No customization options are available.

R1200RS Sport SE Owners Review..2017

Discussion in 'BMW R1200RS Reviews' started by mousejockey40, Apr 11, 2017.

1. mousejockey40

mousejockey40 Active Member

Well I've had the bike for 4 weeks now, her first service was done last Friday at 756 miles on the clock.
    As of today I have 1,254 miles on the clock including a couple of decent 225 & 285 mile rides on her.

buxton-1.JPG wales 1.JPG

So far she thoroughly impressed me in every way.

Here are my thoughts........

ENGINE: Strong, smooth and an ample amount of very usable torque. Revs cleanly and provides a good handful of engine braking which has surprised a couple of my riding buddies recently who may have been following a touch too close in the twisties.

GEARBOX: Slick, clean and direct. The quick shifter has so far been flawless both up and especially down the gears. It makes riding the twisties so much fun but you can get the occasional squeal from the rear tyre if you get a bit aggressive with the downshifting..

CHASSIS: Overall a sturdy well put together machine. The paralever swing arm works well with the rest of the frame to give a very confidence inspiring feel to the whole bike.

ESA SUSPENSION: Very comfortable as well as being quite responsive to undulations and bumps in the road including the manhole covers, grids cats eyes and pot holes we have on most of our British roads. ;). When set to 'ROAD' and preload set for rider and pillion you can both ride in all day comfort with the suspension handling everything thrown at it with comparative ease, even added luggage does not appear to faze this setup.
    When riding solo and set to DYNAMIC the real fun begins, as soon as you ask it to push hard into corners, change direction, brake hard, drive hard out of corners it all seems to tighten up and give you a very confidence inspiring feeling. I have found it really controls the amount of dive under hard braking, not shifting all the weight forward allowing for a great feeling of poise about the whole bike.
    I have already touched down the right footpeg hero blob (as its called) and to my surprise it was very loud, even though it was only lightly scraped when I looked...

RIDER MODES: Work very well and do exactly what they advertise, although I normally prefer to ride with ROAD selected, DYNAMIC can feel a little harsh (IMHO).

BRAKES: One word WOW.. these radial brembos are outstanding.. They initially took me by surprise with how much power they had when I required them to scrub off a good amount of unwanted speed.. after which I did some braking practice to get more in tune with them and how they felt..
    They have a very linear feel and nothing like as progressive as I have been used too previously.
    Combined with the ABS they are truly formidable stoppers...
    The rear is also a joy now I have a good feel for it I can gently use it to bring the rear in and tighten up in the bend if needed. Very nice feel to them, lots of feedback through the levers and foot pedal.

RIDING POSITION: I find it quite upright but not GS stylee, but still very neutral feeling and now weight on the wrists when moving. Great pillion position (so my partner Dawn tells me), although she mentioned that slightly lower pillion pegs might be a consideration for longer rides.

STYLING: I personally love it all and I thing she looks amazing dressed in Lupin Blue (the fastest colour I'm told) :p

NAV 5 : I think its brilliant, gives me everything I need and integrates very well with my new Schuberth C3PRO helmet and SRC system. Love the tyre pressure sensors as well.

BUILD-FIT AND FINISH: Its a BMW....Quality all over .

THINGS I WOULD CHANGE: I think bar risers should be a free option as the seats are. An analogue Tachometer would be nice also.

Well those are my thoughts so far, I'm sure some of you will agree and some will disagree but that's part of the fun of being part of a forum :)..

Thanks for reading guys...

2. SoCal RS

SoCal RS Active Member Contributor

Thanks for the read, mostly have the same thoughts myself, not counting the Lupin is faster remark. Glad you're enjoying your new ride.

Leon.P. and mousejockey40 like this.
  3. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

largely agree but my bike is free of any anthropomorphic gender - I'd get arrested if I treated a person like I treat a motorcycle.

mousejockey40, Bravo and ray2 like this.
  4. Jasper

Jasper Active Member

Agree with all you say. I have had my RS since October last year and it took no time at all to bond with this bike as it is just so planted and stable. I have bar risers and the low seat which suit me just fine. Plenty of power, quick shift once you get used to using it is brilliant and the brakes are fantastic. Also unintentionally touched a hero blob down on an unfamiliar road in a tight left hander last time I was out, the rock solid handling giving no dramas as I had to drop it in a little more to tighten my line. It's amazing how easy it is to ride this bike through the bends. In fact I run out of bravado a long time before this bike will run out of grip. I'm sure a lot of you guys out there push your bikes closer to the limits than I do !! In my humble opinion it's the best all round bike on the market can't fault it.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    Leon.P., mousejockey40 and Bravo like this.
  5. TimMc

TimMc Member

Agree with most. Two downsides for me so far in my 2,600km.
    1. 4th gear driveline "thrum" every ~1.5s at 60-80kph is driving me nuts, as is the thrashing/flailing sensation of something badly loose whenever I use 5th. Dealer tells me they can't feel it...
    2. I haven't touched down a peg yet, but have ground out the centre stand pretty hard several times while cornering on bumpy roads. I may end up removing the stand.

mousejockey40 likes this.
  6. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

Great write up,one question though. Do you find you just can't stop looking at it when it's parked up?

Jasper, RS i Mc, Jim Evans and 2 others like this.
  7. Dirk Coetzee

Dirk Coetzee Member

Hi TimMc
    I had the same on my 2015 mod RS in 4th gear at 60 to 80 km/h the "thrum"sensation.So i told the dealer when the bike went for the first service"1000 km" and when it came back the "thrum"sensation was gone.....So i don't know what they did but mine is fine and standing on 7000 km now.
    Best of luck,hope Bmw can sort out your problem.
    Dirk

TimMc likes this.
  8. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

great review!

I'm also pretty happy with mine....but I also get the thrum/buzzy vibration thing - usually when hard accelerating or decelerating through 4-5k rpm and back down. Can feel the high frequency vibes through bars, seat and pegs and just feels odd for what is a pretty smooth engine at all other revs. In for first service (around 800 miles) next week so will ask dealer to check this out.

9. mousejockey40

Thanks Bravo.. And to answer your question, Yes your correct I can't stop looking at her.... such a fine looking piece of engineering. :D:D:D

Jasper and Bravo like this.
  10. mousejockey40

So far I have not experienced any form of ''thrum'' as you say on my RS but I am aware of what you mean because an RT I test road did the same thing at about 3,750-4,000 rpm in 6th gear... Maybe its a common thing among Boxers???

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    TimMc likes this.
  11. mousejockey40

Thanks Jasper, I'm not a knee down kinda rider, the only time I get my knee down is to clean her underbelly :)

Jasper, Leon.P. and Bravo like this.
  12. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

Congratulations on finding true love.

mousejockey40 and Leon.P. like this.
  13. Hugh

Hugh Member

I have only had my bike a few weeks and about to do a long ride out from London to the Black Forrest so plenty of potential to find out just how good the RS is. My quibble so far is that I find 1st gear far too short and with the quick shifter upping it into 2nd is rather jerky. Thereafter everything else is fine.

14. mousejockey40

Personally I always clutch 1st to 2nd as it goes through neutral... I think most will agree on here that's the best way to do it on any bike...
    Enjoy the ride :)

Joogles and boxerboy like this.
  15. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Give that man a prize, my best ride last year was through the Welsh roads with my best mate - Bluebells in the woods and Lupin on the roads ...

16. Andy Griffiths

I am only 230 miles 'in' to my 2017 RS so its early days. My first impression is the same as I think expressed by another two time owner. The 17 model is not a major improvement over the 2015 enough for second hand values to be affected and for owners to feel like its time to change. Yes, the gearbox is much smoother into first and the quick shifter may be a little better generally. Also, the dash seems a bit clearer.
    All the great bits are still there:) from why I chose the RS in the first place and its still comes with the world's worst satnav position:rolleyes:, and the stock screen is still noisy. The invisible changes like ABS pro/dynamic brake light remain invisible to the rider on a day to day basis.

oscarguitar likes this.
  17. mousejockey40

lol. yep, I had forgotten to include that in my 'things I would change'... good point !! :)

18. Andy Griffiths

I think if BMW got that right it might have been the perfect bike and they would close R&D down !

Richard230 likes this.
  19. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I thought BMW was already convinced that they make the perfect motorcycle and their customers know nothing. :rolleyes:

20. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

They did that years ago. R&D seems to be done by the paying customer once it leaves the computerised design phase.