No customization options are available.

Protection "Package"

Discussion in 'Parts & Accessories' started by TheRidingObsession.com, Jan 20, 2018.

1. TheRidingObsession.com

TheRidingObsession.com New Member

I'll try and be humble about how I phrase this intro. The truth is that buying this bike was a BIG event for me. Unlike *some* (not all) BMW owners I've met in the past, I won't often have the bankroll to "buy the thing that does the thing that has the BMW emblem and is twice the price because excellent".

I actually bought the bike because it has the look, feel and features I was after in one package. With that, I NEED to protect it and this loaded question of a thread is precisely about that. On with it, then ...

What protection "package" (combination of purchases from various entities) will best protect my bike's motor and plastics?

I'd like to know that the motor is safe and that any minor stop and flop (of which I've had two in my entire riding career) wouldn't even touch the front fairing or rear cowling.

I guess what I'm asking is ...

If my only options are frame sliders or engine guards, what's the better investment?
    Are BOTH an option?

Asking as needed but felt maybe others would benefit from me puttin' it out there.

2. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

I've gone for the engine bars, not everyone's cup of tea but I find them ok. One essential that the majority of the members on here would recommend is the MachineMart Moto Mudsling to protect the rear shock, this is a really good investment which works and is easy to fit.

3. TheRidingObsession.com

That's some excellent noise right there. Thank you.

I also like the Avant Guard and may even use both it AND a fenda extenda.

4. TheRidingObsession.com

I'm not looking to keep things light for track days or anything per say as this is purely my touring machine. I've always wondered if having both crash bars and frame sliders defeats their purpose but in the end, I think not. Why not protect the engine and give the bike something to land on first?

But then I don't yet know if both could be installed.

5. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone makes frame sliders for the R1200RS. They do make sliders to protect the final drive and the forks.
    Instead of frame sliders most use a guard to protect the cylinder head cover (valve cover)
    Number 1 choice seems to be MachineArtMoto and next choice is the BMW guard.

6. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

:) (This thread should be interesting....)
    A lot covered elsewhere.
    Recent notes from icy roads in Belgium suggest engine covers and swing arm protection should do the trick for just about everything.
    I went with BMW engine sliders at purchase and R&G protection at front hub and swingarm. (http://www.rg-racing.com/browsebike/BMW/R1200RS)
    On the road, I consider lighting part of my protection package, and added Clearwaters front and rear.
    I have some off-road riding planned for next fall, at which point I might throw on a skid plate. If I knew I was going to be doing a lot of trails and setting the bike down and picking it up a lot (oh, my back), the engine protection bars would have a place.
    I'm pretty conservative, and haven't yet figured what the mud slings, extended fenders, and radiator guards do, other than require additional vigilance for loose pieces on a trip (although Darrell - a man who thinks more deeply and rationally about these things - uses them in spite of his ability to avoid riding in the rain.) You might review his posts.

upload_2018-1-20_14-27-16.png

Huh. I now note the scuffs on the pannier covers - obviously an additional level of protection..., though my only fall was without the bags.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  7. PaulB_UK

PaulB_UK Active Member

To my mind, "protection" is one of 2 types.

Type 1: Throwing the bike down the road protection.
    Crash bars were already fitted when I bought my bike, and I plan to fit a few crash bobbins that should help - front wheel, and shaft/swing arm, for example.

Type 2: Long term weather protection (aka Why The F*ck Didn't BMW Factory Fit That)
    Mudsling is probably the most important, otherwise the rear shock gets caked in road crud continually.
    Avant Guard will stop road crud cooking onto the front of the engine.
    Front Fender extender: should also help with the above.
    Hugger: I know opinion is divided on this, but I've gone for one.
    Rear "wide" mudguard (can't think of a better description). As per this thread:
    http://www.r1200rsforums.com/threads/auz-mudguard.4576/#post-70321
    I've fitted all of the above in an attempt to try and reduce (a) long term damage - mudsling, Avant Guard and fender extender and (b) stopping the rear of the bike getting caked in crud when it rains - hugger and wide rear mudguard.

Cheers

Paul B.

8. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

You and I are of exactly the same mindset and in the same position. I only have this one bike presently and don't have the wherewithal to buy / maintain / outfit others. So I fully understand where you are coming from.

To answer your question - there are more than one thread on this forum on protection in case of a drop, and there is no one definitive answer that is universally adopted by all. What I can say is that all agree that the horizontally opposed engine's valve covers are a liability in the case of a drop and they should be protected. I will offer this however - if you are interested in engine covers and want the best protection that covers would provide, then do not get half covers; the MachineArtMoto x-head covers.

9. AZGeek

AZGeek Active Member

Good to see that you are considering a "stop and flop" vs. a more catastrophic crash which is likely going to defeat most protection options. Sliders are great but something is still bound to get damaged in a high speed crash. And the Tupperware on BMW bikes is ridiculously expensive (a lesson learned from personal experience).

I just put the OEM engine guards which should help in a more controlled "stop and drop" scenario. With the side cases on then the back of the bike is protected --- at the expense of the side case. If you don't have the side cases then some rear protection like a swing arm protector or rear slider set should help. As to your question on which is a better investment, you should also consider head covers which can be cheaper to replace than some engine guards.

10. Jasper

Jasper Active Member

Engine crash bars and mudsling. I had a low speed drop in a car park and the crash bar took the impact with no damage to the rest of the bike, just a small scuff on the crash bar. Mudsling I have found to be excellent for keeping road crud off the rear shock. As a minimum I would recommend fitting these. I have an avant guard in the garage too that I haven't got round to fitting yet due to the fact it clashes with the OEM spotlight bar I have fitted. I need to modify the spotlight bar or invest in the alternative Machine Art Moto light bars which don't interfere with fitting the avant guard.

11. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

Bagster tank cover, BMW cylinder head protectors, Machineart Moto Avantguard / Mudsling and AUS/NZ rear fender.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  12. LQB1

LQB1 Member

I have OEM head protection, Wunderlich rear slider (http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/8160663.html) and front slider (http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/42152102.html) on my RS. All came with the bike when I bought it. Fortunately, I have not have to test the effectiveness of these protections, but Wunderlich generally makes quality products. If it were up to me, I would add the Machineart Moto x-head covers as they do cover the entire head, rather than the OEM head protectors. Based on experience on a GS, it's very easy to have the bike roll up onto the upper half of the head, even at a stansdstill!
    As others have mentioned, the Mudsling is worthwhile, as well as an Avantguard or similar. (I have both.)

13. Soch

Soch Member

I've had my bike for a little over a month, and as for protection, I've added, like @ray2 , the BMW cylinder head cover guards, and also the Mudsling rear fender. IMG_2395.jpg IMG_2393.jpg

14. Soch

Soch Member

I'll probably do something for the front end too soon, maybe the Avant Guard or a front fender extender.

15. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

I hung my lights on the crashbars. In fact, that's why I got the bars rather than cylinder head guards.

16. Jasper

Jasper Active Member

Do you have any photos of the mounts you used to attach the spotlights to the crash bars please Jim, that might be a good route for me to take. Then I can get my Avantguard fitted.

17. Stick Rockwell

Stick Rockwell Active Member

TRO.com, I'm of the opinion that one should always economically improve their ride based on a thoughtful vision of what they want in the future. For example, if you eventually want some driving lights, add the engine guard to mount them on. If you just want cylinder head protection, choose head guards for that possible drop and slide. I don't think there's anything that will protect panniers besides a low deductible insurance policy! Protect those areas of your precious purchase with the end game in mind. As others have stated and what's on my RS are the MaMo head covers and their Avant Guard engine protector. I'm aware that Revzilla is now sell the engine guard at a newly reduced price. There mudslinger will be a future add for me as well as potential hand guards. Nothing has been officially announced, but hand guards for the cast steering head could be in their future. There's a lot of choices out there. Be sure and look for images on this forum, to find what looks and works right for you. Stick.

ray2 likes this.
  18. Neo

Neo New Member

Red Wunderlich Crash Bars
    Wunderlich Paralever Slider
    Wunderlich Sidestand Switch Guard
    SW Motech Front Fork Slider
    Evotech Radiator Guard

Attached Files:

Stick Rockwell and ray2 like this.
  19. Stick Rockwell

Stick Rockwell Active Member

Neo, I've been looking and like the SW- MOTECH Engage tank bag's size and fitting. Is it electrified, and what GPS relocate kit did you use? Fine tuning makes all the difference, doesn't it. Nice looking! Stick.

20. PaulB_UK

PaulB_UK Active Member

Hi Stick,

In case Neo doesn't get back to you for a while, I'm fairly sure the GPS mount is by Hornig.
    https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig....gation-and-Communication/GPS-Mount-44015.html

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Paul B.

Stick Rockwell likes this.