No customization options are available.

Removing Battery Help

Discussion in 'Servicing & Maintenance' started by Slipperman, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Slipperman

Slipperman New Member

Hi There
    Trying to remove the battery so I can give it a deep charge as Spring approaches. In trying to follow the instructions in the manual on page 147 (attached) I cannot get the tab to move in the direction described on the third picture. Any Thoughts?
    Please note that the bike is in a storage locker for the winter, I cannot just plug it in.

2. roger coleman

roger coleman Well-Known Member

I just kept fiddling with mine until it came loose. It is stiff and fiddly, but it will come away. Make sure you have definitely unlatched it before try to tilt it away

ray2 likes this.
  3. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

Some of the attachments that keep these light pieces of plastic on on a quick bike with a single fastener are engineering genius..., if not a little fiddly. Once you see how it attaches, the fiddling will disappear.
    (Although I have the mechanical confidence of a former professional bicycle wrench (think light pieces that break under torque), I'm now over 60 years old; I admit to use of a flashlight and reading glasses the first time I had to get to the battery. Those tools always seem to save a lot of time in the long run....)

roger coleman likes this.
  4. Phoenix

Phoenix Member

The battery retaining plate has a tongue that goes under the bottom of the battery, it has stud in it.
    You have to lift the battery up quite a bit to dis-engage the stud, enabling you to pull the tongue out towards you.
    Once the tongue is out from from under the battery slide the bracket assembly a little more upwards disengaging the posts on each side of the retaining plate.
    Reverse procedure to re-install.

Grumpy Goat and Richard230 like this.
  5. Jetpilot5

Jetpilot5 Member

This. ^ Lift then pull out. The weight of the battery is actually holding the retaining plate in place. I had a heck of a time with this too. The picture in the owners manual isn't the greatest. Here's from the service manual.

Attached Files:

Beatlunch, Fjaoos, Jim Evans and 2 others like this.
  6. roger coleman

its like a lot of these things, once you know how, you will never want to do it again, because its a PITA

Richard230 likes this.
  7. Slipperman

Slipperman New Member

Many Thanks to you all for your responses. The pic in the service manual helps as it shows direction of movement required. I will give it another try next weekend and let you know how it goes. Still a long way from riding season here in southern BC with more snow in the forecast. Winter is showing no signs of letting go!

8. Slipperman

Slipperman New Member

Hi there! battery came free and charged up just fine. One of those thing that I did not want to force, not really knowing which direction to use appropriate level of force.

Jim Evans likes this.
  9. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

It is okay to use some force after following the above instructions on the retaining plate. That part is a PITA and with that material you are unlikely to break it (it is not brittle). Next time just haul 'er out of there using however much force you want. That rubber strap is great engineering and to me is more useful as a battery holder, but the retaining plate is good as an extra measure and in a crash.

Jim Evans likes this.
  10. Dejocko

Dejocko Member

I'm sitting at work with my bike outside after jump starting it this morning for the second morning in the row. Probably going to go with a new duracell or an Odyssey brand battery from a local retailer instead of warranting the battery for the second time in twelve months.

Read this post about battery removal to prepare me and I'm super confused about what the fuck is holding the red terminal to the electrical system...

If all I have to do is remove the cable from the black terminal and lift up on that thing and pull....what is going on with the red terminal on the battery itself? How is it connected?

11. roger coleman

when you pull you will find it drags out the red cable as well

Dejocko likes this.
  12. Phoenix

Phoenix Member

You have got the principle - Just follow the steps in the second post in this thread, 3rd image item 1 removing the retaining plate. Needs a "firm" touch, Then slide the battery out and the red lead & terminal become accessible .

13. Dejocko

Dejocko Member

Thanks!

What battery should I be looking to get?

There's a Batteries and Bulbs nearby and poking around on their website our bike doesn't appear to be properly listed so not sure which battery I should be looking at.

I can tell I need an "AGM" type whatever that is o_O

I am looking at batteries for a 2014 R1200R ? They appear to look the same best I can tell.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/motorcycle/bmw/r1200r/1200cc/2014/cyl10001

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  14. Phoenix

Phoenix Member

Seem to recall my replacement was Yuasa YTX14H-BS, but some decide on a Lithium type, do a search on the site for "Lithium Battery" to get opinions on pros & cons

15. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

Check out Batterystuff.com. They have multiple battery listings for almost every motorcycle. Even if you don't buy one from them, their website will tell you which battery you need.

I just checked their website. There is a typo with the RS/R category. Someone typed it "S" instead of "RS" (there not being any R1200S models), but anyway here is the link to our batteries: https://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/motorcycle/bmw/2016/r1200s-r/

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  16. Fjaoos

Fjaoos Member

Thanks for the service manual image. Now it does make a lot more sense why the removal was such a struggle.

17. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

and for those in the UK, here are a number of options at very different prices
    https://www.tayna.co.uk/YTX14-BS-Motorcycle-Batteries-G112.html - you may find them cheaper so worth checking (especially Tayna's own Ebay shop where you may get postage free). Tayna's service is top notch though and I would take a punt on what I think is their own premium brand, Enduroline.