No customization options are available.

R1200RS vs. (all the bikes I've had before)

Discussion in 'R1200RS Versus The Competition' started by Ben Russo, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Ben Russo

Ben Russo Active Member

OK, so about me: http://r1200rsforums.com/threads/hello-my-name-is-ben-russo.72/

I test rode a 2016 BMW R1200RS yesterday. I've ridden more than 100,000 miles in my life.
    Although my joy-ride was less than 20 miles, here is what I thought:
    The riding position is more leaned forward than I expected. I thought it would be like the R1200R, but with a small fairing. It is more like a Honda F4i than a R1200R.
    The suspension is FANTASTIC! It doesn't dive under braking, or crouch/jack in hard accel.
    I have a 2006 R1200RT, in comparison, this bike has a super smooth transmission and clutch. NICE!
    The windshield is much smaller than I expected (aftermarket here I come).
    The clutchless shifting was very good.
    It has a lot of power compared to my 06 R1200RT. Very torquey, punchy and roars.
    I love the sound of the exhaust, it roars.

I'll be looking for barbacks or risers. This bike doesn't have a handle-bar like the R1200R, it has forged piece at the top of the triple-tree with short half bars fixed to it. But it looks like there are four bolts that hold the forged piece to the top of the triple-tree, so some spacers and longer bolts should do the trick, or replace the forged piece with a mount to put a standard bar in there.

I'll be looking for a taller windshield, & some hand grip shields.

There will be after market rearsets that will lower and move the pegs an inch or so forward and down. There is "linkage" to the brake and the shift mechanism. So easy to make replacement rear-sets.

The seat wasn't bad for 20 minutes.

2. Rocky R

Rocky R Active Member

The seat is kind of a big deal for me. Does the bike come with the "middle height" seat standard, or do you have to tell the dealer which you prefer. I have mine on order (waiting because I wanted the Ride Mode Pro) but don't recall discussing seat height at all.

3. Giles W

Giles W New Member

Hi. I have had a road test and I am 8' 6" with 29" inside leg. I have asked for the low seat option so that I can get both feet fully on the ground. I am also going to have the R 1200R bars fitted which I prefer for touring. I agree as standard the bars are too forward and low. My dealer says it is an easy option as the top yoke is identical on both the R & RS so they can be easily exchanged. Enjoy RSing!!

4. Ben Russo

Ben Russo Active Member

Damn! 8' 6" tall with a 29" inseam? You must look like Magilla Gorilla!
    [​IMG]

5. Giles W

Giles W New Member

Whoops!! Spotted my slip. I meant 5' 8'' (Damn keybpoards)

6. Scooter71

Scooter71 Member

I am 5'7" tall and a 29" inseam and mine came with the standard seat. I thought I needed the low seat but I am fine riding with the standard one. With both feet down I am planted about halfway so not flat footed but I am plenty comfortable with the height. The seat is as comfy as I have ever felt with a stock one so I won't be changing it. If and when bar risers become available I may do that because my neck has been getting sore with the somewhat forward position. I will wait to see if I adapt I only have 450 miles so far and I do feel that I may be adjusting. Like mentioned before a new bike takes time for adjustment. I do really love the bike & am looking for years of fun on it!!

7. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

Have to agree with Ben on most points, but I liked the forward lean. I found the riding position means a lot of weight is shared with your upper thighs rather than all being on your bum, and I liked that. Loved the transmission, shift assist, suspension (way more comfortable than my'09 RT on potholed roads) but found the wind protection pretty useless. And that rotten bar graph rev-counter! Rev-counters should be round and have needles!

8. Ben Russo

Ben Russo Active Member

BTW, my bike came with the middle seat. I have a 32" inseam, and can easily flatfoot the bike on both sides simultaneously and lift 99% of my body weight off the suspension. I could imagine that even if I had a 30" inseam I could do the same, but with more body weight on the seat.

9. Leen

Leen New Member

On my Honda VFR800 VTEC is the riding position more forward than on the R1200RS (I'm 6 feet 4) and that's the reason I ordered one... I rode about an hour on it. The riding position is comparable with the good old Suzuki Bandit. So that's good enough for me.
    Tip: you can check riding positions on cycle-ergo.com, a good site imho.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    Rich Koala, sperho and MRM like this.
  10. Rebel13

Rebel13 Active Member

Hi scooter,
    I'm about the same size as you and wonder how effective you found the screen to be, as the taller rider seem to find it a bit useless?

11. Scooter71

Scooter71 Member

Hi Rebel,
    I would have to say that the windshield & fairing do it's job at keeping the wind from wanting to pull you off the bike at higher speeds but there is quite a bit of air that hits my helmet with the windshield down which causes more wind noise to enter the helmet plus I noticed lots of bugs hit the shield. It does help to push air through the venting in the helmet though so helpful on hot days. With the windshield up there is more air passing over my helmet but there is still a lot of noise in my helmet. Now maybe my helmet is just noisy, it is a Scorpion Exo-1200 which is brand new. When aftermarket shields are available I may replace but want to do more investigating first. I am coming from a R1150R with an aftermarket windshield so I don't know what real good wind protection is like. I imagine the RT doesn't allow much wind at all to hit the rider. So I don't find it useless but I do think a taller screen could be better.

12. Rebel13

Rebel13 Active Member

Thanks a Scooter, I paid a small fortune to find the right after market screen for my 800ST, so I'm hoping that I won't have to repeat the exercise. Plus the factory screen of the RS keeps the shape of the bike and any larger screen might detract from its looks.
    My RS should arrive in around 4 weeks.

13. lars Ormvold

lars Ormvold Active Member

I tested the seat-height on EICMA in Milan Italy after I ordered the bike to decide which seat (of the four options). Ended up with the highest (sportseat) which I feel suits me good. I am 6 feet tall, and for the last eight years been riding the R1200ST. By the way, I am Norwegian, anyone knows how to get the flag changed on the picture ???

14. Scooter71

Scooter71 Member

I agree Rebel a higher screen would alter the looks probably make it look less sporty! As of right now I have no desire to change the windscreen but after time and some longer rides I may look at it again. The bike is amazing there was no other choice for me plus I think it is about the sexiest looking bike out there! 4 weeks will be here in no time but that wait is a killer. I had my deposit down for over 2 months before it came in which arrived earlier than they said. I think you'll love it!

15. Rebel13

Rebel13 Active Member

I spoke to the dealer today and he tells me that my new bike should be in early next week.:)

As I'm only 5/7, even though I can comfortably reach the ground with both feet, almost flat foot, I was contemplating getting the low seat.
    The dealer advised me against getting it, as he has been told it effects the geometry of the bike.
    Has anyone else heard this?
    Thanks.

16. JHero

JHero Active Member

The low seat will not affect the geometry of the bike. I think he must have been referring to a possible low suspension version.

17. Rebel13

Rebel13 Active Member

I didn't think it would.
    He did say that it would cost him $800 to get a demo low seat. Maybe is was worried that he'd be stuck with the low seat if I decided against it.
    Thanks anyway.

18. JHero

JHero Active Member

19. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

As others have said...a low seat will not effect the geometry.
    Also there is no low suspension version of the R/RS. I think your dealer was confused...go back an talk with a different salesman. You are likely to get different and better answers.

ps I have a 29inch inseam, I got the option 2 seat (2nd highest) to reduce knee bend angle for longer rides and can flat foot on both sides taking my weight off the seat. While I can flat foot it, I have to put my weight on the seat to have enough "leg length" to push the bike back or forward. So far the option 2 seat is good for 200 mile (one tank full) stints....I real surprise as I may not have to go to an after market seat for long day comfort.

20. Woodleg

Woodleg Member

What do you mean option2?
    Sport seat: 840
    Standard: 820
    Low:760

There is a 790 seat (the same as standard r1200r), but not as an option, just a payable accesory (280 €).