No customization options are available.

R1200RS vs R1200GS - What to choose & my background

Discussion in 'R1200RS Versus The Competition' started by bagel cafe, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank Contributor

And just when things were rubbing along nicely the voice of reason rears it's ugly head:)

2. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

I went from a 1999 CBR600FX (last of the carbed versions) to an R1150GS in 2001. I was 38 years old. I kept that GS for over a decade until going to a XT1200Z Super Tenere then FJ09 as you call them. Still have the FJ and have had a R1200RS since last autumn. I bought the CBR after owning a TDM850 for a few years. I never really gelled with the I4, preferring the stonking torque you get with big twins and triples.

Ignore all the ageism and other stereotyping. Only you know what floats your boat. I have kept the Tracer/FJ to use for commuting as it is a cheap bike to rack up miles on. A 2nd, cheap commuter might be a consideration for you - a CBR600 will be quite expensive as a commuter unless you use sport touring tyres, which then compromises its performance on weekends when you want sticky rubber.

Go test some more bikes. Look at the Yamaha range - the MT07/09/10 range as we call them (you have FZ & FJ) are pretty good. A new FZ10 would leave you change to buy a FZ07 for commuting compared to buying a new R1200xx

However, if you finally conclude that the R1200xx is for you then be comfortable with that decision.

Oh, and please post a picture of yourself as I only see pictures of crusty old things like Bravo on this forum.

Scorch and Grumpy Goat like this.
  3. bagel cafe

bagel cafe New Member

Thank you mr. Goat! I have actually been poking around the forums for some time and have seen your videos :] thanks for taking your time to upload videos on your RS

This is exactly how I came to my conclusion and will continue to have this attitude :)

Whatever is on there now (I'm no tire expert) has lasted 10k miles and appears its got a few thousand more in its treads. So I've yet to spend over $100 on a single service
    and would say it's fairly economical to maintain.

I definitely considered other economical bikes such as the Yamaha's and also more hipster street cred kings of the nakeds.
    Still I got the BMW bug ... and I know when I wake up on a Monday having to ride yet another Japanese machine for financial reasons, I will smack myself upside the head

I'm pretty jelly that many of you folks are at a stage where having multiple bikes is an option :eek: If that were my case,
    the CBR would definitely stay

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  4. bagel cafe

bagel cafe New Member

The rallye is pretty close ;)

[​IMG]

Bart likes this.
  5. runnerhiker

runnerhiker Well-Known Member Contributor

I had an RS and a GS simultaneously for 1.5 years. I traded in the GS a month ago. These two bikes are very similar and the differences can be easily identified on the showroom floor and a demo ride. The only thing you and others have not mentioned is to look at a "low" GS, this model has identical ergo to regular GS but it has less suspension travel and sits lower. This might be your bike!

6. Bravo

Oh, and please post a picture of yourself as I only see pictures of crusty old things like Bravo on this forum.[/QUOTE]
    Darling this makes me feel sad in so many ways,I only said nice things about you.:(

7. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

Aww, are you jealous some young buck has piqued my interest? He's 7000 miles away so keep trying...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    Bravo likes this.
  8. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

At 25 you are just getting started and have many years of biking ahead of you. Non of us can recommend what is best for you.

The GS are great bikes....and are fashionable and VERY popular. That is likely the safest choice...especially with peer pressure and from your significant other. There are many clones Ducati, KTM are most notable.

The RS is a niche bike.....sort of like fine Scotch (note I did not say wine). From this blog you can see many of us RS rider have had many bikes, some still have several, and are a bit long of tooth. Seasoned riders who pretty much know what they like. I like brisk twisty rides and long distance rides. I suspect most of us have or have had GSs.

You have ridden both the GS and RS.....but the one that makes you smile the most. You'll have plenty of time try something different in the future.

9. Bravo

You may have noticed I can be very trying;)

10. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Hey if you can stand the looks of the GS then I see no reason why not to get one.

Personally that's the only reason I don't really care for one and wouldn't buy it.

And forget the silly age nonsense. I wish I did and that I was "old" years ago then I would have bought a BMW K1300S when they first came out and been much happier for it.

Forget everyone else for that matter and buy the one that ticks all the boxes for YOU.

I'm 34 by the way and one of the youngest members here, if that matters.

Maybe worth a look would be the S1000XR as a compromise between both worlds? I didn't personally enjoy the engine in that kind of chassis and the cable clutch is just ridiculous, but you might feel otherwise.

bagel cafe likes this.
  11. daesimps

daesimps Member

Ignore the age and looks comments that some people may make. It's your bike, for you to ride. Go with what makes you happy.

With regards to age though, I got my first GS at 30. Since then I've had an RT, another GS and picked up my RS 2 days ago.

The GS is a fantastic bike and handles really well. It's great for touring. I only got the RS as I thought I fancied a change. I'd buy another GS though if I don't get on well with the RS. I love that with BMW you choose the engine and then the bike to go around it. The boxer just works for me.

My wife has the R1200R and was just looking at changing for a new bike. She discounted all other bikes she came across as she thought every one of them meant compromising over her current bike. She's decided to keep the current bike as this year BMW have swapped the red frame for blue and it's bloody horrible. She loves the bike though. Great for playing around, but also fantastic when we do 2k miles in a week or two on our tours.

bagel cafe likes this.
  12. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

I think I'd be looking for another crotch rocket...

Bravo likes this.
  13. Bart

Bart Member

Looks like the fastest :)

Bravo likes this.
  14. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

Get yourself a S1000rr or a Panigale......or an RnineT

15. bagel cafe

bagel cafe New Member

I've considered all of those variants (mainly S1000R), but I know for sure that I don't want another
    sportbike or a naked bike at this point. I'd love to own them as second bikes if you'd like to donate to the cause :)

Frankly I'm 90% sure that my next purchase will be the RS. But if I go to the dealer and the GS tugs me the right way, why the hell not!

Will be checking back here with an update in a month or two. Hope to join the family here you all are very nice

16. bagel cafe

bagel cafe New Member

Great to hear, and thanks for sharing! congrats on owning both of my dream machines :D

17. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

And that right there is the take away from all this chatting.

If either was a "poster on the wall" bike then either will make you very very happy.

18. asparaguspee

asparaguspee New Member

I googled R1200RS vs R1200GS and came across this thread, signed up just to ask what did you end up buying?

I'm in the same boat. Love both these bikes. I currently have a 2015 S1000RR and a 2016 Aprilia Tuono. Don't really need another bike but I'm lusting after another BMW.

19. LQB1

LQB1 Member

Good suggestion! I rode the GS for 6 days, then rode the RS for a few hours and bought the RS. The GS was great and very maneuverable for its weight, but in comparison I preferred the riding position of the RS, the tightness of the front end and its stability. When you test ride the RS again, put it in Dynamic mode, both damping and riding mode, and find some nice turns!

Bart likes this.
  20. littleade

littleade Member

As some will have seen I already have a GS (the lowered one) and am considering a switch to scratch my itch. You really need to test them both back to back BC and try and replicate the type of riding you'll be doing over similar type roads. BMW dealers are very good and you should have no problem being able to have both for a couple of hours. If you can do this in the week when the dealer is quieter you'll stand more chance of getting decent test rides, plus if most of your riding is commuting you may be able to replicate the traffic conditions too. Do you filter between traffic in the US? if so the mirrors and wide bars on the GS might cause you problems getting past SUVs - it's certainly a lot wider than your Honda, so you'd need to check that out! It may affect your decision but IMO the standard cockpit on the GS is outdated and the speedometer hard to read at times so you'd 'need' the TFT screen which in the UK costs an additional £600. Cost wise the difference between the 2 equivelent models Sport SE and GS TE is £2500 in the UK if you get the TFT screen so this might be important? If you get the same tyres on the GS in the US they will be the Anakee 3's which are ok but the Tourance Nexts are far better (just fitted some 1000 miles ago) or if you want 100% road tyres the Roadtech 01s are a good choice. Good luck with your search.;)