No customization options are available.

Rack for Givi Monokey topbox Prototype done.

Discussion in 'Parts & Accessories' started by Bacaruda, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Bacaruda

Bacaruda Active Member Contributor

Got the prototype for the Givi Monokey top box plate from my manufacturer and it looks pretty good.
    As for looks, I gave the prototype the intended outer dimensions but without the fancy parts, mainly for testing of fit and function. The prototype got 3 hole patterns and elongated slots for the rear box mount to allow testing of different positions of the box.
    Have it currently mounted in the far back position. This position is approx 10 mm further back than the currently available Givi Sra 5117 adapterplate and the wife felt that she’s got enough room but it’s not oceans of space behind her. (She’s not a tiny girl). I will do another set of fastening holes 10 mm further to the rear just to see how it turns out.
    All in all, it’s rock solid and the mounting of the box feels very secure. The box fittings are SW-Motech,

So after next week it’s time to order the first batch of 6 plates with all the fancy fillets, chamfers and recesses. Will do a test with glass blasting one of the sides before powdercoating it black to see how the surface turns out. full side.jpg rack close 1.jpg

The Givi V47 top box blends in really well with the design of the RS. Almost look OEM.

Those who are interested in a plate with or without the Monokey adapter fittings, send me a message and I will get back with a price as soon as I have all the numbers from the vendors.

Attached Files:

lacemi, slowpoke and Phil Bennetto like this.
  2. BobW

BobW Active Member

Definitely interested with monokey adapted .

3. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Bacaruda - could you share a picture from the underside of the bike's rear rack? I need to see how it is attached.

Agreed on the V47 - that is the one I have and I bought it for the way it would look on the Granite Grey.

4. Barnesyboy

Barnesyboy Active Member

I'm interested in one with the monokey fittings. Ta.

5. Bacaruda

Here you go, The plate replaces the bmw oem rack and is mounted in the same 6 threaded holes. The 2 rear bolts needed spacers. On the production plate, the 2 bolts holding the box lock block will be countersunk in the plate so that the don't extrude on the bottom side.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    lacemi likes this.
  6. Grumpy Goat

Thanks. With mods I like to see actual photos from all angles which fully describe every aspect, e.g. the spacers are now revealed. Why are they needed?

7. BobW

BobW Active Member

Bacaruda,
    Impressed , definitely would like to purchase .

Bacaruda likes this.
  8. Bacaruda

The 6 points that makes up the fastening points for the rack isn't in one plane, they are slightly offset from each other. I meassured up the difference between the fastening points and compensates with a washer on the front outer bolts and the shown distances at the rear. To do the rack without distances from a single piece of aluminium would require alot of milling to a much higher cost. As soon as the beta version is manufactured and powdercoated I will do a full set of pictures of it.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  9. Bacaruda

Thanks Bob. Glad you like it. My buddy with a R1200R came by today and gave me thumbs up. He will test the prototype on his bike next week.

10. BobW

BobW Active Member

Bacaruda, I 'll just keeping watching out for developments on the thread. Please don't hesitate to send a personal message , if you think I haven't responded. I travel a lot and not always monitoring the Forum.

11. mginbend

mginbend New Member

Please forgive my naivete about this as I have some basic questions. I am in the process of purchasing a new R1200RS and also want to install a larger top case than BMW offers. I also like the look and the size of the Givi V47 for this bike. I am wondering what the specific advantages are for your custom plate over the Givi Sra 5117 adapterplate. I see in your post that one advantage is that you are able to move the top case back. While I am not so concerned about doing that, I am wondering about the weight constraints. BMW has a pretty low rating of about 5 kg for the weight on their rack and their top case and Givi, I believe, has similar low ratings although they acknowledge that riders often exceed those ratings successfully. Is your plate also superior to the Givi in weight bearing capabilities? I guess the main thing I'm curious about is have you designed your own plate due to inadequacies in the 5117 and what those would be. Thanks!

12. Grumpy Goat

Thanks for the reply.

13. Grumpy Goat

mginbend - I suspect that the limit on the weight of the top box and contents have nothing to do with the plate bearing strength, but is probably based on 2 things - (1) heavy load placed high up and aft, and the effect on directional stability of the bike, and (2) tear-out strength of the fasteners to whatever rack is there.

My Givi V47 Tech also has a speed rating (80 mph) since increased wind and other dynamic loading increase the effects I mentioned above.

14. 4wayshare

4wayshare New Member

Yes please to one of these. They look great!

15. Bacaruda

I would say that it's a combination of function and appearance. I like the look and shape of the BMW OEM rack, that I think fits the design of the R and RS well. I can't say the same of the Givi SRA 5117 that i feel would fit better on an adventure style bike with its bended aluminum plate construction. For me personaly, i wan't something more "sporty" than "rugged". Also i don't like the idea having 2 pieces of equipment doing the same work. A rack mounted on top of another rack cant be the optimal sollution. I wanted a stable platform but with a look more in line with the style of the bike.
    As for function: As the SRA 5117 is an adapter mounted on top of the BMW OEM rack, it ends up 10-12 mm higher than necessary. and in my view doesn't make enough room. I want the bike to be a good 2 up tourer and need the space for pilot and co-pilot to be roomy enough. After reading about the SRA 5117 i understood that there could be improvement in that department so I was looking at a box position between 20-25 mm further back compared to SRA 5117, On the prototype it's 10 mm further back, but we have concluded that's not enough. another 12-15 mm is desirable. As for the low load rating. The BMW rack is designed for a 30 lit top box and the rack is all plastic construction. Why it's so low for the SRA 5117 (I believe it is 6kg) i agree with Mr Grumpy goat on both points. I would say that putting a 8mm Aluminium 7075-T5 directly on top of the rackholder (my sollution) instead of going through the OEM rack + long spacers won't make it less able to carry load. If the added passenger space isn't needed, a more forward set of holes can be added so that the box can be mounted in eighter position.

16. BobW

BobW Active Member

Bacaruda , great explanation and totally in agreement about one rack mounted on another and the looks of the SRA 5117. Still waiting patiently for when one comes available.

17. Bacaruda

Thx Bob. update on the progress: I will send the revised drawings and STEP-files to the vendor tomorrow. They will do the manufacturing of the first 6 racks in the beginning of week 18. The prototype will get a powdercoating done this week for evaluation. So it's getting close.

18. paulb64

paulb64 Member

I too am following this thread with interest - I bought the RS to use as a pillion/touring bike as well so whilst the Givi plate improves options on top boxes, the location is not ideal. The possibility of a bit extra space and a neater installation are both appealing.

19. mginbend

mginbend New Member

Thank you for your detailed and thoughtful reply to my questions! Since my initial post I have been able to view the 5117 and your mounting plate online and I agree that yours looks really nice and well engineered. I will be checking in to see pricing and availability on the final design.

20. Bacaruda

So Ball is rolling with STEP-files send to vendor. Powdercoating of the prototype in the end of this week (matt, sligthly structured black) as soon as I get it back from glass blasting.
    The outer shape got slightly revised compared to the prototype. Front "wings" slightly cutted (material didn't do any good out there, just adding weigth) and the rear stetched to allow for the rear box fitting to be moved another 12 mm. So the final position compared to 5117 is ca. 22 mm further to the rear. (the red is the prototype, grey is the beta-serie) A second hole pattern, 17 mm forward of the primary will be prepared from the bottom, not extruding through the top surface. (for people more streamlined than me and my lady that doesnt need so much extra space or rides mainly solo ). Will be very interesting to see how the powdercoating turns out. prototype vs prod 1 coloured.JPG Monokeyrack prod 1.JPG Monokeyrack prod 2.JPG Monokeyrack bottom.JPG prototype vs prod 1.JPG prototype vs prod 1 coloured bottom.JPG

lacemi and shanco like this.