No customization options are available.

Removing Tar

Discussion in 'Servicing & Maintenance' started by SauRoN, Apr 10, 2017.

1. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Well I need to give a big shout out to @Phillo who recommended using paraffin (kerosene for you American folk) to get the tar off.

I'll be honest after trying to get it off with regular washing the moment I got home after being sprayed with the tar and it doing absolutely NOTHING even when scratching with a nail I wasn't very hopeful.

Then it took me weeks to finally get around to it this weekend and I think now it definitely won't work because I've left it too long.

Used an old cloth nappy and liberally doused it in the stuff as if I was making a petrol bomb and then laid it across the windscreen for a few minutes and would your believe everything slid right off with virtually no effort or elbow grease required on my part.

Getting the cloth to stay in place around the little fairing bits and the heads was more of a trick but even those cleaned easily and then I put it through a regular wash (in the backyard out of the public eye...water restrictions be damn) and I swear the bike is cleaner now than when I got it.

Of course I washed the whole bike only to realize after the fact that I missed the tar on the mirrors, but fortunately you don't see that too obviously so it will wait for another day.

However the massive failure on my part is that I always put my wash mits and micro fiber towels through the washing machine and then seal them in a bag after I'm done...and in doing so I completely forget about the paraffin nappy.

To make things worse I then filled the washing machine with clothes from the washing basket...and now my wife wants to murder me because everything smells like paraffin.

Fortunately it seems easy enough to reverse with some sunlight liquid and a second wash in vinegar and bicarbonate soda.

Jim Evans, ray2, Lee and 4 others like this.
  2. Brimstone Mahone

Brimstone Mahone Well-Known Member

WD40 works well for that and most folks have a can of it in the garage anyway... ;)

As far as fixing your mess-up with the laundry...you're on your own! :)

AZGeek, ray2, Slipstream and 2 others like this.
  3. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

WD40 does a great job.:)

4. Ray Bridgman

Ray Bridgman New Member

.... and so does white spirit!

oldbikemart and ray2 like this.
  5. Slipstream

Slipstream Active Member Contributor

WD-40 is magic. You're an instant Wizard by using it just once. Use it 10 times and you're a certified Sorcerer.

Richard230 and Bravo like this.
  6. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Didn't have much luck with WD40...but maybe the localised version Q20 is different somehow.

But then again I didn't let it "sit" and just tried to spray on and rub off.

The washing is still fucked though, but the wife doesn't seem to mind too much. I suspect she plans to throw it all out and buy new stuff while I'm in Sri Lanka for four weeks.

Scorch and Leon.P. like this.
  7. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

Rookie question: Wouldn't paraffin have some sort of 'hazing' effect on a windscreen?

8. Phillo

Phillo Active Member

So you didn't actually try WD40 and used Q20 ???

9. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Isn't it the same thing?

I was under the impression it's our South African version.

10. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

I believe that would be the case if it was petroleum based like Benzine or the like.

But since it's oil based it's apparently safe.

Used it on my visor as well and haven't noticed any difference, although it was pretty buggered to begin with.

Scorch likes this.
  11. Phillo

Phillo Active Member

No the two are completely separate products and WD40 is freely available in SA..also good for fishing :D

SauRoN likes this.
  12. Mick O'Halloran

Mick O'Halloran Member

This has happened to me in the past and I was advised by a spray painter to use wax and grease remover which worked very well

13. AZGeek

AZGeek Member

+1 on the WD40. I had a ride today where the road crew was just throwing fresh asphalt into potholes/cracks and letting traffic tamp it down. Brilliant, right? Well, the bike had tons of bits of asphalt all over the place and I first gently removed the big bits and then used a rag soaked with WD40 to soften and remove any tar. Thanks to @Brimstone Mahone for posting that as a solution for tar removal.

Scorch, Richard230 and Leon.P. like this.