No customization options are available.

R1200 RS recall

Discussion in 'BMW R1200RS Forum Announcements' started by Michael, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Michael

Michael Well-Known Member

2. Martien

Martien Member

"BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain accessory turn signals manufactured for 2006-2017 R1200GS, 2007-2008 and 2010-2017 R1200GS Adventure, 2017 F700GS and F800GS, 2013-2017 F800GT, 2015-2016 F800R, 2014-2017 F800GS Adventure, 2014-2016 S1000R, 2015-2017 R1200R, 2016-2017 R1200RS, and 2010-2017 S1000RR motorcycles. As designed, these accessory turn signals may be insufficiently visible to other drivers, and, as such, fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 108, "Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment."

Cannot imagine this would apply to the optional LED turn signals, these are very bright and visible. Will be watching out for more info...

Bill the Cat likes this.
  3. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

I wonder what are the details of ".... certain accessory turn signals" are.

4. Alan Pratt

Alan Pratt New Member

Dealer told me yesterday they are referring to the reflectors on the side of the license plate bracket. The reflectors are mounted too far forward and are blocked by the panniers. They said they could not sell a bike with panniers until the reflectors were relocated.
    Reflectors are not turn signals, but that is what they told me.

ray2 likes this.
  5. boxter

boxter Active Member

I think this was discussed in a former thread.

Ged

6. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

I thought the reflector recall was separate from the turn signal recall.

7. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

The surface area of the BMW LED turn signal may be smaller than required in the US.

8. Grumpy Goat

I would think that they would know the difference between a passive reflector and an active indicator, so the recall sounds like it would not apply to the reflectors.

9. Randy Butler

Randy Butler New Member

Any updates on this? I saw the same notice I think from Cycle World but have not read any other reports on this. I am loath to change my turn signals as I think they look and work well.

10. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

This is the BMW LED turn signal being recalled in the US.
    Rear Fender4.JPG

There's also a recall for side reflectors.

11. Randy Butler

Randy Butler New Member

anybody know what the new ones look like?

Thanks!

12. Grumpy Goat

Guess it does not affect me then. I don't have LED turn signals but once though of getting them. Side reflectors ... don't care so much, especially since I am about to receive my customtaylor33 high intensity reflective wheel rim tape in Black.

Decided not to go with orange, VTBob, although I did like the look on your bike.

13. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

As far as I know there is no new LED accessory turn signal in the US.

14. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

Today in the mail I received my recall notice on the reflectors. It states for all motorcycles (R1200RS is listed) affected a reflective sticker will be placed on the side of the luggage cases and for the GS models a sticker and additional bracket to bring the reflector back further so it can be seen with the luggage cases on the bike. Says repair takes about 1 hour and is free of charge.

The motorcycles affected are listed as 2013 - 2017 R1200GS, R1200GS Adv, R1200R, R1200RS, F800R, F800GT, and S1000XR.

15. Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Bob Ain't Stoppin' Member

Got mine today also :)

16. Bill the Cat

Bill the Cat Active Member

huh. I have the BMW LEDs, and the reason that I got them was that I thought that they were brighter than the incandescents. Also saves me the hassle of switching out bulbs, and has a smaller footprint. Not worried about the reflectors much. I have the reflective sticker kit that covers the entire rear of the pannier. From the side? I'd be interested to see the mod there.

17. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I received my saddlebag reflector recall letter yesterday and I never even bought any BMW saddlebags for my RS. I think I will wait for the Shad saddlebag reflector recall letter. :rolleyes: No doubt this will leave a "black mark" on my BMW safety recall history that will need to be disclosed to any future owner. :eek:

Bill the Cat likes this.
  18. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

Pi
    Pick up the reflectors from your dealer so they can cross you off the list of bikes and put them in your manual for the next owner or if you get stopped for no sticker then you can show the officer you are heading home to apply them as just picked them up.

Grumpy Goat, Scorch and Bill the Cat like this.
  19. Bill the Cat

Bill the Cat Active Member

Hmmm. I got the letter last night. Has anyone taken their bike in yet that could provide a pic of the mod?

20. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

Opps, too late. :oops: I have already shredded the recall notice. :eek: My bad. :p