a full system, not Remus but the other one. It's obviously catless but the bike hasn't been reflashed and actually runs better and smoother than with the std system.

James Kennedy likes this.
  4. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

The salesman I use at my dealer has 2015 LC GS with the full Akro. He loves it and says the bike is far more responsive than standard. Since he is the one that runs all the demos in he has a lot of bikes to compare it with. Quite tempted for when I get my replacement.

James Kennedy likes this.
  5. folagana

folagana Well-Known Member Contributor

for what I know, all dealers have no access to the ECU in order to modify the injection and the ignition advance...at least in italy

if you do not add a high performance air filter and you do not refresh the ecu then you will have small performances increase

what is your target? More power, more torque, and where, high revs... low revs...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  6. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

Triumph have the ability to re-flash the ECU after fitting of their accessory exhausts.

More usefully, if you get TuneBoy and an adapter you can do it yourself.

The bike may well run smoother and be more responsive with a decat but a lean running bike will be running still leaner without some sort of modification to the fuelling system. The more you derestrict the exhaust the greater the increase in lean mixtures. I leave my Remus baffle in for this reason. And no the narrow band sensor won't allow the ECU to adapt.

Peter

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  7. folagana

Also yamaha and ducati, but not BMW unfortunately

I did it on my old F800ST, but It was quite complicated

Peter Burridge likes this.
  8. Peter Burridge

There's certainly a 'learning curve' :D

9. SVTNate

SVTNate Member

I have a friend who works in a BMW service department, and he tells me that every retuned Wasserboxer he's seen (mostly Power Commander) runs like crap.

And yes, I don't see how a full system on a stock ECU is a good idea... you're taking a lean condition and making it worse, aren't you? Isn't this the case for pretty much any motorcycle where you remove the cat with a full exhaust upgrade, and don't adjust the fueling?

This was my concern. I'd much rather have the sound and look of a catless full exhaust, but I don't see any good method of adjusting the AFR.

Also, my other concern was this - a Power Commander was an easy (although expensive for dyno tuning) fix back in the day. Now, we have bikes with multiple engine maps for multiple power modes. Is this a concern with tuning? If you, for example, install a new map to adjust fueling, is that good for any power mode, or just one power mode?

I know almost nothing about this stuff, but I've had 2 bikes with Power Commanders and custom maps in the past. More power, smoother, richer mixture, fuel economy drops a bit (always tuned in conjunction with a full exhaust upgrade, no cats), engine runs cooler, but those weren't bikes with multiple power modes.

10. Peter Burridge

The RS doesn't have multiple power modes either. It simply has three different throttle body/twist grip relationships. A Power Commander wouldn't prove an issue if correctly set up.

Are you a bassist Nate?

Peter

Last likes this.
  11. folagana

Only a very expert engineer can do a ECU remapping to improve the engine performance. Typically the OEM engine map is not optimized because of the EURO 3 directive (enviromental directive to limit the emissions).

The power commander is only a way to bypass the ECU...

in 2010 I decided to remap my F800 to try to improve the torque curve (there was a lack at 4000 rpm). A friend of mine, which is expert helped me. Despite all attempts we did I was not possible to remove completely the lack. Probably the balancing shaft allows some vibrations of second order which affect the torque... I will never know....

12. folagana

even if I cannot prove it... The ECU should have a map related to the torque limit. This map could be different for dynamic/road/rain maps...also the fuel pump map could be different.

yes the injection and the injection timing should the same...

13. Peter Burridge

Why? What is the need? If you do some research you'll find that BMW simply change the servo ratio between the twist grip and the throttle bodies. Why mess with maps when there is absolutely no need? Altering the ratio accomplishes exactly what they set out to do and that is to reduce the sensitivity of the throttle. It's a simple and cheap way of achieving this and it does it well.

Peter

oscarguitar likes this.
  14. folagana

Not sure I understood what you mean. You mean it is mechanical?
    I know RS has a drive by wire throttle, so the ECU is managing the throttle response. The ECU has different maps to manage the engine:

injection (how much fuel..., time unit)
    injection timing (maybe my translation is incorrect... is the angle in advance to start the injection)

torque limit
    fuel pump map
    throttle position/engine load

there are also other maps but I'm not so expert to talk about them. For what I learnt by mapping my old F800, if you want to get a different response at the throttle you have to modify the last three at least. This is very simple and without cost... it is software..

Well, when you open the throttle you are telling to the ECU what load the engine should be set. Maybe the ratio you are talking about is position of the throttle and the corresponding load for the engine. But the ECU, also can manage the way you have to achieve the load. So there are other maps which tell to the engine how to achieve the desired load. In particular the torque limitation map (not sure it is the right translation) is important to have a faster response.

I hope I'm more capable doing an example. If the throttle has 360° of rotation... it should give full load at 360°... if it is just a matter of ratio... you should not achieve the full power at 360° with the rain map or road..

the power is always available but the way you achieve it is completely different. I spent three months studing and mapping my F800 which has a bosch ECU simpler than RS. The throttle response is a combination of factors which are managed by the ECU with different maps not only the throttle position.

15. folagana

coming back to the thread

I'm not a fun of tuning, the bikes typically are well designed by the engineer if you want to get more power, torque or different engine response you may add different facilities but you have to pay something in terms of reliability, fuel consumption and emissions.

anyway the best way is the mapping but you have to find a technician very expert

so my suggestion is to put the remus muffler to improve the sound (if you like) and the weight... do not expect significant improvement. Do not change you headers... it really need a ECU remapping.

oscarguitar likes this.
  16. James Kennedy

James Kennedy Active Member

I have the Akra slip on and performance is similar to stock can. Feels like it runs a little out of steam in the higher revs in 4th thru 6th. Not bad but lacking. Will be adding the Akra headers to see if the lack of restriction cures this.

17. James Kennedy

18. James Kennedy

I’m looking for the bike to pull a bit better above 6K in 4th thru 6th. Right around 6500 my 09 felt like you could really feel the cam kicking in and it pulled like a stud. My RS just feels like it’s running out of steam above 6K in the taller gears.

19. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I don't have that sensation with my early-build RS. It seems to pull strongly all the way to redline (using the stock muffler and exhaust). The only fueling issue that I notice is a hesitation and then a noticeable pickup when whacking the throttle open from a steady cruise.

James Kennedy and folagana like this.
  20. Rocky R

Rocky R Active Member

I tried to buy the full Remus system but they wouldn't sell it to me because I live in California. Was able purchase the Remus ti muffler, then bought the Akro header which they had no problem selling to me. the Remus and Akro headers are virtually identical. To breathe in more air I went to a K&N and to correct the lean issue added a Booster Plug. Bike runs great and definitely more "perky".