No customization options are available.

Pinlock Transition lens insert (C3 Pro)

Discussion in 'Helmets, Leathers, Boots and Gloves' started by Charles, Dec 6, 2016.

1. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

This is true with many vehicles/aircraft with digital screen output.

The other reason I avoid polarized lenses is that they will blunt the glare from a vehicle in my peripheral vision or junk on the road. Although glare can seem blinding at time, I believe glare allows me to pick up vehicles or bits and pieces of vehicles (image of a chrome bumper in the middle of my lane immediately flashes before my eyes) a little earlier than I might with polarized lenses.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  2. PeTe T

PeTe T Active Member

I did ask but a rosey-coloured pinlock is not available.:D

Willy likes this.
  3. shorn sheep

shorn sheep Active Member

I've been using a light reactive pinlock screen on my shoei for a couple of years now and it's the best set up I have used. Prior to that I was stopping to put shades on or take them off all the time. Vision is much improved overall as I'm not looking through 3layers of perspex now only 2. A shame these inventions are not available for all brands of helmet

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  4. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

After 2 years have you seen any changes in reactivity to light - darkness? Speed?

My photochromatic visor reportedly wears out after about 2 years, and since the pinlock lens is thinner and more delicate I would think that it would have an even shorter lifespan ...?

5. Daboo

Daboo Active Member

I had a helmet with a photochromatic visor. Never again.
    As they say in the advertisement, it takes two minutes to clear up...not much good when you're going into a long tunnel.
    The biggest objection I had was that if the sun is directly above the road you're on, you can't gain any "sunshade" effect by using sunglasses with a partially lowered sun visor.

Chris

6. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

Why not far a helmet with a retractable sun visor. When it's bright and warm you can leave the main visor up and have the sun shield down.......perfect! Cures the tunnel issue as well:cool:

7. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

That also works for me. I have a Shoei Neotec helmet with a drop-down sun shade and like it a lot. :) I also have a Scorpion EX-500 helmet with a similar shade, but the helmet is a bit too small for my head, even though a similar sized EX-400 (without the shade) fit fine. It appears that Scorpion went cheap when designing the helmet and made room for the sunshade by taking it out of the interior of the helmet instead of designing a new larger helmet shell to accommodate the sun shade works. :( On both of these helmets I still place a piece of electrical tape across the top of the outside of the face shield to block the sun when I am riding toward it at sunrise or sunset.

8. Grumpy Goat

Agree that 2 minutes is no good for tunnels, but how much of our riding is in tunnels? Even if one has that as part of a daily commute? In such a case I would simply raise the visor enough to enable me to see. Job done. For me, so far the benefits far outweigh the downsides, chief of which is cost.

Not sure I fully understand your second paragraph. Assuming you meant that the sun was low and ahead, shining into your eyes - this is no different from when in your car, and the fact of the matter is there is no really good solution. One could wear sunglasses behind a dark visor (photochromatic or otherwise) and a different problem would crop up - other than the sun area of your visual field, everything else is dark and can't be seen anyway. And if there are bugs and other refractive objects on the visor, the blindness only gets worse.

Just my 2 cents. :)

9. Grumpy Goat

Internal retractable sunshades are a nice solution, but unfortunately they don't come with all helmets (my Shoei RF-1200 being one) since they are not allowed by certain safety standards, e.g. Snell. Same goes for modular helmets, i.e. modular means no Snell.

Leaving the visor up - that option for me is not often used at speeds above 30 mph. Don't appreciate bugs and grit in my eyes (they do get by glasses) or the drying effect of the wind on my tear film.

10. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

According to the package insert, big problem is that the photochromatic shield won't fully clear under low-light conditions after months of use in bright sunlight.

For what it's worth, the photochromatic shield comes in a foil package. I fastidiously have kept the shield in the foil between trips. I haven't taken calibrated photometer readings, but so far, no visible decrement in performance after 2 y and 250 h of use.

GG - (and I second the nomination for best logo/avatar), I'm surprised that with your background and love of all things engineering, you haven't hit the company up for testing and a YouTube review.

11. Daboo

Daboo Active Member

I was afraid that it wouldn't make sense. Hopefully this explanation will be easier to understand. :)

One of the streets near me is 164th. Traffic is bad in the area and compounded by the 5 stoplights at the freeway interchange, it can take 45 minutes to get one mile in rush hour traffic. There are a lot of times when you're riding and the sun is just above the road, directly lined up with the road. On a car, you can lower the opaque sun visor and get by. It's not pleasant, but works. With my Lazer Monaco, the visor was photochromatic and the entire visor darkened.

(Now I'm getting a bit fuzzy on my memory because I've been using a Shoei Neotec for the past couple years.) It seems to me that I couldn't get the visor to stay down only where I needed it, and it wasn't dark enough to do much good in the sun, even with sunglasses on as well. Like I said, I'm fuzzy on this. What I remember though, is I couldn't get a good "fix" for riding into the sun with that helmet. On the other hand, when I know I'm going on that street into the sun, I can put on sunglasses and lower the Shoei sun visor just enough to block the sky where the sun is and leave the lower portion open so I can still see my dash and traffic. It's not perfect, but it works.

I've probably only made this clear as mud. Sorry. And yes, I want to move to get out of this traffic.

Chris

12. Grumpy Goat

Hehehe .... thanks for the clarification on the performance of the photochromatic shield after 2 years. I don't put it in the foil but I do keep it inside the house or in the dark when not in use, i.e. away from UV rays, so I hope to get at least the 2 years which I allowed for during the purchase.

As for testing the Transitions shield .... that would have been a big effort to approach a large company like Shoei. I'd need a much bigger channel before I can get manufacturers to send me stuff to test. :) That said I might be able to announce testing on another product next week. Don't want to say anything now and jinx it. ;)

13. Grumpy Goat

Thanks for the clarification. Another thing that you might want to try is grey transparent vinyl tape to act as a sunshade at the top of the visor. I know it is not opaque but it helps. I had that on my old helmet and it was an improvement. I am yet to put it on my Shoei visors.

14. shorn sheep

shorn sheep Active Member

it still seems to change quite instantly say if going from full sun into shade, never had any scary moments. I was skeptical at first but it's well proven itself to be good, so far!