No customization options are available.

Picked up my RS today

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by Vtbob, May 22, 2015.

1. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

After a long wait, I got to pick my RS today. Only had time for a 60 mile ride home...more tomorrow.
    I got the grey version with all the options except the Alarm.

It did not come with the LED front light strip...dealer could not find in listed any where. My quick scan of the owner manual "seem" to indicate it is an option that can be added later. ???

Mine came with the high seat....much better for me than the low seat the R I test rode had.
    I'm 5'9" with a 29 inch inseam and can easily flat foot and move the bike around while on the seat.
    The pegs are too high for my old knees...I have ordered a 1.4 inch lowering kit from suburan-machine.The are just finishing the first batch up ..it does not yet appear on their web site so just call them.
    The bars seem a bit low for me but I want ride 1000 or so mile before i make any decision about moving that.
    Windscreen. For me, in the low position, my head is pretty much in free moving air. It does take much of the pressure of my chest. Spring is buggy in here in VT and the top half on my helmut got several bugs on it. In the up position my helmut is largely out of the free air, bug hits reduce dramatically, the wind blast seem to be max at about 2 or 3 inches above my helmet.
    Bottom line is BMW did a good aerodynamic design with this screen for wind.
    My guess for rain it will be much inferior to the RT screen,,but only a rain storm will prove or disprove that speculation.

The GPS (Nav V) integrates all engine/bike parameters on the screen just fine.

Sorry but my picture is too large to be uploaded

2. Jeff Ritter

Jeff Ritter Member

Sounds good - happy with the sound? engine? transmission? Have you tried shift assist?

3. James

James Member

Literally just picked my bike up and rode ~20km back to work. I'm loving the sound, opening the throttle creates quite the noise & starting has a lovely bark too. Shift assist is excellent coasting to a halt, haven't had much chance to try shift assist accelerating yet - weekend beckons. Did notice shift assist is a bit rough between 1-2 but that's not really a surprise, and I'm not helping by subconsciously moving the throttle I think. Similar screen observations and bars don't seem too dissimilar to my old Street Triple (though I've been off a bike for over 3 years so wouldn't swear to it).

I rode past a building site (it's been a wet week) and it's now covered in mud too :-(

Oh, burnt my thumb poking around the exhaust - be careful! ;-) Mine is the blue one with all the options (again, except the alarm) and came with the LED strip lighting

Wonder if the GPS prep is easy to take off, not really interested in a GPS

4. macca

macca Administrator Staff Member Contributor

I have increased the maximum size for uploading files for you guys, the default was set a little low but you should be ok now as I have upped the limit to 5000kb.

Looking forward to seeing that pic now @Vtbob

Vtbob likes this.
  5. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

IMG_0012.JPG
    It sounds pretty much like the other WC bike...maybe a bit more bark at open throttle....not a lot maybe a bit...not offensive.

The transmission is fine, shifts well, quiet. The shift assist is GREAT...it work best is extremely smooth over 40mph. Just have to remember to be either on the throttle or off. Banging the shift when you are feather the throttle confuses it some.

I suspect in time I will be using it nearly exclusively....because it does a better job of shifting than I do.

Here I am at the dealer before taking off

Kerry likes this.
  6. Jan van der Meij

Jan van der Meij Member

Congrats guys! I hope to get mine next week, but my dealer is not very informative about it (the wait is long...)

7. Chet

Chet Active Member

I forgot to ask my dealer about it, but I wonder if the LED strip light only comes on non-U.S. bikes.

Oh and grats Bob. /sigh if only my dealer was closer..

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  8. Chet

Chet Active Member

I just had the dealer send me a pic of the front of my bike and there's no LED light strip. I'm definitely thinking this is a feature outside the U.S.

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

9. blanchman

blanchman New Member

Wow, the bikes are starting to roll in... So nice. I'm jealous ! Maybe just have to run by the shop today to see if anything is up. Thanks for the pics guys, things are looking pretty good in the pics. It's also quite good too hear that the wind protection is OK. That is the one thing I've been worried about the most. My R1150RS has a larger CE Bailey screen to provide me the protection I want, I'd have to assume the aftermarket will be slow to adapt to these bikes, because that scene has quite a complicated screen design over my old RS. I think from what I've read that BMW has a larger screen as well, does anyone know if that is true ?

Anyhow, getting more excited as the days go by, maybe have to go transfer some funds in preparation

10. blanchman

blanchman New Member

But, I would like that LED center light, it's sorta in vogue these days, hope that option is orderable for us US folks...

11. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

My understanding is the daytime running lights ( strip between headlights) is a factory option available on price on an R1200RS, part of the package on the R120RS Sport and R1200RS Sport SE. There does not seem a way to retro fit without great expense as the extra parts and moldings differ.
    Just had a call from the dealer and although my sport se is on track for first week of july I can take their bike out for a couple of hours test ride next week.
    Looking forward to getting a run out having only seen an incomplete bike, just out of the crate, last week.

12. Geebee

Geebee Member

Congratulations to the first owners here. Lucky you.
    Production date for mine is now June 1st so I expect to have it a week later or so. This said, today I sat on the first S1000XR in Poland. It's a demo bike but I didn't drive it. Apart from being a Multistrada clone it really looks nice and sits well (the standard seat being too high for me). But we're diverting from the topic.
    One thing I noticed with the LED strip on the XR though is that you actually toggle between the LED daytime running light and the regular front lights by the push of a button. Both options seem to be road legal here (driving with light is mandatory for motorcycles in the EU). I assume it's similar for the RS but would be great if someone could confirm the similarity between the functionality of the LED between the XR and the RS.

13. Rocky R

Rocky R Active Member

I too, would like to have the center light strip, but live in CA. I just like the look of it better than without. Hmmm...

14. Giles W

Giles W New Member

• Hi Dave. I had an email from North Oxford today to say mine was due around early July as there had been a week or so delay. Also there is an SE available as a cancellation so may look at that (they will take off the satnav which I don't want as I find it too intrusive). Could be riding within 2 week!!:) Giles

15. Chet

Chet Active Member

The running light has a separate on/off switch on the left-hand control cluster.

16. Scooter71

Scooter71 Member

I just got a call from my dealer today my RS is in customs & may be ready for me next week....i am very happy. I am getting the matte grey/Black one with all options except alarm...not sure about the daytime strip light but i hope. i will post pics when i pick it up!

17. Jeff Ritter

Jeff Ritter Member

what state? my dealer doesn't tell me anything except it might be a month!

18. Scooter71

Scooter71 Member

Grand rapids, Michigan. I felt the same until today! I will be the 2nd person from dealer to get mine! I hope you here something soon!

19. brucewinter

brucewinter New Member

Picked up my metallic grey yesterday. short ride home in light rain. bike is perfect with the low seat. 29" inseam. disappointed no led running light

20. Eric van der Valk

Eric van der Valk Active Member

Congratz to the new owners! nice pic's ;) Drive safely!