No customization options are available.

Power Commander, Confirmed for RS

Discussion in 'Exhaust System & Fuel Delivery' started by lj516, Mar 28, 2016.

1. runnerhiker

runnerhiker Well-Known Member Contributor

BMW has to meet emissions to get a bike certified, there is not a single condition in which they would not run the absolute leanest condition. I don't believe a mapping system could find a single point that would run leaner than the BMW program.

The events taking place inside the combustion chamber are not stoichiometric, there will be some hydrocarbon molecules that will never meet their air (oxygen) counterparts and there won't be complete combustion. To get the most power requires running a little rich to ensure every oxygen molecule is consumed, but that leaves some hydrocarbon molecules unburned and increases emissions. Every after market mapping will increase the fuel to air ratio that the OEM could not do to meet emissions. The opportunity is there, it happens, but it is not going to improve mpg.

lacemi likes this.
  2. Rman

Rman Member

This would likely be true for closed-loop operation, however the PCV is trimming the open loop map in the BMW ECU since the O2 sensors are disconnected. I would think that the open loop mapping has to be be richer across the board in order to cover all potential operating conditions. Hence there is some room for leaning by the PCV.

3. lj516

lj516 Active Member

About 5k on the pcv so far and everything is working great. Another consideration is that I have an aftermarket air filter and exhaust so there is another reason the pcv leans out the mixture from stock. The auto tune also worked very well in the mountain passes of glacier national park to the flat plains of South Dakota.

4. lj516

lj516 Active Member

I recently found out that the PCV has a gear input function to tune a map to each gear individually. I tapped the gear sensor under the battery tray and have a tentative tune in 6th gear cruise range for 14.0 afr. I have yet to try out the tune as I'm working on the headlights.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

P.S. I also updated the first post with DynoJet UK confirming the use of the GS PCV for the RS.

lacemi likes this.
  5. JStClair

JStClair Member

I have one on my 12R, w/auto tune, and it "feels" better overall than any of the off the shelf maps. I am going to start with a booster plug, and try and get it dyno'd, then look at the PCV for mine.
    I had my 10R done by a shop in Houston who tuned the stock PCM, but the bikes don't have much ability to correct for large altitude changes; the Autotune gives you that ability.

Lastly, here is a great read on the GS LC with the PCV on it... http://superbikesolutions.blogspot.com/2015/07/bmw-r-1200-gs-lc-liquid-cooled-tuning.html

Crib notes, stock 113 RWHp, 112 ft/lbs trq. after PCV and tuning 121/119.. so gain of 8 hp. And nothing else done to the bike.

6. James Kennedy

James Kennedy Active Member

Did you replace your exhaust system, full, or are you still stock?

7. lj516

lj516 Active Member

I gutted the cat from the stock system and made my own carbon fiber can based on the oval yoshi cans. I'm guessing it's a very close equivalence to a full system.

8. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

I guess that's all legal in the US, given your government's attitude to greenhouse gases, pollution and climate change.

TimMc likes this.
  9. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I just read an article in my newspaper today that said that U.S. refineries were shipping some really nasty stuff that results from refining Canadian tar sands, called "petroleum coke" to India. It apparently is cheaper and burns hotter than coal. However the stuff contains 17 times more sulfur than the U.S. limit for burning coal. So we ship it to India to get rid of it and they burn it in their factories and pollute their environment. Everybody wins, unless you happen to live in India and breath air. :rolleyes:

10. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

You're right, I just checked out the same article and it's a bloody criminal shame on both our countries.

11. runnerhiker

runnerhiker Well-Known Member Contributor

US refineries have the ability to remove sulphur from any raw crude it receives, once removed, the sulphur is sold as molten sulphur. The products that leave the refinery will have a sulphur spec, usually in ppm or ppb, that refiners can dial up or down to meet customers and countries specs. Canadian Tar Sands coming in can be scrubbed to meet any sulphur spec for a product leaving the refinery. You can't blame Canadian Tar Sands.

12. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Thanks Runnerhiker. The real world knowledge and skill set of the forum is impressive.
    There must be a cost to remove the "brimstone" as Aussie diesel fuel is said to be so high in sulpher that it causes maintenance/performance issues with European cars.