No customization options are available.

R1200RS vs. (all the bikes I've had before)

Discussion in 'R1200RS Versus The Competition' started by Ben Russo, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

I managed to get the R1200R seat which is fine for me as I am only 5 '5".The Screen is perfect, all I hear is the exhaust note. Still haven't worked out the Pro shift from 1st to 2nd.Otherwise love it.

2. Kyriv

Kyriv Active Member

My dealer let me swap out the stock RS seat with the stock R seat!

I feel like I'm more IN the bike instead of ON the bike. Feels like I have more leverage on the bars.

Now if we could only get GP shift...

3. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

Bikes, I've had a few, but then again the R1200RS is definitely the best of the lot. Yeah, it's got faults, but all the great bikes do.

Leon.P. likes this.
  4. Nomad5326

Nomad5326 Member Contributor

New R1200RS rider here. Been riding since 13 but mostly dirt bikes, dual sports with only a Suzuki GSXR or two in the mix over the last 30 years. My current bikes have been BMW F650GS Dakar bikes w/completely aftermarket suspensions set up for dirt. Just picked up my bike this weekend and rode from San Jose, California back to San Diego, California in two days (509 miles planned for a 1-day trip but changed due to late start so +/- 250 miles each day). Out of the box, I love the engine. I've ridden the Boxer engine in all forms from auto's to motorcycles and even the R9T and newer GS. I cannot help but to love how this engine dances different w/a different dress on. Awesome handling, very low centered, quick off the line and very quick from 55mph and up to 100mph for passing. Not too happy w/the display, would have rather seen the R1200GS or s1000rr display here. Mine had side cases but understand they are not standard (why BMW). Shifting is excellent esp once you figure out the direct shift. I would have rather had the ability to have aftermarket bars on to play with but understand the R-Bars may be the answer (still too much pressure on my palms but that may just be because I'm not used to the riding position coming in from dual-sport). Going to buy a Vortex GPS mount to move the GPS above gauges and possibly a hugger eventually. Overall, I have fallen in love with the bike, its engine for sure and wish BMW would market it more. Looked at the XR and this was still my choice. Cheers!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    Graham Lewis and Leon.P. like this.
  5. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

Compared to all the other bikes I've owned? Simply the best. And I've owned a lot in 55 years' riding. Mind you, some of them (BSA C11G, Bantam, Velocette LE, Honda 90 for a few) didn't really compare!

Leon.P., Nomad5326, Dan smith and 3 others like this.
  6. Dan smith

Dan smith Active Member

One of my favorites.I bought a used Yamaha 175 enduro ,back then it started out as a street legal enduro , think it was a 1970 green tank .It was already set up , for full dirt ,had a 21 on the front, carb was changed from a 26 to a 30 mm mikuni carb ,man that thing was sweet, The right blend of power and it was light and nimble. Read some article in dirt bike magazine how to make it run like a 250 ,sent the cyl out for porting to Los Angeles, got the special pipe for it and so on . Dam thing ran like a rocket when you revved it up ,scared me every time I got on it. But it could not climb a hill ,unless on full throttle. I ruined it . Young and stupid I guess about 16 sold it . Bought a Suzuki TM400 cyclone death machine.thats another story :)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  7. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Ah, yes. Wisdom comes in its own good time.

Dan smith likes this.
  8. Dan smith

Dan smith Active Member

Where did your avatar come from ? Some one whacked your rear end dude ?

9. James Herne

James Herne New Member

10. Dan smith

Dan smith Active Member

Me in may repair shop ,now rented to a auto trans rebuilder . Pic is me Doing a static spin balance on my new Michelin pilot power 3 ,for front , came out great , the rear hub hole is to for large manual static , I mounted it on my snap on manual spin computer spin balancer , to do pilot road 4 rear , it sets up like a car wheel. R&R tires with my corghi rim clamp machine

shorn sheep likes this.
  11. Michael James

Michael James New Member

I Demo the R1200 RS with low seat two weeks ago at Daytona. I have a 30" inseam and the low seat was perfectly comfy and both feet flat! It was a great Demo and now researching my new Bike! You'll like the low seat.

littleade likes this.