No customization options are available.

R1200RS Gear Oil Specifications

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tech and Performance Chat' started by RapidRoy, Jun 19, 2016.

1. RapidRoy

RapidRoy Member

It seems odd to me that the gear oil specification isn't listed anywhere in the owners manual, especially since it looks easy to change. At any rate, I'm going in for the 600 mile service this week and want to change the motor oil and final drive oil myself. I've done some searching and can't seem to find any official documents from BMW that list the gear oil specifications. I have seen a number of posts here and there that recommend 75W-90, and a few 75W-140 references. I'm still waiting for my Haynes manual to arrive, so would appreciate it if someone could post the "official" specifications from the service DVD or other BMW documentation on the RS.

2. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

I have changed mine and the bevel change information states Castrol SAF XO (180ml) and mine is the 75w 90 ( 20Nm on both drain and fill plugs) but why bmw fit one as an allen key and another torq is another question.
    UK is Castrol syntrax longlife 75w 90

3. Joerg58

Joerg58 New Member

Repair manual : all 2 years or 20,000 KM
    Castrol SAF-XO
    BMW Order No. 33 11 7 695 240

4. RapidRoy

RapidRoy Member

Thank you for the info. Dave and Jeorg. There seems to be a lot of confusion about what the actual BMW recommendations are on a lot of the blogs.

5. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

I thought 600 miles service included this but having junked what came out after 1500 miles I have my doubts, actually did 10 miles and changed it again. The top of the drain plug, as it sits in bevel unit, had filled completely with grease, I assume part of assembly. Having just returned from 5000 mile jaunt across Europe in 14 days I have changed it again. This time it is like brand new coming out with only slight discolouring from the new I put back. It is only 180ml so 5 changes on a 1 litre bottle and I'd rather have it new in here than sat on a shelf in my garage. So much easier than my R1200ST to do, 15 mins at max including having the coffee mug with me.

6. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

I believe that it is included in the 600 mile service.

Don't be fooled into thinking that black oil from the bevel unit is bad.... Black oil is from combustion products in the engine. In the final drive it's molybdenum disulphide. A good thing. ST1300s have the same black oil when new.

If you've got combustion products in your final drive then changing the oil is the least of your problems. As to why replacement oil doesn't have it. I suspect it's an initial running in additive.

SirRevzalot likes this.
  7. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Today I learnt this bike has separate gearbox oil and doesn't share it with the engine.

I looked at the chick rather funny when booking it in and she said it's on the 20,000km service list only to Google it later and find this thread.

Oh it's not "gearbox oil" but rather drive shaft oil. Yeah that I was fully aware of.

Peter Burridge likes this.
  8. Peter Burridge

Strange, I was replying to the thread when your quoted content changed. Did you edit it? Am I going mad?

9. Peter Burridge

Ahh, not I have your post in it's entirety. Weird.

10. folagana

folagana Well-Known Member Contributor

Peter the final drive oil becomes black because of the additive?

11. Peter Burridge

No, molybdenum disulphide is black hence the colour. I haven’t changed out brand new oil to check but I can’t see any other reason for the colour that isn’t there in subsequent changes. My theory is that this breakdown resistant additive is used for the initial bed in only.

As I think I said above, my Pan European ST1300 was the same. Molybdenum disulphide grease is often specified for final drive splines too.

folagana likes this.
  12. saizou

saizou Member

Is final gear oil suppose to turn black? I put 6k miles on Maxima's ester final gear oil and it came out very clean.

Attached Files:

13. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Yes, the final drive oil will be black, it seems, when it is first drained and replaced. this is probably because the initial "charge" includes molybdenum disulphide grease, which is black.

folagana likes this.
  14. Gregory Clark

Gregory Clark Active Member Contributor

I'll not dispute if it did or did not have a moly additive, however mine did not drain out black when I completed the 600 service. I replaced it with BMW C-SAF-XO gear oil.

oscarguitar and Peter Burridge like this.
  15. Peter Burridge

Read the above and all will be reveal
    Interesting. Both mine did, the original and the replacement. Maybe they have changed the spec/supplier/different in the US?

16. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Ha ha ha.

Yes I did a minor edit when I realised you guys much like BMW themselves was referring to "gear oil" and not "gearbox oil".

Still seems a bit of a strange term to me, even though I know the shaft is technically a gear.

17. Gregory Clark

Gregory Clark Active Member Contributor

Could be. I'll change mine again next month and will update the thread. I'm just glad they sorted the final drive issues once and for all. In the past I was looking for bits of metal vs. moly streaks. :)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  18. Peter Burridge

My replacement was solely due to corrosion on the centre spool. It hadn't been plated right through. My 2004 GS had a new one due to oil seals failing.

19. folagana

folagana Well-Known Member Contributor

I agree

20. Dan smith

Dan smith Active Member

Grumpy Goat Posted a nice U tube video on This .Search bmw grumpy goat. Its right to use the oe Bmw spec gear oil. But there are a lot of high quality full syn , gear oils that will do the job just fine. In the US there is hundreds of GL5 75-90 brands and only a few company's that really make it. Below made in Germany 15.24 on amazon meets BMW SAF-SO spec. You don't need to buy from the dealer .
    RAVENOL J1C1109 SAE 75W-90 Gear Oil - VSG Full Synthetic

Specifications, Applications, and OE Reference Numbers:

• MIL-L 2105 D
    • Mercedes Benz MB 235.8
    • Mercedes Benz MB 235.11
    • MAN 342 Typ S-1
    • ZF TE-ML 12B, 16F, 17B
    • SCANIA STO 1:0
    • Renault LKW
    • DAF LKW (for longdrain intervals)
    • VOLVO 97312
    • VOLVO 97315