No customization options are available.

Quick whizz round south-west Ireland

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by potatan, Aug 26, 2017.

1. potatan

potatan Member

I just got back from my first week long multi-stop trip, going from Dublin to Limerick/Killarney, then the Ring of Kerry, Ring of Beara, and back via Cork and Rosslare.

Ireland is a great place for biking - only 3 million people (1m of those are in Dublin) makes for some pretty empty roads. Ring of Kerry was a bit like riding round Cornwall or Devon but with mountain backdrops. Ring of Beara was much more fun, much more empty, well surfaced empty lanes and roads and such stunning dramatic landscapes around every corner. The Healy Pass was a (literal) highlight.

For the most part I barely got past 4th gear - 3rd was plenty for the Ring of Beara - only getting back up to 5th and 6th on the long stretches at the start and end of the trip to and from the ferry ports.

The bike was great fun to ride in all conditions including torrential rain on a motorway section - hurricane Gert was just finishing her trip across the Atlantic as I arrived.

My only "complaint" if you can call it that is I can only manage about 90-120 minutes in the saddle before I need a break to rest my weary arse. On the R1100RS I can go 3+ hours without stopping and not even notice any discomfort when I get off, but this bike is a little bit of a compromise, with slightly more emphasis on the Sports than the Touring - a compromise I didn't mind really, as I had so much fun going for rides around in between the long stops.

I found the standard luggage perfectly fine and my stuff stayed as dry as a bone inside the liners. Also it's much easier to just take the inside bags into your B&B etc. rather than the whole pannier/topbox set.

Great journey, great ride, great place, great people, great bike. Already planning more trips!

boxerboy, Willy and ray2 like this.
  2. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

Real riding.
    Sounds like fun.
    If you didn't stop for pictures, I understand completely, but in the modern era, every ride report deserves one photo.... We're all standing by.
    And the fun part of this bike and this forum - there are several threads in which many share their dismay that the emphasis of this sports tourer is on touring rather than sport.... (Still waiting for the S1000RS that was displaced by the race for more GS-like bikes - like the S1000XR.)

boxerboy likes this.
  3. potatan

potatan Member

Funnily enough, I took a camera with me but it was one of those trips where you stop to take a photo of something beautiful or a stunning landscape, then put your camera away and set off again, only to find another more stunning shot around the next bend. I had to limit myself eventually or I'd have been stopping every five minutes!

Anyway here are a few. I stayed with a friend for a couple of nights in Eyeries village on the Beara peninsula so here are some pics of the area around the village including up the Healy Pass, and the view from the top of it down the other side

Attached Files:

• I4.jpg
      I4.jpg
      File size:
      360.9 KB
      Views:
    • I3.jpg
      I3.jpg
      File size:
      401.4 KB
      Views:
    • I1.jpg
      I1.jpg
      File size:
      594.4 KB
      Views:
    • I2.jpg
      I2.jpg
      File size:
      515.6 KB
      Views:
    ray2 likes this.
  4. potatan

potatan Member

Also, one highlight for me was popping to a very remote pub for lunch one day, only to find a 200 bike vintage motorcycle rally turning up out of the blue. Not only that but one of the riders was my childhood best friend who I ended up being best man for, who was there with his wife on their actual 30th wedding anniversary. Talk about coincidences!

ray2 likes this.