No customization options are available.

Pirelli Angel Tires

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tyres/Tires' started by Roadnwater, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Roadnwater

Roadnwater Active Member

Has anyone fitted Angels to their RS, and how does the handling compare with the PR4's if so?

2. r80sdon

r80sdon Active Member

I absolutely loved the Angels on my K1200RS and will probably give them a try on the RS soon...

3. Roadnwater

Roadnwater Active Member

I fitted Angels and they are in my opinion a great improvement over the PR4's. This relates to the feel and traction.

The RS has somewhat slower steering than the R and even the GS by design, and I was never happy with the amount of effort to initiate turns. I hypothesized that this was exacerbated by the Michelins given my experience with Michelin Anakees on the GS. Changing to Tourance Next tires on the GS quickened the steering and made it more sporty. The same thing happened on the RS with the Angels to an even greater extent. I believe that the PR's are "slowed" by all the fine sipes and the rounder profile. The bike tips in much easier now and is still linear, holding a line as well as the PR's. I am delighted that the RS nows feels like the sporting bike I was after.

Concerning traction, there is no doubt that the PR's are excellent rain tires on good pavement with the fine sipes. My comments following are particular to my circumstances and what is important to my needs. I feel that the lack of larger sipes inhibits traction when there is fine gravel or sand on the road, as the tire tends to ride on top of this stuff. Most of my riding is in the mountains on tight roads, and particularly in the winter we get a lot of this on the roads in the corners. This is where many people low side crash and an important consideration here for tire selection. A road oriented tire is clearly not as good in these conditions as a GS with dual sport tires and tread blocks that cut through to find some pavement. I find that the Angels while not as good as dual sport tires in this are better than the PR's. I have less sliding in the corners and feel more confident.

It is early days and I will follow this post with more on wear patterns and life.

4. Tony101

Tony101 Active Member

My Tiger Sport came with Angel GTs, and they were fine. But so were the PR3s and Road Smarts!

5. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Impressive review.

6. r80sdon

r80sdon Active Member

I have used the Angels many times over on my K 1200RS and was always extremely happy with their performance. I will give them a try as needed on my RS. I'm fairly certain they will be just fine. It's just fun to look at the tread!

7. loubre

loubre Active Member Contributor

I ran several sets of Angel GT A specs on my K1600GT, best tyre I found for handling, grip and longevity on her, only problem I found was they would tend to scallop up on the front getting to the end of their life which was detrimental to the handling, didn't like them on the RT, seemed to slow her turn in and just didn't feel right, so went with Bridgestone T30 GTs which were excellent and is what I'll be replacing the current PR4s with next week.

8. Roadnwater

Roadnwater Active Member

I look forward to your review of the T30's over their life. I will let everyone know if I have any uneven wear on the Angels.

loubre likes this.
  9. Phillo

Phillo Active Member

I have been quite happy with Angels on my K1300S both with road holding and wear capability..

10. mdowens

mdowens Member

I had a set of Pirelli Angels on my Kawasaki. I threw them away part worn - just scary in my opinion. They only seemed to grip in high temperatures. In cold, wet UK conditions just like riding on ice.

11. Jeroen1969

Jeroen1969 Well-Known Member

Dunlop Road Smart 3 on my RS. I'm so happy with them, I replaced the Michelin PR4 on my R1200RT with Dunlop RS3 (must add they had 15.5k km of wear... just under 10k miles), it was as if I had a whole newly designed RT! Lately I was a bit reluctant taking the RT to work iso the RS because the RS handled so much easier than the RT on PR4. Now with both bikes fitted with RS3 tyres the difference in handling is less. So, when it rains I take the RT, when it's dry I take the RS.

I did consider the Pirelli Angel tyre but a comparison review in a Dutch Motor Cycle magazine made me choose the RS3 (because it was considered to be the best "All Year Round/All weather" tyre).

12. SD-Biker

SD-Biker Member

just added a set of Angel GT's. Can't speak of wear, but they are my new favorite tire. RS almost feels nimble. I thought the Metzlers that came with weren't too shabby, but the Angels are noticeably lively in a great way. I've run pr3 and pr4 in the past on a k1200s and never really liked the responsiveness. If I can 6000-6500miles I'll have to stock up

13. Dejocko

Dejocko Member

I have been a Pirelli Angel GT A spec fan for a long time. I've had them on three different bikes and they are the most confidence inspiring tire I've had.

I seem to get 4500-5500 miles a set but I am a larger rider (6'5" 240lbs) and ride two up with luggage nearing or occasionally exceeding max GVWR. I also go fast...a lot...and average 34-36 mpg.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  14. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

I've got Angel GT's on my Duc and they are a very well balanced tyre - more than enough grip (dry at least, the Duc doesnt go out in the rain much!), are very stable and confidence inspiring.

No idea how they will wear (the "Angel" logo has gone from the rear tread in around 1000 miles, still visible on the front) or how they would perform on the heavier RS (Duc weighs about 185kg v 236kg for the RS)