No customization options are available.

R1200RS Sport SE Owners Review..2017

Discussion in 'BMW R1200RS Reviews' started by mousejockey40, Apr 11, 2017.

1. TimMc

TimMc Member

Interesting to read Dirk. If you're able to find out what they did I'd love to know!

2. TimMc

TimMc Member

My unpleasant 4th & 5th gear vibes are only felt when cruising. Under acceleration they're drowned out by other, more pleasant vibes.

mousejockey40 likes this.
  3. Dirk Coetzee

Dirk Coetzee Member

Hi TimMc
    I will ask my buddy at Bmw dealership .....But normally they are very lip tight about anything they do on the bikes in South Africa.:mad::mad:

TimMc likes this.
  4. Nordicmike

Nordicmike New Member

Just had my RS in for first service at 860kms. Took their demo RS out exact same as mine with less than 600kms on it. That bike thrummed in 4th gear like TimMc says but mine does not. The vibration during acceleration and deceleration was like mine pretty noticeable. Dealer said it smooths out with the miles over time and as i see from other thread on this that seems to be right?
    Gearbox on the demo was better than mine in first 3 gears not as clunky. All bikes are different thats for sure.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    TimMc and mousejockey40 like this.
  5. TimMc

TimMc Member

Dirk did get back to me here, on another page. http://r1200rsforums.com/threads/thrumming-in-fourth-gear.175/page-4#post-56259
    Here is what Dirk wrote;
    "Hi TimMc
    not sure if i promised you the info or not but sounds like the same thread.in 4 gear 60 to 80km/h thrumming
    Found the nut on the clutch basket under torque. Re torque the 36mm nut to 250Nm and problem gone.no more thrumming in 4th gear.
    hope you come right.
    USE AT OWN RISK I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE OR INJURY CAUSED
    Regards
    Dirk."

Thanks again Dirk.

6. Dave Nichols

Dave Nichols New Member

if "thrumming" means harmonic vibration, then clutch nut under torque makes sense... as does improper torque of any engine mount related nut or bolt... Nickle

TimMc likes this.
  7. GvG

GvG Member

Did you also try this already TimMc?

8. TimMc

TimMc Member

No. Spoke to the dealer about it. Sounds like a biggish job, taking the front cover off the engine. Is it that big?

9. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Does anyone else experience a rebound "bounce back" at random (usually after having stopped) when using Road mode?

I never have this in Dynamic but only Road and assume it's for it being much softer and therefore compressing more. Just find it weird that it rebounds after the fact and suddenly lifts when stopped.

10. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

I
    I assume you're using the front brake when drawing to a stop? If so then me too. I put it down to road setting being softer as well.

11. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Yeah it usually just happens after a heavier stop and on the front brakes heavily.

12. Bravo

Nowt to worry about,just the softer setting.

SauRoN and mousejockey40 like this.
  13. Graham Lewis

Graham Lewis Active Member Contributor

well my first non intro post. I am hopefully going to sign up for a new RS today. Your points on the RS are exactly how I felt about the bike on the test ride. So helpful, one thing I was told to use the clutch up to third gear and from third down to one. Is that what you are doing?

now to get the bike, say goodbye to my K1300GT

14. Bravo

Personally clutch 1st to 2nd 2nd to 1st worked for me,as my bike has around 6000 miles on it,the gasp seems better,I only use the clutch on the downshift from 2nd to 1st. (And of course selecting 1st from neutral).

15. mousejockey40

mousejockey40 Active Member

Yeah 1st to second clutch only really. Unless your really only tootling along, the shift assist pro works far better under more pacey acceleration. ;-)
    Its only really to miss neutral BMW's only have 1 neutral unlike our Honda brothers who seem to have built a box full into the new Firebade SP.. hahahaha

Willy and Bravo like this.
  16. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I think it depends upon how your GASP is set up on your bike. On my RS, the smoothest downshifts are from 3 to 2 and 2 to first. Going in the other direction requires the clutch to avoid a big jerk until you get past third gear. However, the system does seem to up-shift nicely, even from first and second, when accelerating hard at high revs. Or maybe I don't notice the jerks so much because I am too busy trying to hang on. ;)

mousejockey40 and Aussie Import like this.
  17. Graham Lewis

thanks all that is really helpful. just bought the bike today picking it up Saturday. checked with dealer and he said he only suggests the 3 and up and visa versa when poodling around town. How is it that some are well known members is the number of posts?

18. TPadden

TPadden Member

It's determined by number of beers bought for fellow members, subtracting the number of posts where the term "poodling" is used. :cool:

AZGeek, mousejockey40 and Bravo like this.
  19. Graham Lewis

need to buy a round all up to Cumbria

20. TPadden

TPadden Member

Likely you'll be a well-known member sooner than I :D.

Tom