No customization options are available.

Question re: Removing BMW Engine Protection Bars

Discussion in 'R1200RS Appearance Mods' started by goodman312, Nov 5, 2017.

1. goodman312

goodman312 New Member

Hi all,

First, I'm a bit of an outsider here as I own a R1200R. I joined this forum for a different perspective on accessories for and advice about the many common features on these bikes (the discussion on AUS/NZ mudguard has caught my attention!). My question is about one of those shared features - the OEM crash / protection bars.

I bought my bike used, and it had these bars mounted. I've decided to remove them for a couple of reasons, but after looking at the BMW parts lists, it's unclear whether I need to replace the lower bar/frame/engine mounting bolt with a shorter one, or reuse the one that is holding the bar on at this point. My assumption is that the existing bolt will bottom in the engine case and will need to be replaced with a shorter bolt once the bars are removed. The BMW parts list for the engine protection bars kit shows an M8X35 bolt for this mounting point (#4 on this page: http://parts.bmwmotorcycles.com/a/BMW_2016_R1200R/_51523_7317065/Engine-protection-bar/77_0722.html) - however, the bolt in this position on the frame parts list is an M10X45 (#5 here: http://parts.bmwmotorcycles.com/a/BMW_2016_R1200R/_51518_6525002/Main-frame/46_1671.html). Given that this bolt's primary purpose is an engine mounting point, the larger size makes sense, but doesn't square with the kit bolt size. I'm either looking at two different things, or there's something I simply don't understand when looking at these images.

Is there anything else I need to consider when removing these protection bars? For example, the torque for the replacement lower frame mounting point/engine mount bolt?

Help is appreciated!

----
    Edit: Since writing this post, I've gotten some feedback from forum members and have removed the bars.

Engine Guard Part:
    The part that was on my bike (different from that linked above - and less confusing): http://parts.bmwmotorcycles.com/a/BMW_2016_R1200R/_51523_7317066/Engine-protection-bar/77_0907.html

Mounting details:
    Front upper bar mount: The front upper tab of the bars mounts behind a frame tab via an M8x30 screw, washer and spacer that comes with the bars. The order of parts from outside-in is: screw->flat washer->frame tab->spacer->bar. The bar tab (chuckle) is threaded to accept the screw. Torque is 19Nm.
    Front lower bar mount: This mounts directly to the crank case using an M8x35 screw and flat washer that comes with the bars. Order is: screw->bar tab (with attached spacer)->washer->crank case. Torque is 19Nm
    Rear lower bar mount: This mounts on the surface of the frame using an existing M10x45 screw. The order is: screw->flat washer->frame->crankcase. Torque is 55Nm.

Other Notes
    There are two engine guards listed on the various parts pages - the link above is closest to what I took off my bike. In addition, the installation instructions provided by forum member Mr Vrooom were labeled as "retrofit" and references two screws and a reinforcing plate (per side) for the front upper mounts that my bike didn't have (which has one screw and a spacer per side). I don't know if the retrofit was a earlier or later version of the bars, or if for some reason factory applied bars are different than those sold after the fact. FWIW, I haven't yet found a part number that includes the reinforcing plates.
    The instructions for "retrofit" guards were inconsistent regarding thread locker. It seems reasonable to assume that medium strength Loctite should be used on all points when mounting.
    Fun fact: the M10 hole (including the frame thickness, but not the bar's tab thickness) is 52mm.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    ray2 likes this.
  2. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Matt, welcome , come on in. Don't worry about being naked, our member Bravo seems to spend a lot of his time like that and no-one minds :)

DABs, boxerboy, Leon.P. and 4 others like this.
  3. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Well-Known Member

I installed these bars on my wife's '16 RS. I bought the set from a BMW in Colorado through Ebay.

I apologize for not being able answer your question directly. I remember the instructions were a little confusing.

I seem to recall having a couple of bolts left over after the installation.

How much do you want for the bars you're removing? I have a 2nd RS that could use a set of these.

4. mousejockey40

mousejockey40 Active Member

Quality...:D:D:D

boxerboy likes this.
  5. duccrazydave

duccrazydave Member

Hey Matt. Can't speak to the bolt situation, but Duds can hook you up with that fender.

6. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

Matt,
    Hermy's BMW told me they would order the fender. Dubs took care of me before Hermy's got the answer from the Home land.

7. goodman312

goodman312 New Member

Who/what is this Duds/Dubs? A forum member? You guys will have to excuse me - I'm new here (and new to the BMW environment).

I'd seen a lot of chatter about how messy this bike is but figured the commenters were people that like keeping their bikes pristine. Then my first ride - on a wet road/no rain day - opened my eyes... :)

Matt Goodman

Mr. 36654 and duccrazydave like this.
  8. goodman312

goodman312 New Member

Mr., you have accurately predicting my future intention (disposing of the bars). I'm going to wait until I have this removal question worked out and alternatives (lower profile) in hand before thinking too hard about that! I'll keep you in mind though.

Matt Goodman

9. duccrazydave

duccrazydave Member

goodman312 likes this.
  10. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

Measure hole. Measure bolt. Cut a bit off if necessary.

Stick Rockwell likes this.
  11. goodman312

goodman312 New Member

Chuckle. Measuring the hole depth will answer at least half - and perhaps all - of the question. Thanks Jim.

12. Mr. 36654

Dubs is a forum member from the UK. He's doing this as a favor to us in the colonies. Buys and ships at cost.
    I suggest trying Hermy's BMW. They'll ship direct to you

13. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

I wonder if it's available to all US dealers now?

14. Mr. 36654

They have to order from Germany.

15. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

When my dealer tried to order from Germany the system would not let them place the order.
    Makes me wonder if a change has been made recently.

16. duccrazydave

duccrazydave Member

Yeh Lee. That's what I ran into with dealers, first in the NC/VA area, then a couple on the west coast.

17. Mr. 36654

When Hermy's contacted BMW AG, the corporate answer was it will not fit. However, I could still order it at my own risk.

18. duccrazydave

duccrazydave Member

Perfect fit for the RS, not sure about the R.

19. goodman312

goodman312 New Member

Mr Vroom helped me out with photos of his installation instructions - they answered my question about the lower mounting bolt (though it didn't help my confusion with the parts fisch!) and included the torque.

Thanks @MrVvrroomm!

MrVvrroomm likes this.
  20. goodman312

goodman312 New Member

Here's a synopsis of the installation instructions (or de-installation, in my case) for others who may have the same question(s).

The BMW Stainless crash bars have three mounting points. Their location, screws and torques are:
    - Upper front (tab on frame): Two M8 screws (different lengths), 19Nm. Both screws are part of the installation kit, so neither need to be replaced after removing the bars.
    - Lower front (to crankcase): One M8 screw, 19Nm. The screw is part of the installation kit so does not need to be replaced when removing the bars.
    - Rear (to frame/crankcase): One M10 screw, 55Nm. This screw is not part of the installation kit - it is a "stock" piece that is reused when mounting or removing the bars. It is replaced into the same hole.

As with the parts list on the BMW parts fische, the installation instructions have errors and inconsistencies. For example, the M10 screw on one side specs Loctite 243, the other side doesn't and the numbered indicators for the lower M8 and M10 on the right side are reversed. The first one is a bit puzzling, the second one is easy to work out through the images and descriptions. Nevertheless, I'm surprised at the lack of quality!

Stay warm!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    MrVvrroomm likes this.