No customization options are available.

PR4 v Metzeler

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tyres/Tires' started by GordonH, Apr 20, 2017.

1. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

Just to add to the on going tyre saga.

I dropped my bike off for its running in service this morning (700 miles, RS SE, fitted with PR4's) and picked up a courtesy bike (RS SE, 700 miles, fitted with Metzelers). I set up the courtesy bike to my settings (Road, 1 helmet and luggage and "rain" mode...as it was raining...).

So - same settings, same bikes, similar mileage, same over weight, middle aged bald bloke in control.....and the difference was truly amazing.....Metzelers gave the bike a much more light and sporty feel. quicker to change direction, better low speed control (surprisingly, as I filtered along the A50 and M1), no tramlining, nice and stable at speed....and plenty of grip in the wet (much more like T30s or Angel GTs). PR4s feel sluggish and less precise in comparison.

Now I know there are debates on longevity/quality of the Metzelers v PR4s .........but my conclusion (based on my limited tyre testing skills!) is that I prefer the Metzelers - they bring the bike to life.......in my opinion, others may disagree!

2. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Nice comparison where the variables are restricted essentially to just the tires, and by "Metzelers" I am assuming you are referring to the Z8s, the alternative factory supplied tire.

However, longevity is the elephant in the room for a bike with the RS's mission profile and that for many will outweigh the advantages you perceived. Then there is the strange wear behavior that Codydawg experienced.

What would be nice is if the Metzelers were the Roadtec 01's whose only [possible] shortcoming as far as I can tell (from anecdotal evidence) is road noise ... :)

Thanks for posting the comparison, though. :)

Leon.P. likes this.
  3. GordonH

Hi GG - not sure if Z8's or latest 01s (assuming they are still the originals as bike had only done 700 miles and recently registered) - I'll check on way back to the dealers this afternoon (and update post).

My biggest surprise was how noticeable the difference was.......almost within 100 yds of leaving the car park!

Leon.P. likes this.
  4. Grumpy Goat

Within 100 yards eh? That suggests something else might be at work here. ;)

While checking which Metzelers, do one more thing - check the tire pressures with the same tire pressure gauge. If the Metzelers are higher pressure than your PR4s then that would explain the handling, especially right off the bat. Wet road grip was likely not tested fully to the limits of adhesion and might well be insignificantly affected by the Metzelers under higher air pressure.

If the pressures are the same between the two brands then the variables would be limited further and the comparison would be even more accurate.

5. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

Gordon, that's really useful information. Thanks for posting. Do you have any observations on levels of feedback? I'm starting to find the PR4 front a bit 'dead' so I be interested in your view.

6. GordonH

..I don't think it was pressures....bike still rode softly, grip was good (no knee down due to conditions, but not hanging around either), no feeling of "skittishness" that you normally get with over inflated tyres. The feeling was more akin to the one you get when when you change a pair of tyres - usually this is caused by the return to a sharper profile on the new set.....I think the PR4s have a more flatter/rounded profile compared to the Metzelers (which are more pointy?).

Feedback was more granular on the Metzelers - a bit sharper, PR4s a bit "wooly".......but conditions didn't allow me to really push hard.......although I did manage to trigger the rear ABS on my bike en route and didn't manage to do this on the courtesy bike......

Leon.P. likes this.
  7. folagana

folagana Well-Known Member Contributor

After 3 train of PR4, I got a set of Z8.

PR4 absolutely perfect in winter. Z8 much better in dry conditions

8. GordonH

Courtesy bike fitted with Z8s

Andy Griffiths likes this.
  9. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

The conclusive evidence ...one more thing ...what colour was the loaner :)

Scorch likes this.
  10. GordonH

....Lupin Blue, of course.....

RonkoRider likes this.
  11. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Ha ! Magnificent - fastest bike, best tyres - oh my week is complete

boxerboy, Bravo and oscarguitar like this.
  12. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

Were they both 2017 models? Or 2016s? Final piece of evidence. Having had both, I think the 2107 rides better and is smoother, the 2016 handles better and is faster.

13. GordonH

Both 2017 Euro 4 bikes.

14. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

Another tyre thread? I feel a lynching coming on:)

Scorch likes this.
  15. GordonH

Don't worry - I'm going to start one on the benefits of keyless in a minute....

Scorch and oscarguitar like this.
  16. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

Every time a tire company comes up with a new tire tread design the price of the tire goes up. Personally I was always very happy with the ME33 design - and its price. :)

17. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

Don't forget oil either:)

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  18. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Oh where, oh where can I get Avon SMs (Speed Masters)?

They have high hysterisis rubber and a practical flat tread.

They were the premium tyre in 1970.

Their profile did not deteriorate with wear, unlike those new fangled Dunlop trigonics.

Or you could buy Iouois (can't recall spelling) that were the OEM tyres for Suzuki which had no significant wear issues but were quickly replaced by owners for some reason.

You see, back in the old days there were real choices. And real reasons to whinge....

19. Grumpy Goat

I hear you but if you do get that last data point then your contention would be doubtless, in my book at least. :)

20. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I have a pair of Dunlop K70 tires ready to be installed on my Royal Enfield when the stock Avon Speedmaster II tires wear out. o_O

Aussie Import likes this.