No customization options are available.

R1200RS vs R1200GS - What to choose & my background

Discussion in 'R1200RS Versus The Competition' started by bagel cafe, Apr 22, 2017.

1. bagel cafe

bagel cafe New Member

Hi everyone!

I want first introduce myself and give you a bit of a background on my moto-history then jump in to my dilemma. I'm 25 years old and I have put about 10k miles in the past 2 years commuting in California freeway traffic on my trusty Honda 600cc supersport. Its been a good run but as you may know crotchrockets are by no means a good commuter :). On a search for a new bike I pondered across the BMW lineup and became dead set on purchasing one.

It took me many months to narrow down my choices within the lineup and I came to the following conclusions:
    1. Keep my love for the sports bike alive
    2. Get something more comfortable
    3. Get the one that I will keep for a long time and travel everywhere with it

Hence, here I am on the RS forums!
    Now if only the heart is as easy to understand as logic..

Few days ago I test rode the GS by happenchance and I couldn't stop thinking about it since. So much so that I'm sure it was a mistake to take it out for a spin (and join the ranks of riders twice my age). Since then I watched too many videos of the GS; imagining myself in the forests and desert lands that the "typical" GS riders seem to enjoy. But let's face it.. 99% of the time, bike will live on asphalt, right?!

Before you ask, yes I have test ridden the RS and it was quite enjoyable. However the difference between the RS and my Honda was so great that I didn't quite have the time to appreciate what I was riding. Only the thoughts of "wow" and "don't drop it!" was in my head.

Here are my personal R1200GS and R1200RS highlights from my experience and perspective based on the two short demos:

GS
    * Love the purposeful looks - like something you might find roaming on Mars
    * Not as big as I thought it was, or many make it out to be
    * 70 mph feels like 40 mph
    * That feeling that I might not quite look "right" (it felt right..)
    * Where the heck is the ground?

RS
    * Great exhaust note
    * Familiar riding position
    * Pants were absolutely glued to the seat
    * Wasn't particularly moved by its style or purpose

At the end of the day, the demos really opened my eyes to how great my ride is:

CBR600rr
    * It's mine, it's cheap, and it's amazing
    * Analog everything
    * Crispy throttle and shifting
    * The psycho girlfriend that tries to kill me in heat, rain, and misuse
    * It's what I'm supposed to ride at my age

I hope you have some words of wisdom or tales to tell or at least enjoyed the read!

- bagel

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  2. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

Mate you're 25 years of age and you're after an RS? You should be buying the fastest most powerful race rep you can afford,getting a really hot girl who's about 4 foot 11 and weighs about 7 stone. She must have long legs and look good in tight black leather,so as you blast pass old duffers like us we can mumble to ourselves "Oh nice arse" or make jokes about her knees being up round her ears;). Yes you're a young man,enjoy your youth,before you know it you'll be pushing 50 and that slim little sex pot will be gaining a little weight, her libido will be waining,she'll be more interested in soap operas than dragging you off to the bath for a soapy tit wank:(.Then and only then should you consider a boxer twin......... . Or you could get the RS it's a great bike.
    Hope this helps:)

littleade, LQB1, TimMc and 7 others like this.
  3. bagel cafe

bagel cafe New Member

My 5' 3'' hot girl with medium legs once described the RS as a "wifey bike", looked coyly at me and said "that is what you want, right?" :D
    she doesn't know a darned thing about motorcycles and said the RS looks like it will always be there for you no matter what. I think my tit wank days are already over

Scorch and Grumpy Goat like this.
  4. Bravo

I'm so sorry to hear that (tit wank days),on the other hand I feel much better;)
    All joking aside,if your good lady likes the RS you're already halfway there.... A happy wife mean a happy life.
    The RS is a fantastic bike,I know I'm biased but it's the best bike I've ever ridden. It don't matter what colour you buy,I test rode a grey one for a weekend and was blown away by it,it was very nearly as fast and light as the Lupin I bought.
    Don't buy a GS the forum is full of gays apparently (not that I'm homophobic) but we've got our own one and he's very special to us.

5. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

Like he said....
    Unless you're commuting 100 miles both ways on twisty roads, little reason for a heavy bike like the RS.
    On the other hand, if you only have room in the stable for one bike and not a lot of time for wrenching and maintenance, this one is one of the better all-rounders. Load it up and run across the country. Throw on some dual sport tires and hit the Pacific Crest fire roads. Take it to track days.
    But then again, at your age, why would you want a bike that you're gonna be stuck with for the next 20 years before it finally breaks down and there are irreconcilable differences and it gives you an excuse to move on.
    But then again, it holds resale value, so you can always trade in for the new Suzuki GSX 1000, when next year, you realize your mistake.
    But then again, if your pillion is looking for some symbol of maturity....
    But then again....

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    Scorch, bagel cafe and Bravo like this.
  6. Bravo

@ray2
    Let me guess.. ....... You used to be indecisive but you're not sure now;)

ray2 likes this.
  7. bagel cafe

bagel cafe New Member

And since I've not yet married, a happy life comes with a new bike
    These comparison posts always turn out to be a can of worms :) but for anyone interested my commute is 50 miles round trip with speeds averaging 35 mph on highways

8. Bravo

Not married yet........ Not married YET.:)
    The RS is good in traffic,well balanced and easy to manage as you scoot between the rows of traffic,much easier than my old K13. It's your money mate so it's your choice,you're really leaning against an open door asking what bike on here,I reckon 99% us will say RS. Have you asked the same question on the GS forum?

9. bagel cafe

bagel cafe New Member

Great idea, let's see what happens... stay tuned! (P.S. I usually attract gay men, so may not come back)

Scorch, ray2 and Bravo like this.
  10. Bravo

Me too,we can't help it,just a cross we have to bare.:)
    Regarding the GS I reckon 99% them will say GS,they tend to look down their noses at lesser mortals like us,even though I'm sure they secretly hanker for a RS.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  11. bagel cafe

bagel cafe New Member

12. Bravo

Ooooooo, you've mentioned the RS on there,they're not as tolerant as we are,I can hear the cupboards being opened and the voodoo dolls coming out,the internet is alive with calls for a fatwa to be taken out on you,in certain quarters there are GS owners already burning effigies of you. I've enjoyed chatting on here with you fella,been nice getting to know you. You'll be missed.:(

13. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

If you don't see the GS as horrendous looking and you don't mind the high swing to mount it, buy it.

BMW sells thousands of them for a reason.

IMO there must be so many blind riders who like to practice lifting a leg like a dog out there, I am not one of them.

Jim Evans and SauRoN like this.
  14. bagel cafe

bagel cafe New Member

check and check! The rugged duckling look does grow on me everytime I look at its photos

15. ArtW

ArtW New Member

I go with Bravo. At 25, if you want to pretend to be a rugged off road man, but actually rarely go on a dirt road, buy a KTM: it is much more exciting than a GS. If you want the long suspension and tall riding position but will never go off road, but a Triumph Tiger Sport or a BMW R1000XR. If you want a sports tourer, but a Kawasaki 1000SX or a Suzuki GSX1000FA. If you want to feel sixty years old early in life, buy a BMW Boxer. Thats going to make me popular, but tis true.

ray2 likes this.
  16. Bravo

I deny all knowledge of that. He must've slipped something in my drink:eek:

17. bagel cafe

bagel cafe New Member

I have to disagree there and say that is mostly a stereotype that I don't care much for.
    The boxers I have tested are the nine T, GS, and the RS - all of which made me feel more alive :)
    I'm well aware of the "excitement" of inline 4's which people seem to believe 20 somefings crave all the time, but that's not true in this case

stuart2820 likes this.
  18. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

What a beautiful, well written post and from a young pup too. :D Well done and welcome to the forum!

I am a little older than you but nevertheless like the idea of the CBR600RR (or maybe naked versions of the liter-bikes from the land of the rising sun) and can understand where you are coming from. However I was surprised o read that you are interested in the BMW boxers, which are typically bikes that younger (and younger at heart) folk mature into. :)

I too like sport bikes and that is why I have an RS since I can only afford 1 bike and like you over 99% of my riding is on roads. However logic suggests that the GS is the best compromise for me, for many of the same reasons you mentioned. So I got an opportunity about a month ago to finally try a GS and I did enjoy it a lot BUT when I got back on the RS, as is typically the case, I got a big smile and fully appreciated why I bought an RS in the first place. Have a look at the video.

The RS is no CBR600RR so don't expect it to behave the same. The RS is a sporty sport-tourer and when you are pulling back to back 500 mile days on the highway alongside trucks, big rigs, cars and other cagers you'll appreciate the directional stability that the RS platform brings. Because of that it will give up the edge to the little bikes like the CBR and that is OK too, because it is no slouch in the corners. Then there is the engine rpm at cruising speeds - 75 mph and 6000 rpm with a whine that causes me to reach for 8th gear gets old in like 15 seconds but then I can be grumpy. ;)

Lots to read on this forum, so spend the time before you decide. Now if you can keep the CBR and get the BMW as a second bike, then the GS would be a great option.

DonT45RS and bagel cafe like this.
  19. Hugh

Hugh Member

What about a Ducati Monster? Lot's of credibility there when you are 25.

20. Bart

Bart Member

Well, it's simple...... Test-ride again but in opposite order. Ride the GS first, then ride the RS. Then make your list again. If the outcome is the same, buy the GS. Don't bother about age, follow your heart. I can tell you, I envy you for being able to afford such a bike at your age. Enjoy it! If you put Michelin Pilot Road 4's or Metzeler Roadtec 01's on the wheels, you'll have a bike with fantastic handling wet and dry either way. There's only one problem.... There is no lupin blue GS (as far as I know). But the RS is faster anyway ;-)

bagel cafe likes this.