No customization options are available.

R1200RS activities in Europe (that includes UK...) 2018?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Mans Ulvestahl, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Mans Ulvestahl

Mans Ulvestahl Member

Any of you nutcases planning interesting trips in 2018?
    Join or invite.

Currently I'm looking into Nordkapp -> Oslo (Norway).
    One week in July.

Attached Files:

2. Graham Lewis

Graham Lewis Active Member Contributor

not certain if counts but this year is TT for me, won't be able to do another due to demands at home.

ray2 likes this.
  3. boxerboy

boxerboy Well-Known Member

I have a week in Brittany planned for the end of May, Portsmouth - St Malo return crossing booked. Perhaps not as exciting a trip as I'd ideally like, but 2 years ago I made a long trip that virtually killed off my wife's interest, so this is a simpler trip with a plan of much lower mileage per day in the hope that we will both enjoy the tour.

PaulB_UK likes this.
  4. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Well-Known Member

PaulB_UK and Grumpy Goat like this.
  5. PaulB_UK

PaulB_UK Active Member

I'm off to Corsica in September with a few mates. Just have to endure 2 long days through France each way.

I did home (UK) to Nordkapp and back in 2 weeks in 2016. So much rain. Such long days. A 5000 mile (8000 km) endurance test.

Cheers

Paul B.

Dave and boxter like this.
  6. boxter

boxter Well-Known Member

2 days going through France, you must really try harder Paul. :)

Ged

PaulB_UK likes this.
  7. PaulB_UK

PaulB_UK Active Member

:D

I know mate, I know... But been to France plenty. It's 900 miles from home to Toulon (where we catch the ferry to Corsica) so doing an overnighter on the way down.

Cheers

Paul B.

boxter likes this.
  8. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Got to agree, 3 trips to Norway in 2014/16 and 2017, probably again this year, each time you go the list of things still to see gets larger.
    It takes 3 days, Devon to Kristiansand campsite at Evje, around 1200 miles just getting there, although twice on return trips I have done 980 and 900 miles on my last day home, around 20 hours, stupid I know but took two days from Denmark last year.
    Not sure you could do those same miles through Norway/Sweden on A roads plus lower speed limits with no autobahns in 3 days. (1000 miles Stockholm to Nordkapp)
    For me, 450 mile days getting there soon becomes 250 as a reasonable day, 300 at a push with 80kph with huge speeding fines.
    No matter, until we get better ferry services to the north it is still worth the endurance test to get to the best roads with so little traffic.
    Still only got as far as Arctic circle centre, Bognes for ferry to Lofoten so far! This then left nearly 600 miles to Nordkapp which I declined, maybe this year?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    boxerboy and PaulB_UK like this.
  9. PaulB_UK

PaulB_UK Active Member

Holy crap, that's a lot of miles in the saddle in 1 day!

Our stops were all 400 to 450 miles apart (apart from Odense to Stockholm, which was 500 miles of motorway). Then up to Savar for an overnight, then on to Leppajarvi in rural Finland for the last stop before Nordkapp. Like you say, I soon discovered that at a speed limit of 50mph, it makes for very long days. They seem to drag on even longer when it's raining. On the upside, it's daylight for 24/7 at the the time of year we went.

Yup, lesson learned. 450 miles at 50mph limit is way too much. My plan was to stop every 100 miles (ish), with every 2nd stop being a fuel stop. The guy I was with soon found that anything more than an hour on his ZZR1400 was painful, so we ended up stopping every hour. It made the days even longer...

I also know of a guy who got a speeding fine (I think in Norway) and did a rough calculation and thought it was about £46. That night he worked it out that he'd actually paid (via card) £460. Ouch.

Cheers

Paul B.

PS: Lofoten Islands is on my "to-do" list... But you gotta get to Nordkapp, just so you can say you've done it :)

10. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

As far as speeding, I had a very lucky escape, this was edited and printed in Motorcyclesport&Leisure magazine Dec 2016 on my holiday report but my original text was as follows :-
    My lucky, very lucky escape of the trip? So, after three hours, maybe more, of the 'flatlands' going north you pass the archway across the road marking the gateway to the north, Nordlands and the roads are no longer flat. I got stuck behind a lorry and three cars trundling along at 70kph for miles and then- a long straight, had to be done. Changed down, a few gears, and let the bike zip past all four, fastest I had been for days but then had that lucky moment. Thought "nope, on holiday, 80kph limit, high fines" and just let go of the twist grip. Engine braking is great on the RS, back down to speed limit, float round the right hander at the end of this straight and have two tripod radar devices facing me and two police officers smiling. They must have heard me, the cars and lorry saw me but I just continued, warning taken, lucky escape.
    I also met a Norwegian, R80RT owner, who had been fined a few hundred pounds for being 2kph over a town 40 limit so if you visit you have to slow down. It also takes a few days to extend your distance gaps in traffic like the locals, tailgating really not needed.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    PaulB_UK likes this.
  11. R50PPM

R50PPM Member

Me a few mates are doing Germany this year, through the Harz Mountains then across to Colditz, back via Mosel valley. Should be fun.

12. Sideshow Bob

Sideshow Bob Member

Off for a Spanish road trip in June, Portsmouth to Bilbao then down to Ribadesella for 4 nights and will do a few ride outs down into Asturias and Galicia, don’t know where we will head after that, maybe Segovia for a couple of nights

boxerboy likes this.
  13. Stick Rockwell

Stick Rockwell Active Member

Wow, you Brit's put on the miles! Hopefully, I'll get 3 trips to find covered bridges in South Eastern, Western, and Northern West Virginia. This year I'd like to close the book on WV as I did finish Virginia last year. Who knows, but I might venture south to find both bridges in North Carolina too. I'll post the pics. Hope you all will too. Stick.

14. boxter

boxter Well-Known Member

What day of the week will you be coming down the Mosel?

Ged

15. Duds

Duds Member

Off to the Jerez Moto GP in May with a couple of mates.
    We’re taking the Portsmouth to Santander Ferry as we’ve done the transit through France a number of times and we find it can be a bit tedious when you’re trying to cover distance.
    Unfortunately time off work is a challenge, so it’s a fairly short trip with 2 full days riding from Santander to Cadiz on the way down, weekend at the GP and 3 days working our way back up close to Portugal and then along the Spanish North coast. Probably not much more than 2000 miles but the roads are superb.

Can’t wait.

boxerboy likes this.
  16. LQB1

LQB1 Member

Stick,
    Have you been to SE Ohio? Some great rides to be had there - and some covered bridges!
    Larry

17. Stick Rockwell

Stick Rockwell Active Member

image.jpeg
    Larry, I have not as yet. That's not a bad idea though. Beautiful riding roads through Wv. to get to Ohio. I'll check the covered bridge site to see what all you have out there. Once done with this years intentions, I had considered starting Pa. A daunting task at best as there are over 200 there! Whew!!

This may be the most noteworthy CB in Wv. Its one of the first I traveled to when I started the adventure. The CB in Phillipi is the longest in the state. Its a dual lane and in continuous use today. I'm told the first battle of the American Civil War occurred here. The trusses are still charred from an attempt to burn the bridge down in the skirmish. More to see in the coming year. Stick.

18. MarcoRS

MarcoRS New Member

stuart2820 likes this.
  19. stuart2820

stuart2820 Active Member

20. Graham Lewis

Graham Lewis Active Member Contributor

PaulB_UK likes this.