No customization options are available.

Pulled the Trigger on a new BMW R 1200 GS Exclusive for 17

Discussion in 'BMW R1200RS Forum Announcements' started by Stixx, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Stixx

Stixx Active Member

Well I threw a lot of money at the RS trying to make the ergo's work for me and finally just gave up after talking to my favorite tech. He nailed it when he told me it looked like I was trying to make the RS into a GS and I'd be better off to just buy the GS and be done with it.

So I did just that and I am not going to withdraw from the forum because I get a kick out of you guys and have really enjoyed the year with y'all.

be well

Ray Elliott aka "Stixx" l

2. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Thanks for stixxing with us :)

Slipstream, Stixx, Igster09 and 3 others like this.
  3. To and Fro

To and Fro Active Member

Yeah. Much better than stixxing it to us

Slipstream, Igster09, Leon.P. and 3 others like this.
  4. boxerboy

boxerboy Well-Known Member

I hope you are happy with your decision and enjoy the GS, I'm sure that if the mods to the ergonomics pass a certain level then it is a sure indication that you're turning the bike into something other than what its meant to be.

Leon.P. and Stixx like this.
  5. Stixx

Stixx Active Member

Precisely . It took my tech to point that out to me because I was so wanting to make the RS work.

Leon.P. likes this.
  6. petey

petey Member

Great...I like a HAPPY ending.

Leon.P. and Stixx like this.
  7. Stixx

Stixx Active Member

BTW mates, I have boxes with a few goodies that are not going to transfer well to the GS. There is the Three windscreens , stock, MRE Tinted with spoiler , and the other one escapes me. All of them worked well , the OEM being the loudest , the Tinted Power bronze was very similar to the OEM but not as noisy, and the MRA tinted with spoiler was the quietest and offered the most range of wind directing which was nice. There is of course a '"sport seat " which raises the rider higher in the seat and has an odd sort of pitch in the center which I found to be good for only about 300 miles but offered much needed leg room.

I have also the Sargent "High" world sport seat , driver only , and once again Sargent does a great job. Pretty much solved the pressure point issues and gave much needed room fore and aft. They say it is higher than the standard but slightly lower than the OEM sport seat. I concur with that notion. I am transferring the Clearwater "Darla's " land the Billy flashing brake lighting can opener system unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse I will be moving it to the new bike . I really liked the fork mounted system for the RS but the version of mounts for the GS will not be to my liking so I will probably move them up to the under beak location using the standard OEM mounting system. I'm not altogether sure I will even need the lights on this new LED GS set up so if someone wants to pony up the 700 bucks I got in the lights I'll though in the Canbus and Billy flashlight rear brake as well. Together with labor it was about 15oo dollar line item and most of us can install it ourselves as I have downloaded the manual specific to the GS. I ride very little if at all at night so I may just go with the new can opener and add a top box flashing light system like I had on my Explorer last year.

OK , then there is the Pannier liners from BMW. Read on here not for everyone, personally I would not leave home without them if I had an RS with OEM bags.
    Be offering them for about half retail plus shipping to US l

We'll that's about it for here . Anyone want to chat me up here just notify not going to change that but probably add myself to the new GS W's if only to learn a few nuances about the new electronic packages mine had including some pretty cool suspension goodies.

regards

Stixx

8. Bub

Bub Active Member

Conversation started about the windscreens you have.

9. Stixx

Stixx Active Member

OK guys and gals, the Sargent seat shipped so I have only the "sport" OEM seat left, and the Power Bronze tinted windscreen is history as well. So that leaves the MRA Vario dark tint screen left and I will sell it for 100 bucks and the Liners which are listed now on here in the appropriate place.

cheers

10. Bub

Bub Active Member

Assuming you've been able to put a few miles on the new GS, I'd like to read your impressions of the bike Stixx. What characteristics you do or maybe don't favor as much as the RS?

Last month while getting the 24K mile service done on my bike the dealer gave me a new demo GS Rallye to ride. I've ridden GS' on short rides before, but I ended up putting 100 miles on it before I was done, a nice test ride. I enjoy riding them, and it was in the high 80s and pretty humid. It was very noticeably hotter riding that bike vs. the RS, and it wasn't anything like summer hot around here. When moving at any speed it was fine, but man it was hot in town! I could see owning one at some point, but that aspect is troublesome to me. What are your thoughts?

11. Stixx

Stixx Active Member

Wow 24K already : I thought I was doing a lot at 22K in less that the year. LOL
    Well your dealer was nice to let you test the GS for a long ride as that is what it takes to feel the differences. Funny too, I noticed just recently that my GS was putting out considerably more heat than my RS ever did and that might explain why the RS comes with the big blob of styrofoam painted black in front of the engine just below the radiators which due to the GS having the paralever front end does not have. Whatever the reason the out put of heat when no moving is noticeable as it was on the Triumph Explorer that I had before . I guess it goes with the water cooling wash from the radiators .

Not sure what I can say but for me as I ride long distances more than commute I have really found the GS to be so much easier on my body than the RS was that I'm going to stick with it / I had planned to buy the low version due to my inseam being borderline short but the Exclusive version I rode and ended up buying was not the Low model but had an optional "Comfort Seat" and with it in the low position on the bike and the suspension set to "MIN" on the Dynamic and Induro modes I have found I am almost flat footing it most of the time. Those were issues as were leg room because my knees no long like being bent for long periods and the addition of BMW adjustable pegs and the bike being naturally taller made the bike feel way more roomy. I do plan on adding some bar backs just to make standing up easier.

All in the bike is geared shorter and therefore will consume a tad more fuel ... I was surprised, though , as the trip we went on this past week was about 1000 miles all in and I averaged for the four days ride in all types of mountain riding and interstate an honest 50 mpg overall. So I can live with that. The tires that come on my bike are AnakeeIII's and are noisy which took some getting used to . At 40 mph and again at 60 they sing like a screaming dive bomber and irritate the shit out of me.

All in though , I really love the bike . Every day at the end of the day I was not hurting anywhere at all and this group rode hard and a little fast at times and I would have been whipped on the RS.
    Caveats:
    Please , no one take that personal. It is all about fit for my wretched rode hard put up wet body and a bad knee smashing crash two years ago that limit my ability to ride in anything but an upright bike. I had a HARD TIME deciding to part with the RS due to its being so light feeling and exciting to ride as well as great looking but the newest GS is not quite as ugly as I remember them being and I'm doing a bit of wrapping color wise to make it match all that damn leather I bought for the blue and grey RS. hahahahahah

cheers

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    Bub likes this.
  12. Bub

Bub Active Member

Glad to hear you're happy with the bike, the GS is a great all rounder. Apparently the heat issue wasn't just my impression.

13. tim

tim New Member

I'm interested in the MRA if you still have it.

14. Stixx

Stixx Active Member

I do have it. You can contact me here in Atlanta at 404 663 1762 call or text
    and email at reassoc1@bellsouth.net Also mention your location, helps estimate shipping costs.
    thanks.

15. Stixx

Stixx Active Member

One other item left from the RS is one of those high "Sport" seat .. One of the three OEM seats that I"ve tried on the RS . The Sargent is already sold as is the dark windscreen mentioned earlier. There is the rod adapters for the SW Motech soft luggage which makes the Blaze side bags fit the RS . If someone pays me enough to ship them to them , you can have them for shipping costs . They will Not work on anything but the RS or possibly the R model Water cooled. I was looking to sell the SW Motech tank bag but find myself using it on the GS after all even though it is not the best fit.

16. Stixx

Stixx Active Member

Thanks to "Bruce" as he has just bought the MRA Vario Windscreen and also the OEM "Sport" seat which only leaves the OEM bag liners which I am going to offer at $100.00 each USD shipped to lower 48 by USPS snail mail. Or 100 each plus shipping if you want the expensive UPS or Fed Ex solution.
    Cheers

MrVvrroomm likes this.
  17. shootersteve77

shootersteve77 Active Member

Yup - I was sitting on a GS with low frame the other day at the dealer and if I was to buy the RS today - I'd go with a GS. I love the RS but can't get it comfortable even with the two different risers I've found. I'm just not sure putting the GS or R bars on the RS. I will kill the good sporty looks of it.

18. Slipstream

Slipstream Active Member Contributor

I love his music.

4c42e7431bc355532ea6aabde9c3d00e058a8464e5fc7544b178f57e685c1e6c.jpg

19. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Agree with your viewpoint. If comfort cannot be achieved on the RS then it makes little sense to me to get the RS and then turn around and modify it into an "almost GS". The GS is a great bike and is more suitable to the older body. The RS is a sport bike and many of these changes just make it look "peculiar".

Just my 2 cents of course. We all have different tastes. :)

20. saizou

saizou Member

I've been tempted too. The GS just feels a lot more 'utilitarian'. A friend has his crash bar on his GS wrapped with lights and it's like a sun beaming on the road. You could ride all night with it. Plus it doesn't look goofy when you're hauling weeks worth of gear. And then when I was photographing his bike he insisted I sit on it...omg, the ergonomics just feels right. I don't particularly have long legs but I could foot it better than the RS.

Attached Files:

darrell likes this.
: Grumpy Goat