No customization options are available.

R1200RS vs. (all the bikes I've had before)

Discussion in 'R1200RS Versus The Competition' started by Ben Russo, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

Hi....sorry but different Motorad sites on different continents.
    Motorad US site:
    Option 1 Sport Height 33 inches This seat is quite narrow
    Option 2 High Height 32.3 inches
    Option 3 Height 31.1 inches
    Option 4 Low Height 29.9 inches

I have the option 2, Here in the US the R bikes seems to be coming thru with the Low seat standard.

2. Woodleg

Woodleg Member

Ok VtBob. As we say in Spain... same dog with different collar (literal translation...:D).
    I mean... the options are the same but with a different name.

3. Rebel13

Rebel13 Active Member

Thank very much guys. I'll stick with the standard seat for now for the reasons you mentioned and I could always get a lower seat later.

4. Leen

Leen New Member

I bought it new in 2008, so it's the forelast model. No problem with my knees and also no problem after 'normal' trips, but my neck do/did hurt after a (very) long trip.

5. Boxerboy55

Boxerboy55 Well-Known Member

That kind of dealer talk is just bollox.

I think you will be too low with cramped bent knees if you use a low seat.

I'm 5'8" with a 31 inside leg (sorry inseam) and my feet are flat on the floor. My old knees are sensitive and I'm considering a high seat to increase the ass to peg distance for a less cramped sitting position at the expense of tiptoes at a standstill and a bit more weight on the hands at slow speed. Have to try it and see.
    As standard it's all pretty good, but I think it might be better.

I find the screen OK on the high screw holes. Then low position when it's hot for more breeze and high when it's cooler. Airflow and noise seem OK. but I do wear moulded ear plugs too.

6. Rocky R

Rocky R Active Member

I'm 5'8" and a half. I can just barely flat foot on the bike, but I find the reach to the bars about as far forward as I care for. Lowering the seat might make that reach even farther. Also, a lower seat height won't change the geometry of the bike, but it will change your your angle of reach in relation to the bars and levers, which may or may not be a problem. Also, I'm sure adjustable pegs in relation to height either already exist or will be available soon. Finally, a lower seat height may also be a negative when it comes to viewing your displays. Just my two cents...

7. Darryl1200ST

Darryl1200ST New Member

Hello Lars...don't know how to change the flag!! However, very interested in hearing what you think as regards the comparison between the RS and the 1200ST [my current BM].

8. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Just had the 600mile service ( free as part of my deal) and now fitted the wunderlich rear hugger which will now offer some rear protection that should have been supplied from new?
    Agree with Lars, as still keeping my 2005 R1200ST, that they are very alike and my standard RS seat seems as comfortable as the ST in it's high setting. Also finding that either my body is getting used to the seat or the padding has settled down and although miles travelled have been low during running in/break in I have spent over 3 hours at a time with no stops and without any problems.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  9. lars Ormvold

lars Ormvold Active Member

Have to agree with Dave, I had my ST from buying it new in 2006 until last autumn driven 60.000km, sold after I ordered the RS. I have the highest seat on the RS and had the seat in highest position on the ST. I am 1,82 tall and find the riding position on the RS more comfortable than it was on the ST. Personally I like to get off the bike after 1-1,5 hours and have no problems riding 3-4-500 km throughout a day.

Rebel13 likes this.
  10. Rebel13

Rebel13 Active Member

I agree with all comments about the lower seat. I have found the standard seat comfortable and fitting a lower seat would cramp my leg position and I feel that it would stretch my reach even further.
    Just like Rocky R, I also can almost flat foot, which is just fine for me.
    I may look at a set of Bar raisers which I think will complete the package.

11. lars Ormvold

lars Ormvold Active Member

. . . . and to be even more precise about riding distances; during our summer trip to Northern parts of Norway (total 4160km) the longest driven in a day was 660km and I was not tired at all.

12. Kyriv

Kyriv Active Member

Mine came with option 3. IIRC that's the stock height for the RS. The R comes with option 3 standard. If you lower the seat, it's effectively the same as raising the bars.

I've only a 28" inseam and would love to swap to a lower seat, but not the low seat.I like the reach but need more drop and pull back angle, also.

13. Darryl1200ST

Darryl1200ST New Member

Had a test ride yesterday on the RS....a good long ride [about an hour], with some highway road and lots of twisty, bumpy back roads....bike went like a dream...throttle response was so quick compared to the R1200ST...felt quiet lethal at first!! Not sure about the bar position...quite like the lower position of the ST bars......found the digital readouts a little difficult to read ...bright sunlight and I was wearing sunglasses....bike was good on the tight, rough stuff....quite a bit different to the ST when the throttle is opened...the RS wants to leap out of its skin...and there is a very noticeable sideways torque [I guess too much throttle on my part]...the seat height ...I should have asked the dealer...found it too low....the indicator switch...such a small item, but what a wonderfully simple improvement...so did I have fun...and would I buy this bike...hopefully yes!

14. Caveman

Caveman Well-Known Member

I have the 32.3" inch seat (standard from what I was told as higher and lower were both options) and aside from wanting the pegs to bit a bit more set back and the bars a bit lower the bike's almost perfect for my 6' 34" inseam body. It's the only bike I've sat on stock that had ergos I like. After 400 miles the seat seems comfy enough. I know the wind protection could be better but I don't want a flying brick like the RT (no offense to RT owners, it's a fine bike), and would rather not have the looks ruined or a huge drag coefficient (or the impact of which) to contend with. I don't mind the wind hitting the top of my helmet, it's the chest and neck that bother me and cause fatigue. The smaller fairing keeps the weight down in front, which is important on a bigger bike, keeps the drag down, and ups the aesthetics. It's worth it to me to have a little head wind. No pun intended. A different helmet would help with that. Two weeks now and I'm convinced this is the best bike out there. For me at least.
    the 0-60 is sick, and I thought I would miss my Speed Triple R and Ninja 1000 (with custom mapping) that I used in the trade in. Has a better 0-60 than the Triumph and the Ninja. Handles sick for bike of that size and weight with no unwanted characteristics like dive or chasis upset when transitioning.

This is my first boxer and I have to say I love it. Having triples, I-4s and V-4s I thought this would bore me. Not a chance. Punchy, misbehaved yet predictable, and great character along with that low sonorous sound it gives off like being near the engines of a plane. I love it. It's almost too lulling :) Funny as there's allot about the boxer that reminds me of the parallel twin 800 I had in my GS. THis is my 15th bike and my easy favorite!

Hellmutt, Spiky and Richard230 like this.
  15. shootersteve77

shootersteve77 Active Member

You all know you can change the bars on the RS to the R bars. They fit without issue. I believe you just have to buy the bar and top clamps. At least that's what I was told by the BMW factory rep I met at bike show when it was released. A smart design. I guess they learned their lesson from the K1300S issues.

16. Ben Russo

Ben Russo Active Member

What were the issues with the K1300S?
    Was that the one with the two screws and the bars that were adjustable?

I don't believe that BMW wanted to make it easy.
    If they had, they would have used the same Triple Tree top bar mounting bolt holes as the R1200GS's...
    Then there would already have been a dozen different options for bar risers and bar backs.
    And they even made it harder by using the angled things that NOBODY had a solution ready for.

17. shootersteve77

shootersteve77 Active Member

After mentioning on a forum that I just never felt comfortable on that bike going slow and around parking lots, uneven terrain etc. Many people spoke up about the poor design of putting what are like clip-on bars on a large top heavy sport bike. Lot's of people love them and they are one of my favorite BMW's - if I was a bit younger and bigger, I'd probably still be riding it.

18. Hellmutt

Hellmutt Member

The legroom and reach are what concerns me in considering an RS. I'm of the same height and inseam as yourself, so this was helpful. Thanks

19. Caveman

Caveman Well-Known Member

No problem. The bike's tailor made for our dimensions.
    Are we related? :)

20. Hellmutt

Hellmutt Member

Seems like they are, I'll have to squat one to be certain but I'm liking what I see so far.
    And if we are related, I'd have to be your great-great-great-grandaddy LOL

Caveman likes this.