No customization options are available.

PR4 v Metzeler

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tyres/Tires' started by GordonH, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I have been riding for 55 years and have only hated two tires. The ME880 and the Bridgestone S11. Both seemed very slippery when the ambient temperature was cold or wet. Otherwise I am fine with any tire that holds air. ;)

2. Daboo

Daboo Active Member

I'll toss out my recent experience, even though the bike isn't the same.

I had a Honda NT700V (Deauville) with PR4 tires. I sold it with 17,000 miles on the tires and estimate they could've gone another 3000. Traction in the wet was good, and that longevity was great. On the F800GT, I had the OEM Metzeler Z8 tires and I changed those prior to going on a trip at 11,499 miles with Metzeler Roadtec 01s. I loved the new tires. The feel of the bike in turns was beautiful. Unfortunately, they only lasted 6000 miles.

I can't blame that totally on the tires though. I suspect it was from two factors. First, the roads I was on had a lot of chip seal pavement. And second, on that chip seal, I was wearing down my "chicken strips" a lot...so I was probably riding harder than normal. Still, 6000 miles is not much in comparison to the PR4s and Metzeler claims the tire is better than the PR4.

I made an appointment to get new rubber on the bike halfway through my second trip in Rapid City. The Honda dealer had Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs in the size I needed. I rode with those on through Canada back to Seattle. I've got a little over 2000 miles on them now and they show very little wear. Handling seems as nice as the Metzelers.

Road surface is one of the biggest factors I think in tire wear. We have a lot of concrete here in the Seattle area that has round smooth rocks in it. I think that's the reason why I could get 20,000 miles on the PR4s. But I doubt the Metzeler could reach that. The Dunlop looks like it might come close.

Wet weather traction on both the Metzeler and Dunlop tires was excellent.

Chris

3. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

For those with worn Z8's, did you notice a change in tread compound color (in the center) when the tire neared it's end on life? While properly inflated, the center was dished (dipped or cupped in the port - starboard direction) and the exposed tread compound color was a bit grayish?

That was at ~7400-miles and I assumed it was near the end of life.

4. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

Yes. And about 100 km later the belts were showing! It happened to me twice, and it's why I won't buy Metzeler again.

5. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

Back in my K-bike days, the Lasertecs were the go to choice. But, OEM's delivered on my 99 R11RS wore quickly and these didn't impress. Typically, I get less mileage on the front than the rear by ~2000 miles. With the OEM Metzlers, the rear tread (outboard of center) looked good (no apparent wear bars near the middle of the tire) while the front showed the wavy tread wear inherent (IMHO) to the tread pattern. There was, possibly, 500-miles left on the front tire when the grey-ish compound material was exposed on the rear.

I guess I'm surprised by the lack of wear bars on the Metzler rear tire. Using the chords as a wear indicator seems a bit aggressive.

BTW - My dealer (Hermy's near Reading, PA) offered very reasonable prices for the replacement tires and installation.