No customization options are available.

Recommend a Tent and Sleeping Bag

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Bub, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Bub

Bub Active Member

Thanks Ray, I like the looks of that pillow. I've been very intrigued by camping hammocks for a couple years, after seeing a demo of one. Both my son and a buddy dissuaded me of that notion as being too limiting for what I want. They sure wouldn't take up much room though!

My son has an little camping stove and some other small gear that I can borrow. He's off frolicking with the Marines and all his stuff is at my house. I want my own tent and sleeping bag/ major gear though.

2. Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Bob Ain't Stoppin' Member

Bub, About the 2 man tent thing. Keep in mind that a one man tent has room for your sleeping bag and maybe your wallet. That's it! No room for your riding gear, boots, or any luggage. It's really inconvenient when it's raining out and you need something from your luggage. Get a 2 man, and everything is inside and dry while the weather is bad.

About the hammock thing. I've never done it,, but wonder about dealing with the bugs, skeeters etc. When at the Dinosaur park east of Calgary two years ago the skeeters were so bad the only peace I had was inside the tent You need some living room there. Get a tent one person larger than the occupants if you want to be happy.

Grumpy Goat and Bub like this.
  3. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

Slackers of the world........Unite!
    :)

Bub likes this.
  4. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

Agree with the sentiment. But, to be at your level of slacking, one needs a level of funding that not all of us enjoy. I'm lucky. My work and credit cards give me a bunch of free nights at Marriotts every year.

(That doesn't mean that I don't carry and sometimes use the "bedroll" above, on general principle.)

As regards camping, there's also the sentiment of the @Bug Dr. , an entymologist who feels more comfortable with bugs in the woods than bugs in cheap hotel rooms.

I believe one should consider free camping in a national forest or on a farmer's lawn (with permission), as more of a slacker lifestyle than the Best Western. (c.f., MOA anonymous book)

And, if one is riding for a few months, one feels even more like a real slacker - and not just a wannabe slacker, that lives the motonomad lifestyle for 3 weeks a year. (OK, I represent that remark.)

Of course, it strikes me that none of us are real slackers or dirtbaggers. If we were, we wouldn't be riding, but would instead sit at home and depend on our better half for beer money.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    Bub likes this.
  5. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

If you put all your camping gear in one bag your tent needs to be in it's own waterproof bag before going in the main bag.
    Packing a wet tent with your sleeping bag does not work well. Even if it does not rain at night, dew can really get a tent wet. High humidity will not be a problem in most of the western states, but I would still plan on dealing with a wet tent in the morning just to be safe.
    If you do not buy a footprint made for your tent make sure the ground cloth you use is not sticking out beyond the edges of the tent.
    A ground cloth extending beyond the tent floor does a good job of collecting water :)
    I know you mentioned you would motel if the weather is bad, but the weatherman is not always right and you get a surprise storm in the middle of the night.

Bub and PaulB_UK like this.
  6. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Don't remember if vestibules were mentioned. A vestibule is a handy place to keep your gear and it does not add much bulk or weight to the tent.
    If the area has snakes or scorpions, bring your gear inside.
    P1000062 (Large).JPG

Bub and ray2 like this.
  7. Mr. 36654

I understand the need to keep costs under control, but I just lost the desire to camp.

On a separate note, I distinctly recall my wife calling me a dirtbag during the past week. However, I do think it was mentioned in a loving/joking manner.

Grumpy Goat, Bub and ray2 like this.
  8. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

The scumbag hackers are slowly invading all of the threads. I will miss this forum. If it does not survive I will check on GGs YouTube postings for a new contact point.

9. Mr. 36654

These things will pass...

10. Bub

Bub Active Member

After all the very helpful suggestions and a little research, I bought a Marmot Limelight 2p tent yesterday at a local place for half price, $125. Following your suggestion Lee, the salesperson was happy to set it up for me in the store. I of course had to follow up by setting it up in my house once home. Super simple and reasonably light, came with a footprint.
    https://www.marmot.com/limelight-2p/27930.html

I ordered a while ago a Marmot sleeping bag from REI on closeout, making a little headway. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Grumpy Goat and ray2 like this.
  11. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Looks good. Marmot makes good gear. Our down bags are Marmot.

Bub likes this.