No customization options are available.

R100RS - a heritage review

Discussion in 'BMW R1200RS Reviews' started by boxerboy, Sep 13, 2017.

1. boxerboy

boxerboy Well-Known Member

I hope this article http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-german-motorcycles/1977-bmw-r100rs?pageid=4#PageContent4 is acceptable under R1200RS Reviews, it's a really nice compilation of quotes and reflections on the history of the R100RS which I believe many of us appreciate as the true heritage of our beloved modern bikes. I'm fortunate to own both an '81 version and a '16 version.

In particular I'd draw your attention to the comments about the slow and clunky transmission in 1st and 2nd gears and that the screen height deflects wind around the collar - so maybe these are deliberate engineered quirks on the R12ooRS to reference the original RS !!
    I have to say for me the original fairing is still a design icon, a thing of form, beauty and function. Back in the mid 80's when PPE was unheard of, I can recall riding down the M6 motorway for a interview on a summer's day, stopping at the last service station before Birmingham and removing my oversuit and and putting on my work suit (all stored in the smart Krauser panniers) riding the last 10 miles or so in a suit and tie to arrive for an interview "appropriately" dressed - madness I know! But the truth is, safety apart that fairing prides exceptional wind & rain protection and with the narrow bars I never suffered from wet gloves / hands. Enjoy the read !

Mr. 36654, Mark, ray2 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

The original - still one of the most desirable motorcycles ever .

Peter G and Richard230 like this.
  3. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

It was a beauty...and truly created the sport-touring category. I wanted a '93 Motosport edition badly...

boxerboy likes this.
  4. GaryS

GaryS Member

"In particular I'd draw your attention to the comments about the slow and clunky transmission in 1st and 2nd gears and that the screen height deflects wind around the collar - so maybe these are deliberate engineered quirks on the R12ooRS to reference the original RS !!"

AMEN brother !!!

the only flaw on what is otherwise the most perfectest bike I've had yet

boxerboy likes this.
  5. boxerboy

boxerboy Well-Known Member

The only flaw,,,,,,,,,I guess we could call it "character", surely if we want smooth as silk we would all ride 4 cylinder bikes that run like sewing machines, then again.....

6. Andy Griffiths

I stil do and there are 3 for sale in the UK right now...must resist

7. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

No, 6 cylinder BMWs run like really fast sewing machines and redefine smooth.

8. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

BMW created some classic bike and car designs working with Pininfarina. All the good of German engineering melded with the flair of Italian design.

9. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Am I the only one that sees a design resemblance between the Suzuki Katana and the R1100S? I see the later bikes reflecting the work of Hans Muth more than anyone else.

10. Whely1970

Whely1970 New Member

A beautiful motorcycle! And they are really hard to get...

11. DJBee

DJBee Active Member

I once owned a K75 that was fitted with a R100RS fairing. This was a 'special' produced in small numbers by Ongar motorcycles in Essex. I travelled over 70,000 miles all over Europe with this bike and it was stunningly good for its time. The brakes would be lacking now and it was never that fast but as a form of transport it was superb. With the exception of the front brake master cylinder, I never did anything to it apart from standard servicing. The way it snugged into the road and went completely calm and silent at about 85mph as a result of its aerodynamics was wonderful. I still miss it!

boxerboy likes this.
  12. Andy Griffiths

DJBee, I had a K75S after my FJ1200 to slow me down a bit ( ahem..:rolleyes:) . It was a great bike, smoothest bike Ive ever ridden and took me and my wife two up round Europe no problem at all. My only complaint was the narrow bars. I still look at ones on Ebay and if i ever found a silver, black wheels, low mileage mint example it might find its way into my garage :)

boxerboy likes this.