No customization options are available.

Question re: Removing BMW Engine Protection Bars

Discussion in 'R1200RS Appearance Mods' started by goodman312, Nov 5, 2017.

1. goodman312

goodman312 New Member

I called Hermy's today about this. Chuck is very much aware of the interest in this part, but said he cannot get them. He did provide some good advice; to check eBay or other online retailers in different countries. While he appreciates the internet's confidence in him, he said that it is - unfortunately - misplaced.

2. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

Hmmm.......I have the email from Hermy's with the offer to order it for me. It includes the response from BMW AG saying it will not fit.

After I got the fender (from Dubs), I sent Hermy's pictures showing the installed part and demonstrating it will fit.

I apologize if I mislead anyone

duccrazydave likes this.
  3. goodman312

goodman312 New Member

No harm done. The guy was super helpful - it was a great discussion even if it didn't result in me giving him money!

Mr. 36654 likes this.
  4. Yoda

Yoda Active Member

Thanks for clarifying this goodman312, I have the bars fitted and wondered if I would need any different bolts if I ever took them off, as the dealer didn't give me any that they might have replaced when fitting them.

5. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

They're a great shop for BMW and Triumph. Ownership is in the second generation and that guy is my age...i.e., not a kid.

6. goodman312

goodman312 New Member

No problem - it's what forums are for. And I was simply passing along information that @MrVvrroomm passed to me.

As soon as we have a decent day, I'll remove the BMW guards. I'll post to this thread if anything turns our to be different from what I noted above. There's been just enough mistakes and omissions to keep me cautious...

7. goodman312

goodman312 New Member

All, I removed the guards last night, which clarified some final questions I had. I've updated the original post with details.

FYI, there are two engine guards listed on the various parts pages - I've added the link that is closest to what I took off my bike. In addition, the instructions that Mr Vrooom sent me were labeled as "retrofit" and references two screws and a reinforcing plates (each side) for the front upper mounts that my bike didn't have (which has one screw and a spacer per side). I don't know if that was a earlier or later version of the bars, or if for some reason factory applied bars are different than those sold after the fact. FWIW, I haven't yet found a part number that includes the reinforcing plates.