No customization options are available.

R1200RS recall in U.S. - NEW

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by rclompus, Nov 6, 2017.

1. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

What a lot of fuss about a couple of reflective stickers. Who’d be a motorcycle manufacturer these days? How much will all this cost the manufacturer, dealer and owners? Why not just send the stickers out in the post? Seems like most owners are going to take them straight off again anyway. Bonkers! If you’re rely on a 1/2” x 2” reflective sticker to save your life you probably should consider some other form of transport.

Richard230, Grumpy Goat and darrell like this.
  2. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

I have absolutely no issue with any safety based reflectors, reflective stickers, reflective rim tape etc. There I said it. :D

They don't slow the bike down or affect performance in any way, and to my eyes don't significantly detract from the aesthetics of the bike. So when the reflectors come in I will get them installed gladly. :)

Any others with the same view? ;)

Jim Evans and oscarguitar like this.
  3. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

To me they are just one more place the collects wax residue and needs to be cleaned with a cotton swab. :rolleyes:

4. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Gee-gaws. Sure, I have put reflectors on my Spyder's Givi bags, and Motoreflectives on the RS panniers and top box. More than that? No.

5. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

I stopped by my dealer today to look at their used bike inventory and say hello. Checked on the pannier reflectors for the recall notice BMW sent. Service manager checked my bikes vin number and said there were no open campaigns attached to my bike so said don't worry about it.

6. Grumpy Goat

Hah! What a bunch of nonsense from BMW USA. I called the dealership last week and again was told that they had no kits yet. I tell you if I did not like this bike that much they'd be fired and I'd have another brand by now. :mad:

7. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

That's interesting.

8. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Another member had a picture of the recall reflectors on his RS bags awhile back.
    Seems strange all the dealers do not have them now.

9. darrell

Lee I thought so too. He was going to just hand me the reflectors but checked and said no need as not listed as a campaign with my bike. When I bought my bike I had two separate invoices prepared. One for the bike just as it came from Germany out of the crate and another one for all the accessories. I always do this when buying a bike for whatever reason so maybe they do not have a way to recognizing those pannier purchases before they started attaching the reflectors before selling the panniers.

10. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

I'll bring some reflectors from Walmart and give them to you in Arkansas :)
    We don't want too grumpy. :)

11. darrell

Bring them as a door prize for someone else as I don't plan on attaching any to my panniers.

runnerhiker and Richard230 like this.
  12. Grumpy Goat

Recall the crooked reflector installation:

Well I finally fixed them today. Removed the reflector on the left pannier with a heat gun applied on the inside, removed the adhesive and spongy backing from the back for the reflector using Goo Gone, and then reinstalled the reflector. Luckily no blemishes on the pannier finish. Attached are before and after photos, as well as a couple others. Feel much better now. :)

Attached Files:

Aussie Import and Richard230 like this.