No customization options are available.

R1200RS vs R1200GS - What to choose & my background

Discussion in 'R1200RS Versus The Competition' started by bagel cafe, Apr 22, 2017.

1. runnerhiker

runnerhiker Well-Known Member Contributor

I saw a TFT screen on a GS at my dealership, I loved it, I would pay for it.

2. Seekerofme

Seekerofme New Member

At 42 my kids were over 18 and it was time to get back on 2 wheels after a 20 year layoff. I got a 2001 Triumph Sprit ST for a good price. After I realized yes this is something I'm going to do for a while I started looking at BMW. I wanted a performance type bike touring bike. The Blue RS turned me on. Bought it loved it. The handling, the torque, the style, and touring ability. I loved it! Rode 7000 miles in 3 months and joined this forum .
    Woke up from a dream of dirt roads and then a week or so later another dream of dirt roads and trails. After the dreams I traded the Beautiful Blue RS in on a GSA low suspension. I got the low suspension due to my 31" inseam not because they said it handled better than the regular GSA. I like the upright position, the off road capacity, and more than all day comfort. I live in western North Carolina and we have plenty of dirt roads and trails around here.
    For me the GSA was the way to go. Over 23,000 miles later I couldn't be happier. As far as sporty-ness, I probably ride the GSA as fast as I could the RS.

Scorch, duccrazydave and Grumpy Goat like this.
  3. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Well-Known Member

I've been staring at this since November. I couldn't resist another single day.
    2018 GS Adventure with low suspension and TFT.
    20180323_110428.jpg

4. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

That is one ugly piece of scaffolding. :(

5. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Wow ... congratulations! But why the low suspension? You're taller than I so a normal seat should be OK ..?

Do you still have the RS and the KTM?

6. MrVvrroomm

Still have RS, traded KTM. I am more comfortable with the low suspension. I don't do off-road.

Vtbob and Grumpy Goat like this.
  7. Grumpy Goat

Yes the low suspension is very comfortable for my height too, although I had no trouble with a normal height GS I test rode last year.

8. MrVvrroomm

Low GSA is about same height at standard GS.

9. Grumpy Goat

Didn't know there was a difference between the normal seat heights. Thanks.

10. runnerhiker

runnerhiker Well-Known Member Contributor

The difference is in the amount of suspension travel. GSA has the most suspension travel and it is the tallest GS, GS is medium, low GS is least. I had a standard GS, then sat on a low GS at the dealer and liked that a lot.

MrV, are you bringing the GSA to Arkansas?

11. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

He can't - unless he wants to again be an asterisk to his wife's name.

Spoked wheels? In this modern era, I don't understand the purpose and they certainly don't match the technology of the TFT, which, as I read it, was the whole purpose for buying the bike....

Or am I reading too much into an entirely rational decision to simply upgrade the working museum housed in your garage. I mean - Oscarguitar's aesthetic observation aside - this should look good next to the scooter or snowblower.

Recommendation - since you gave up your role as snowmobile royalty, try spiked tires and time on the GSA next winter.

12. MrVvrroomm

Will be riding the RS to our rally. It'll be my first long ride on it.

I would love to have been able to pick the option of cast wheels vs. spoked. This bike will never go off-road.

Vtbob and ray2 like this.
  13. Milo

Milo Member

Everyone has different opinions but mine on the GS and especially GSA's is they are pretty homely motorcycles not to mention un-aerodynamic. BUT they really work well for traveling on all types of roads. If I were to have only one motorcycle a GS would be on my very short list simply because it handles almost like a sport bike, tours long distance on paved roads almost like an RT, yet when the road becomes potholed, bumpy, or turns to gravel it's still in it's element.
    I end up riding on gravel/dirt roads fairly often (hell I live on one) just because I find them fun and interesting so I wouldn't have traded my 2014 GSA on an RS if not for the fact I already have a Honda AT. I haven't done so yet but the RS seems like it'll be fine on dirt/gravel roads too.... just have to slow down on them.
    Aren't choices great?

duccrazydave likes this.
  14. MrVvrroomm

Picked her up yesterday.

Attached Files:

15. Milo

Milo Member

Congratulations! Great motorcycle and with the fancy dancy display too. :D

What are you doing for side cases?

16. MrVvrroomm

I am not an off road guy. This is a street bike for me. I removed the oem side case hardware and replaced it with Givi Monokey sides and top attachments.
    I've got an old set of Givi E41's I'll be using for side cases when I travel. Otherwise I'll just be using a Givi 52 liter top case.

17. Milo

Milo Member

I see.

18. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

Nice - agree - the display makes it a righteous purchase.
    So which bike goes to Europe - or will the boss let you get one more with an SI (km) display to keep there?

MrVvrroomm likes this.