No customization options are available.

Power Commander, Confirmed for RS

Discussion in 'Exhaust System & Fuel Delivery' started by lj516, Mar 28, 2016.

1. lj516

lj516 Active Member

So, as most are aware there is not a Power commander out for the R12RS as of yet. However, there are models for both the GS and RT. As both have the same engine I would guess that the models and maps are going to be similar... So I am taking the plunge and have a PCV (meant for the GS) on the way. I'm guessing that I'll have to modify the maps and I'm perfectly ok with that. I'll be sure to let everyone know the compatibility and success of my endeavors!

EDIT:
    The UK DynoJet site confirms that the Power Commander V for the GS is directly compatible with the RS.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  2. lj516

lj516 Active Member

It WORKS!!!!! Delay not my fellow riders! The PCV completes the fueling in ways the gov. won't allow(at least here in the states). First and foremost, install was very straight forward and simple. The only modification needed was the grey wire that connects to the left cylinder throttle body servo needs to be lengthened by about 6". However, there are many ways one could route the wire harness to each cylinder and that may be unnecessary. Just follow the supplied directions in the kit made for the R1200GS and install is simple enough.

Next, you will want to download the PCV software and maps for the R1200GS available on the powercommander website. You will want this software on a laptop. I started with the stock map for the GS just to ensure the bike started. I then downloaded and uploaded the map(using the supplied mini USB cable) for a European bike with a full exhaust system as this is closest to my current setup.

Taking the bike for a test ride I noticed a much smoother transition through the entire rev range, NO popping or surging on decel, and much smoother quick shifts. Obviously more power comes naturally with proper fueling.
    My next steps will be to connect my wide band 02 sensor/logger and start fine tuning the fuel map. I'm also going to make a fuel efficiency map that will be accessible using a switch so either a power or efficiency map can be selected on the fly depending on my requirements.
    One could subvert this last step with the purchase of the Autotune module. This is a wideband 02 sensor that will dynamically adjust the map to suit changing temps and elevation. I may end up getting this module anyway just for the peace of mind that I'm getting proper fueling no matter where I'm at or what season/temp.

Honestly guys, if you have a slip-on exhaust spend the $300(Ebay) and do it the right way. And even if you don't a completely stock system will still benefit from the addition of a PCV. I mean, if cost is a factor here I'm not sure what you are doing with an 18K bike in the first place.

One last thing, if and when they do come out with a PCV for the RS the hardware used will be identical to what you see here. Then only thing that will change are the fueling maps.
    (please excuse the messy bike, it's a wet soppy mess here in South Dakota)

Left side, grey wire needed the 6" extension.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Any knowledge or opinion as to how this type of modification is treated by BMW's warranty department?

4. Tony101

Tony101 Active Member

Not very well............. but it's quick to remove!

5. lj516

lj516 Active Member

From what I could see on other forms (first page of a Google search) it varies from dealer to dealer but regardless if the item being warrantied does not involve a pc then they will be obligated to fix it. Or just do what most of us would do and that is take it off.

6. Tony101

Tony101 Active Member

I was assuming an engine related issue, not a collapsed wheel bearing or flaking paint...........................but knowing the motor trade, they would still try to blame the PCV!

7. lj516

lj516 Active Member

I decided to give the auto tune a try. I found a used two channel module on eBay for $165. I've started the process of manually tuning the cruise map but decided it would be better to have a fully integrated system capable of adapting to any environment.

8. lj516

lj516 Active Member

AutoTune(AT) arrived today, the new wideband O2 sensors fit into the stock sensors bung so no worries there. I'm missing a cable so i'm going to get creative in order to connect the AT to the PCV. Also, the model I got on ebay was a used unit that is "meant" for a HD. Meaning, it is a dual channel model with a power plug that connects directly into the harness. I went with this model as it was the same price as a used universal single channel AT and all that was required to adapt it to the RS was to chop off the HD plug and solder on a couple battery terminal ends to connect Batt+ and Grnd-. Hoping to have it installed and running this evening, will update with pictures!!

RJC_BMW likes this.
  9. Kyriv

Kyriv Active Member

Is there a way for you to do a before/after dyno?

10. lj516

lj516 Active Member

Usually there is a dyno truck that comes to a local dealer for a HP contest of sorts. I can do a stock map run and a modified run as well. I'm fairly certain they even do a full dyno tune as well.

Kyriv likes this.
  11. Troppo

Troppo Member

You don't need it on Oz bikes.

12. Kyriv

Kyriv Active Member

If you could do stock run and a modified run, for posterity's sake. I'm all for the scientific method. :D

13. lj516

lj516 Active Member

What is an Oz bike? And honestly, every bike could use a power commander. They are tuned for compliance to laws not performance.

Peter G likes this.
  14. jon_in_the_fog

jon_in_the_fog New Member

Hi! There seems to be an PCV 5 option for the RT. It should be more like our RS, or?

15. Steve L

Steve L Active Member

surprised they haven't done one yet for the RS or R, a mate of mine has GS and he runs a full Arrow system and was very happy after he connected the PC V and fine tuned it on the dyno. He only gained 10 more HP but said it has much better bottom and mid range now. I will most likely put one on when they come out, as with running an aftermarket muffler I am getting a lot of decal popping. Even though it sounds good it is not necessarily good for the engine as its most likely running a little lean.

16. lj516

lj516 Active Member

I know, it would seem pretty obvious that they should release a model for both since I've proven the hardware is the same. Tune will be nearly identical as well, although since the air boxes are Different there will be done subtle differences. I would recommend to anyone waiting just to get either pcv meant for GS or RT and get things tuned properly. I've done over 1000 miles so far and had nothing but smooth operation

Steve L likes this.
  17. Kyriv

Kyriv Active Member

It must be because I'm used to twin engines, but I do not find the stock RS to be rough, before or after adding a full system with the stock tune.

My RS only backfires when engine braking in 1st gear, or rapid deceleration when it hasn't fully warmed up. Backfiring on deceleration only means that the engine has unburned fuel in the exhaust, and does not necessarily mean a lean condition.

Randal likes this.
  18. Randal

Randal Active Member

Does the PVC make the bike more fuel efficient by any means?

19. runnerhiker

runnerhiker Well-Known Member Contributor

No. Manufacturers program the bikes to run lean, all aftermarket manipulations of the fuel control make the bikes run richer.

20. lj516

lj516 Active Member

Not true at all, there are large portions on my fuel map that lean the mixture. Primarily in my cruise ranges.