No customization options are available.

Puncture repair

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tyres/Tires' started by Willy, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

Thanks Bravo!

Bravo likes this.
  2. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

Ofcouse that would depend on the compressor. I have a relatively cheap one an I have to plug it in directly to the battery (via SAE dongle) and have found that it runs better, inflates faster, if I run the engine. A better compressor would likely not need the engine running.

Bravo likes this.
  3. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

No problem.

4. Bravo

The bike is ok but my car one works better with the engine running.

5. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

So, after the puncture, even with Bravo's small tool, have you ever plugged the tire and later installed a patch to use the remaining tread life? In the case of car tires, that was a common thing to do. However, in the case of MC tires, I'm almost embarrassed to mention it, especially in front a BMW crowd....... But, then again, I've never had a puncture on a MC tire, let alone one with remaining tread-lie.

UncleBob likes this.
  6. Bravo

The Dynaplug lasted the remaining life of tyre,riding two up at highly illegal speeds. Couldn't fault it. (No patches)

7. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I have used "radial" auto tire plugging strips on a couple of motorcycle tires in the past with good results. No leaks or issues when wearing the tire down to the wear bars. But I will admit that they are a bear to install into a motorcycle tire, so I prefer the more dedicated motorcycle tire plugging devices like the ones mentioned above and now carry those on all of my motorcycles - except for my Royal Enfield. On that thing I just keep my fingers crossed that it will automatically avoid any nails laying along its path. :rolleyes:

UncleBob and Bravo like this.
  8. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

A nervous Nellie, I carry multiple air supplies - the 40 gram CO2 compressors in the rear panel on one side (with a small all-in-one tire plugger on the other), the Stop-n-go compressor already mentioned, and the all-important bicycle hand pump that I use more than any of the others as I touch up the pressures on tour....

And on the trips to no-man's land, I carry tire irons and rim protectors, figuring that once in a lifetime, it might be faster to sew-up and boot a sidewall tear than to wait for help.... Though there is some sentimental value, I'll probably hang these permanently in the garage sometime in the next year or two.

Bravo likes this.
  9. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

In all it's vintage glory, my soon to be 31-yr old tire repair kit. Delivered to me on 30 March 1986 with my brand new K75c (no. 30 of the US imports). Until last July, I carried this thing with me on every ride. The R1200RS doesn't Tire Plug Kit-2.png have a place to store it.

Bravo and ray2 like this.
  10. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

by coincidence I found my kit, - same Rema lit, no BMW roundel probably 8 years younger. Never used it. It used to be under the seat of my 1994 VFR750, then 1996 TDM, then 1999 CBR600FX, then 2000 R1150GS. I put it in the box with my old maps a while ago. Probably 2011 when buying the Super Tenere. Carried a can of Tyrefix since 2005 when a free one was given to me with a service, which is a lot easier to use. Anyway, was trying to locate something and looked in the map box. The plastic bag has disintegrated and all of the contents are scattered about the box.

11. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I have had about 4 of those BMW-brand tire plugging kits in the past. Fortunately, I never had to use them as I couldn't figure out what you were supposed to do with those weird square-shaped plugs. ;)

12. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

I have the optional BMW kit, which I have broken down and stored under the side pods to the seat. I had to bend the reamer slightly with heat so its handle would conform to the side pod. I have had the same kit on the R1100S, but it was more conveniently housed under the seat.
    On the Spyder, I carry the Slime pump and a plug kit. I have not had to use it on the Spyder, but I did use the pump on a colleague's bike when he had a flat, and needed to run it about 2 k to the dealer.
    The Slime pump works, slowly. But note it vibrates and moves around and it gets quite hot.

ray2 likes this.
  13. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

I have a large ziplock bag of those from past BMWs. I'm going to starting carrying them on the bicycle instead of a pump.

ray2 likes this.
  14. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

I'd be interested in knowing how many of the CO2 cartridges have carried their pressure through the last 25 years. (I don't carry the compressor on my bicycle, but I do carry a couple of cartridges in addition to a pump..., to match my belt and suspenders. Not all my experiences with CO2 cartridges have been as advertised.)

15. Scott

Scott Active Member

My small compressor was not supported by the Canbus, ran for a very short period and stopped. I have installed a direct fused connection to the battery and it works well.

16. Peejay53

Peejay53 New Member

Has anyone come across this product?
    http://bikeseal.co.uk/
    (website seems a little flaky)
    It looks good but I'm hoping someone has actually used it. It has UK Defence and Police accreditation and is on the NATO approved parts list.
    I talked to them at the London bike show today and asked about tpms compatibility, specifically with relation to BMW. They said, 'no problem' but I'd like a non-partisan view.

17. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Never heard of this and in my opinion it is not a product that I would ever trust on anything that has 2 wheels and no spare. It flows to the injured site, which means that the "smoothie" can flow wherever it wants including on my TPMS sensor. No thank you.

Al D and Bravo like this.
  18. Al D

Al D Active Member

I tend to agree can't be good for the TPMS !

19. Bravo

My wife get this once a month,makes my life hell she does.

Willy likes this.
  20. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

Not sure about this product but Slime say their similar product will not affect TPMS.

The FAQ for this product say it is okay for some TPMS - bear in mind, some TPMS use tyre diameter as this can be approximated using the ABS sensors

I still carry a can of Tyrefix or similar and will use it if this is the pragmatic solution after a puncture. I don't like the idea of a prophylactic additive to the tyre as you will not know there is a foreign body and this may go on to damage the tyre further making a repair impossible. Whereas, if you get a flat tyre, you will remove the foreign body before fixing and inflating the tyre.